Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Variator, roller weights and contra spring mechanics for dummies! Learn how it works

Originally posted by phidauex
    (..)
    One benefit, I'd like to add, about having a lighter contra spring, is the fact that it will hold a higher gear better. (..)

Well if you find that a benefit....

As I go of the throttle and thus the scooter will slow down, I want to scooter to "downshift" fast.

I hate it when you run a light spring, you go off throttle for a corner, then you want to full throttle out of the corner, but the scooter is still in a high gear, leaving you with zero torque to nicely accelerate out of the corner.
    :: Aprilia Rally ScooterMotard® - Retired ::
    [ Rally ScooterMotard Project Page ]
    [ Scooterbase ]

I agree drt-tuning! That is why I suggest running a red spring and changing roller weights to compensate! I also find that running a heavier spring lets me maintain speeds up hills much better also!
    02' SR Ditech - 03' Mojito Retro - 04' Mojito Custom

Visit Scootnfast.com for lots of scooter tuning tutorials and information!

ExTremE ScoOTeRs-
    ModIFied fOr PerFoRManCe!!!

apriliaforum newb
    another cracking illustration there scootnfast, I had sussed out the variator once I had it in my hand the other day but the clutch assembly was a bit of a mystery. I will keep the balance idea in my head for my new pipe and rollers which aren't far off! P.S. I cut off a restricter found in a joint halfway up the stock pipe fitted, Ididn't know it was there...DOH! what a difference, 5mph top end and plenty off zip now between 10-25, and even holding on hills better. Cant wait to see what an NRX with kit can do!

Excellent job there blackadder! Glad I could be of help! After all, it is nice to see that my time and efforts are paying off for others like you!

ExTremE ScoOTeRs-

apriliaforum Junkie scootertrog's Avatar
    Very nice job. Wish I would have had this when I first got into scoots!
    One thing that I had to learn the hard way, is to always start with lighter roller weights than you think you will need. I have seen too many people blame their acceleration problems on the carb when it was a matter of the rollers being too heavy.

Here here... But I have one small piece of advice, I think one should buy a heavy weight first, then trying it out to see how it works. If it is too heavy, drill the center out a little and try it again. Keep drilling a little at a time until you have a good weight. Then Weigh it and see how heavy it is. Once you know how heavy it is, order a new set at that weight. This way you aren't buying many different sets of weights.

ExTremE ScoOTeRs-

apriliaforum newb
    Hey scootnfast, I've got my new pipe,kit n jet. Will do the necessary tomorrow-saturday....if its dry( I live in Scotland ) If I hit a prob I may get back to you.

Had to laugh a bit at one of your posts saying" with fuel costs going up". Think yourself lucky, in Britain fuel is almost $6 gallon now!!!!

apriliaforum newb

So much help!

Man your help it crazy good. Pics and all. Is there a link or pics reguarding adjustment/changing the roller weights?

Jay

Hey Blackadder, Yeah I guess I shouldn't be complaining with our gas prices too much. You know how we americans are about our oil prices though... I guess when you get used to it being at a certain price, when it takes a large jump you tend to get upset.

As far as your roller weights go, I don't think you are going to have to change them. The roller weights in my mojito were about 6 grams. After I changed the pipe and the jet, it ran great with the stock weights. However my ditech had 11.5 gram roller weights stock. I had to go down to a 6.4 gram roller weight and a red contra spring for it to run good.

Jaydog121, I am not sure what you are saying about the link for changing and adjusting.... The posts prior to this are how you adjust them... It is all about what your scoot is doing and changing it to do what you want. If you read my posts on the de-restricting, it will show you how to get to the roller weights and change them. Here is a link to that page: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...&threadid=8617

At about the sixth post, it will show you how to change your roller weights.

ExTremE ScoOTeRs-

apriliaforum newb
    changed pipe, jet and rollers(6gram)....just the way you had shown and it was great knowing ahead what to do,only prob I had was trying to get those yellow clutch springs on,I didnt change contra spring but the small ones almost took my knuckles! What a difference, I must have been doing 60+, I'm guessing cos it went off the scale. Also power I never had and great acceleration between 10-40. Only down side is pipe is definately loud and I have to throttle right up to move away but when I do I have to hold on. First time took me a while but easier next time, like everything else, so if anyones thinking about it I would say yeah man, go for it!

Good Job Blackadder!

Glad to hear you're up and running... FAST! I know it is a little louder and it revs higher, but that's the key. These 2 stroke engines don't generate any torque at low rpm's. You have to get the rpm's up quick and keep them there for your peak power. Sound like you have it running good. Glad I could be of help.

ExTremE ScoOTeRs-

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thanx for the info. All of your posts with how to's and pics are what I read the forum for. If someone could post a how to, with pics for installing a malossi 70 cc kit for ditech it would be a great help. I have an 03 ditech with 5000 miles and an 02 malaguti f12 with 7000 miles and I want to modify both. thanx again
    peace

Not to worry, I just installed one on my scoot, and I took lots of pics. I will soon be posting it. I just haven't had time to edit the pics. Also I want to get myt cylinder broken in so I can run it full throttle to see how it performs so I can post performance results!

ExTremE ScoOTeRs-

apriliaforum newb

Variator tutorial and contra spring

Scootnfast,

Excellent primer on variators! Everyone with a modern scooter should read it.

I have to disagree with your recommendation for the Red contra spring. Everyone I've talked to, some with some VERY extreme set ups, say that top speed suffers with the red spring. The consensus seems to say the yellow spring gets the best overall performance.

Cheers,

joseph

apriliaforum prov-nov
    thanks scootnfast I can't wait to see. I'll be getting my kit in about a week so some good pics will sure be helpful.
    peace

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast