Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Learn how to DE-RESTRICT here!! step by step w/PICS!!

Well you definately need to re-map your computer... That will give the motor the capability to run at higher rpm's... But if yoour variator is restricted, then it isn't going to help a great deal... If the variator isn't capable of comming all the way together, then you won't be able to achieve your highest possible gear ratio. Without seeing the variator, I am reluctant to give youo advice to machining the shaft... I would just advise getting a new performance variator and re-mapping. The new variator will give you a little better acceleration than the stock would de-restricted any way. You are also going to want to lighten your roller weights. If you get the polini variator kit, it comes with 6.4 and 7.4 gram roller weights. Your stock weights are around 11.5 grams, which are way too heavy. I had really good luck with the 6.4 gram roller weights on my polini variator.

If you get the new variator and re-map your scoot, you should be able to get about 55MPH out of it with nice acceleration.
    02' SR Ditech - 03' Mojito Retro - 04' Mojito Custom

Visit Scootnfast.com for lots of scooter tuning tutorials and information!

ExTremE ScoOTeRs-
    ModIFied fOr PerFoRManCe!!!

apriliaforum Member
    I might just by a new performance variator. That polini one sounds good, is it called the polini speed control? If i just fitted the new variator to my bike without the re mapping what top end speeds would i get? Ive heard of a variator "holding tool", does this mean that u can take that nut off without an impact wrench, (i used an impact driver which did the job).

If you don't remap, you won't get yourself anywhere. There is a rev limiter that needs to be lifted before you can get any improved performance.

The blocking tool fits in your sparkplug hole and blocks the piston in place so you can remove the variator without an impact wrench. However, they make me very nervous! If you have access to an impact wrench, then thats the way to do it.

peace,
    sam

apriliaforum Member
    so ure saying my top speed wont increase if i just got a new variator and didnt have the re mapping?

Originally posted by ApriliariderUK
    so ure saying my top speed wont increase if i just got a new variator and didnt have the re mapping?
    Yes, that is what I'm saying.

apriliaforum Member
    Thanks everyone who helped me here, ure all great!! I derestricted my bike at the variator on saturday morning, and im getting it remapped this thursday. I ordered the back issue of september twist and go magazine and in there it tells you how the ditechs are restricted. The earlier model has a black injector and is restricted by the washer on the variator shaft. The newer ditech (my bike) has a smaller blue injector but there is no washer in the variator, and the shaft is not any longer as you may think, but the way it is restricted is by a ring that is secured by three screws which scootnfast metioned earlier in this thread. But my bike the one withe blue injector (03 model) does have the ring on the back of the variator but it is wavy and therefore doesnt let the variators sides to come completely together!! So i removed that and was expecting it to stay the same speed as phideux had said and suprisingly i can go 52mph flat out although it say 60 on the speedo. So you can get a higher top speed by removing the plate/ washer and not have it remapped. Hope this helps a few people later on. Ive now got plans of a Gianelli NRX pipe and some lighter roller weights as there is a dead spot from 35 ish to 40. Anyway thanks to everyone who put up with me on this thread.
    Cheers everyone!!!

apriliaforum newb
    where abouts is the Variater on aprilia SR50 cos its not liike the pic of the Mojito, is it ok to just take the washer out of here cos i dont wanna mess with any thin else ,

apriliaforum Member
    The variator on the sr50 is in the exact same place as on the mojito, and pretty much every other bike. It is on the left hand side as you sit on your ped and its sat right next to the rear wheel, you will see to plastic looking cases the one on top is the air box and the one underneath is the transmission cover. To get to the variator you remove the transmission cover and you will see a small wheel with fins on, this is the front variator where the restriction is. If you take this off using an impact wrench you will see a washer on a shaft that runs through the variator, if theres no washer youre bikes already derestricted, or you have the model with thw wavy ring. If you know your peds restricted and theres no washer then to derestrict it take off the other side of the variator, you will see a "wavy" shape ring held on by three bolts take this off and the bike will do 50.
    Hope this helps m8.

apriliaforum newb
    ok thankx for all the help, honestly its much appreciated, but i just have one more little question, wats an inmpact wrench, is it an air tool, ???

apriliaforum newb
    this is beginnin to be a joke, now i cant even get the first bolts off of the variator case, mine is not plastic and i can only get like 3 of the bolts off the other ones are so tightly done up that i cant get then off with a socket wrench,

An impact wrench looks sort of like a power drill, except that instead of just turning the bit in a smooth circle, it spins with a jerking motion. Its hard to describe, but its obvious whats happening when you see it. It lets you remove nuts from pulleys that are hard to get with a regular wrench, because the pulley turns. The impact wrench exerts its force on the nut in little bursts, so it doesn't let the pulley start to turn before its already begun to get the nut loosened.

There are pneumatic (air) impact wrenches, which are the best. However, you need a compressor, regulator, fittings, hoses, etc (which you'd be looking at spending around 200-300$ on to get started). If you are planning on setting up a more serious garage, its worth it to invest in a good compressor, and then buy air tools. The tools themselves are pretty cheap (10-40$), but you need a good compressor to make it worth it. If you aren't setting up a serious garage, just doing a little work on your scoot now and again (and more importantly, if you don't have the money to make an investment on a compressor), then you can get electric impact wrenches, which are often sold for working on tires, because they make removing lug nuts much easier. Electric impact wrenches are slightly more expensive (40-60$), and don't work quite as well, but you don't need to hassle with all the compressor stuff. Also plan on getting some impact sockets for it, which can cost a bit, because you'll need a really big one for the clutch nut.

Hope this helps!

peace,
    sam

apriliaforum newb
    yeah thank again for all the help, its refreshing for a forum to actualy help out newbs and not just laugh or ignore them like many forums do, cheers,
    Last edited by neoflare; 10-19-2003 at 01:24 PM.

Thumbs up Thanks

May I just say thanks - a truly brilliant thread. Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to share these tips.

I'm derestricting my Mojito Retro 50 tomorrow. I'll start with removing the washer in the variator, and fitting a Leo Vince Touring pipe, along with the weights that came with it.

I want better acceleration and a cruise of about 40-45mph, top speed about 50mph.

If that's not enough, then I'll rejet the carb.

Thanks again.

Jonothan
    1) 2003 Aprilia RS50 Repsol Race Replica - Leo Vince pipe
    2) 2003 Aprilia Mojito Retro 50 - Leo Vince Touring pipe
    3) 2004 Piaggio Ape 50 - 85cc Pinasco upgrade kit

apriliaforum prov-nov WhiteDevil's Avatar
    OK, now ive been on my scoot and got 43 out of her on a flat (got there quickly too) ive decided it needs to be derestricted, ive just got to hide that is is from my dad...

Ive managed to get 6 of the 8 bolts off the transmission cover, but i cant get the other 2 off... The 6 i had taken off were all loctited/glued in so ive had to clean that mess off, but the other 2 i cant move at all. Ive removed the air box totally and i cant move them with an allen key or a socket-type screwdriver...

Any ideas?

apriliaforum newb
    Hello,

Does anybody know how many lbs of torque should be applied to the variator nut when I put it back on? I don't think I have seen that mentioned anywhere. It probably does not make any difference but I have a Scarabeo 50.

Thanks,
    Raz

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast