Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How good is the stock Sachs Steering Damper?

apriliaforum expert chrisscaines's Avatar

How good is the stock Sachs Steering Damper?

Just wanted to get some feedback on the stock steering damper... any close calls out there, or experience with this thing? Does it even work? No adjustment, etc.

Matris makes a killer damper, but it would be a shame to spend the extra $$ for it because you won't be able to see it under the Tuono. They are a work of art. My buddy just put a top-mounted Matris on his Brutale and it is stunning.
    Current ride - 2009 Dorsoduro, stock
    2007 Kawasaki ZX6R. Track only. Built by Advanced Kawasaki. Ohlins TTX rear/Cartridge front, full titanium Arata exhaust, Quickshifter, Arata rearseats, Mich PowerRace or Pirelli Dragon DOT race.
    Crashed - Fluro Red, 2006/7 Aprilia Tuono, Map2, Leo Vince Ti Factory Highmounts, Woodcraft front sliders, Corsica IIIs(street), Michelin Power Race
    2007 VW GTi, DSG, 18" wheels
    2004 Honda RC51 Colin Edwards Castrol Replica (traded in on Tuono)
    2004 MV Agusta Brutale S (crashed. Ouch!!)
    2003 BMW R1100S Boxercup Prep (sold. Great bike)

Based on my experience of two track days and about 3000kms of fast road riding, I would say that the stock steering damper does virtually nothing. I havent had what I would call a full on tank slapper yet, but i have come close to it a few times. I may have added to the problem a bit by dropping the forks to sharpen up the steering but I think the bike needs it if you are keen on track days. I also think that the ability of the bike to rocket out of corners under hard acceleration while still cranked over ,without losing traction, highlights the standard dampers shortcomings. I dont think you would notice it as much on an inline 4 where you probably need to be more careful feeding the power in.
    Just my opinion for what its worth. I had an Ohlins damper on my last Fireblade (a 954) which was a very flighty bike. The Ohlins completely transformed it. I have ordered an Ohlins for the Tuono.

apriliaforum expert chrisscaines's Avatar
    thanks blueblade... how many lines showing now? I'm going to drop the forks as well, possibly to four lines showing or 5mm, whichever is recommended. I have noticed a tendency for the bike to feel wooden at slower speeds. A slight geometry change would be welcome... it was fine for WSIR, but shorter more technical tracks would demand it... plus canyons. I have Power Race on the bike and that seemed to slow the steering down a bit. I haven't had any scary moments, but a damper is like insurance - you hate paying for it but your glad its there on the day. I'm thinking of the Matris. Checking prices now. Probably do the Ohlins from AF1, our proud forum sponsor.
    Current ride - 2009 Dorsoduro, stock
    2007 Kawasaki ZX6R. Track only. Built by Advanced Kawasaki. Ohlins TTX rear/Cartridge front, full titanium Arata exhaust, Quickshifter, Arata rearseats, Mich PowerRace or Pirelli Dragon DOT race.
    Crashed - Fluro Red, 2006/7 Aprilia Tuono, Map2, Leo Vince Ti Factory Highmounts, Woodcraft front sliders, Corsica IIIs(street), Michelin Power Race
    2007 VW GTi, DSG, 18" wheels
    2004 Honda RC51 Colin Edwards Castrol Replica (traded in on Tuono)
    2004 MV Agusta Brutale S (crashed. Ouch!!)
    2003 BMW R1100S Boxercup Prep (sold. Great bike)

blueblade, did you just order the RSV Ohlins? AF1 doesn't have it listed for the T and I'm not sure if there any difference other than where they stick em on the bike.
    08 FE450 Berg
    07 KTM690sm
    05 YZ250

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    the RSVR Ohlins damper works perfectly, mounts in same exact location

I just ordered one from Af1. I noticed a bit of headshake on the straight at Fontana.. not cool at 140 mph. With the OZ wheels and Tuono bars I have no problem turning the bike.. I think I will enjoy the stability of the Ohlins on the track..hopefully worth the investment. I will let you know in a couple weeks.
    2003 Aprilia RSV 1000 Tuono
    2010 Yamaha YZ 450F
    2009 Honda CRF 450X
    2008 Toyota Tacoma

AZren. I have ordered my Ohlins SD locally. It is SD 175 and is same as 04-06 RSVR. It is on AF1.

Chrisscaines.
    I have only gone down to 4 lines showing so far but I have also increased the ride height in the rear by 2-3mm using the lovely ride height adjuster on the Ohlins. Even with those two adjustments, I think it could handle a bit more. Was dicing with a few late model Litre bikes in the weekend (Fireblade, zx10 and K6 GSXR). The only one that could stick with me in the twisties was a very well ridden zx10. I was stuck behind him for quite a while in a very tight section and it just seemed to me his bike was dropping into the corners easier than mine. With the kind of riding I do, I value quick steering ahead of high speed stability so will keep experimenting for a bit longer.
    Last edited by blueblade; 07-05-2006 at 11:29 PM.

I just pulled out my Sachs SD from my 2010 RSV4 R to find out that there is no screw to drain the oil and replace it with a fresh thicker one... Am I missing something or it just cannot be rebuilt?

apriliaforum newb

How good is the stock Sachs Steering Damper?

I also have experienced a couple of tank slappers on my T on trackdays especially when exiting on 2nd gear (4,5 lines showing on the forks and fully extended RSVR rear shock)

I now have replaced it with a Hyperpro RSC. It does give you a lot more confidence. I did a side to side comparison and the hyperpro at the lowest setting was at least twice as hard as the Sachs. I now use it at about 5 clicks in the city and 15 (out of 23) on he track.

That said, for about a week I rode the bike without any damper at all and you could feel the difference.

So short answer... standard damper works... but it is also worth upgrading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found a good deal on an Ohlins SD001 68MM,
    I see that it has a moveable clamp so as to adjust it in a variety of positions on the body of the damper (obviously to be able to fit it on various bikes). Has anyone fitted a damper like this on an RSV4? Would this be possible?

Also, is the SD from RSVR Factory 2004-2009 compatible with the RSV4 2010?
    Last edited by gkourv; 10-07-2017 at 12:49 PM.

They all used to be made that way. The important thing is that the stroke length is adequate - actually a bit longer than actually deeded - for your mounting arrangement.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

Quote Originally Posted by gkourv View Post
    Also, is the SD from RSVR Factory 2004-2009 compatible with the RSV4 2010?
    According to the AF1 online shop, yes it is compatible. Check the parts and accessories board, they come up often.

It's just for looks, It doesn't do a damn thing. You can buy a Chinese hyper-pro knock off for $30 on eBay that is 100 times better, and I'm not even kidding

Quote Originally Posted by the todd View Post
    It's just for looks, It doesn't do a damn thing. You can buy a Chinese hyper-pro knock off for $30 on eBay that is 100 times better, and I'm not even kidding
    Are you referring to sd001 or the stock from RSVR? That bad? Even after oil change / rebuild?

Quote Originally Posted by gkourv View Post
    Are you referring to sd001 or the stock from RSVR? That bad? Even after oil change / rebuild?
    The stock Sachs, the Ohlins is great

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast