Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Front Wheel Bearing help needed

I have a set of these pullers http://www.powersportsplace.com/part...FYeRHwoduWIPVg You pick an insert that just fits into the inner race, back it up with something and then drive the wedge on the end of the bar in. The insert grabs the bearing enough to pound it out - the bearing is toast afterwards of course if it wasn't already.

Someone on this forum described making a tool that was basically a piece of tubing that had some cuts put into one end The tubing is then splayed out and then slid thru the bearing. when the splayed out section gets thru the inner race, it springs outward into the hole in the hub. Then you just pound out the bearing. It'll look like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkY879pMafE

Bigaprilia, from memory M16 rawbolt, insert, tighten bash the fcuk out of it with a hammer bearing comes out & is tossed in the bin.
    Repeat the other side, get new bearing & put them in.

Sorted.

Which part of Essex, was born in Burnham..........yes 6 toes and webbed fingers but................
    Fire Red Falco, my 1st Love.
    sidestand mod (Hayabusa), charging mod, larger sealed airbox, Gabro chip lower Buell rider pegs, braided lines, custom rider seat, home brew hard panniers, OHlins bouncer
    Add Two Tone RS Touring Futura'04, knock-off levers, charging mod, 05map, NWS hugger, Ohlins shock, 12v socket, lowered rider pegs, 848 twin exhausts, revamped plate hanger with pannier support.
    What's not to love!!.er

Thanks.

I have tried using my blind bearing puller insert and whacking with a drift and hammer but hard to get a good purchase on the bearing. NB: I live on Thorpe Bay old git

Al
    2003 Futura with Quill EVOII end cans, H-pipe, Power Commander III 108bhp @wheel
    2001 RSVR with Aprilia shotgun II exhaust, Aprilia race chip, Power Commander III 128bhp @wheel
    1985 GSXR1100 with 1109 weisco oversized pistons and liners, dyna coils, k-tech race CDI, Stage III dynojet, Ohlins rear shock, GSXR1100 WT front forks, GSXR1100 M front and rear wheels, 134bhp @wheel
    http://barnfindmotorcycle.com

I used a Snap-on Tool for my circlip pliers but I also have a set of these:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...circlip-pliers

They should work as well as the Snap-On ones I used.

For the tool to get the bearing out I bought a huge cold chisel from Machine mart for about 6. I then attacked it with my dremmel until the tip had a significant notch cut from the side and the edge of the tool was shaped kind of like this:

-------
    88888|
    -------
    8/
    /
    |

Then I put the new tool in the bearing that is closest to the notch and located the notch. This left a long portion of the tool sticking out of the wheel which I held on to with my left hand. I placed another punch (brass bar I use for transmissions) through the spacer till it was against the front of the cold chisel/ new tool. I hit this with a hard faced hammer while pulling on the new tool with my left until the bearing popped free.

I originally tried to drive it out with the new tool from the other side but only succeeded in rounding off the hoot I had made and damaging the spacer. The pulling method I used out of frustration and it worked much better.

Hope that helps.
    "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu
    2001 Futura
    Mods: HEL Front and Rear SS Brake Lines, Rear Hugger, Scott Oiler, Oxford HotGrips with eBay LED Dimmer Control, Garmin GPS and RAM Mount, Moko Frame Protection, Elextrex World MOSFeT RR with Wiring Mod, Tom Parker Metal QDs, Loud Ass Ford Transit Horn, Silicone Vacuum Lines, FPR Mod, De-Restricted Intake, 05 Map, Datatool System3 Immobiliser, Yamaha Starter Relay, BagLux Tank Cover and Alpha Bag With Power, Perelli Angel GTs, 25mm 170 Amp Power and Ground Cables, LED AUX Lights, LED Turn signals Converted to Running Lights, 3-Beam Main Beam Mod, Dash LEDs, HID Low Beam, Fuel Filler Neck Chop.
    To Come: Exhaust, Rear Shock, Forks and Brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by bigaprilia View Post
    Thanks.

I have tried using my blind bearing puller insert and whacking with a drift and hammer but hard to get a good purchase on the bearing. NB: I live on Thorpe Bay old git

Al
    I pulled all 5 wheel bearings (3 in the rear wheel) out of a Kawasaki last year with that kit I posted. It worked great. I did also use some penetrating fluid and heated the hub 1st with a heat gun.

I went the cheap route and used an allen wrench to fit into each slot behind bearing and a length of 1/2" pipe as a driver. Not fast but effective. Just have to make sure you're keeping bearing straight as possible. I was gentle with a heat gun for fear of damaging paint. Other side came right out with appropriately sized socket.
    01 Blue #84, 11/12 with: HeliBars, foam grips, 05 map, Borla cans (Replaced by 2" pipe)/stock silencer, derestricted, metal QD, dash socket, wiring mod. Me: Ford relay +10awg & grd, fuel pump rewire, FPR, vac hoses. Evap gone, CBR coils/harness+ Magnecor, clutch switch bypass. S.S. clutch & front line, RaceTech Gold fork, Cogent rebuilt Sachs, tapered head bearings. Added LED run lights/indicators/brake. All signals also run lights. All lights but Hi/park/brake on dash switch. Hi beam mod, vest plug, wiring block, blue dash SMD's/Red V meter, Tune IFT, PCIII gone. Stripped/polished rims, vented screen, rear petal disc. FH008 soldered DC plug/added grd/hard soldered AC. L/R dash indicator lights, RG frame/fork sliders, vented screen.

I've been slowly working on this job over the holidays and this thread was a huge help. My only wisdom for this trying this is to resist the temptation to do remove and seat bearing without heat. Using a mapp torch made a world of difference!!!
    Also I second going with good quality bearings. I had to remove bearings that were aftermarket and already sounding crunchy. These were on a relacment wheel that I bought to repair my bike after an accident. My wheel had a broken rim but the original skf bearings were smooth as butter.

I replaced mine last year when I had the wheels recoated.
    I looked at them and thought I could do more damage than good so I got a local bike shop to remove them on the way to the powder coaters.
    Took 5 mins and cost me a pint!! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beer Emoji.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	349016
    Andy

Current: 2002 Futura RST in Silver
    Datatagged, 05 Map, Metal QD, H Pipe, Bef Cans, RSV De-restrictive Snorkel, RSV Forks & Brakes upgrade, NGK DCPR8EIX Iridiums, Earthed Throttlebodies, FPR Mod, Vee Max Starter Solenoid with uprated cables, FH008EE RR & Wiring Mods, NWS Hugger, Oxford OF691 Touring Hotgrips, Accessory & USB Sockets, HID Headlight, Pirelli Angel GT's

Up in Flames: 2001 Futura RST in Blue
    Datatagged, 05 Map, Skidmarx DB Screen & Hugger, K&N Filter, Brown Connectors soldered, R&G Hotgrips,
    Acumen DGV, Scottoiler, Accessory Socket. BikeVis Bullets

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910