OK, Well I have been reading through a lot of postings and I see lots of people asking how to de-restrict... And nobody really answers them with detailed instructions. So I went ahead and took lots of pics so I can post them for you newbee's!
Let me start by letting you know some basics...
1. If you tamper with the motor in any way to de-restrict it, some dealers will completely void your warranty. So make sure this is a sacrifice you are willing to make.
2. ALL bolts and socket head cap screws are in metric! Don't try to work on your vehicle if you don't have metric tools, you will just end up messing up the heads.
3. I own an 02' sr-50 ditech and an 04 mojito. The drive train (Variator, belt, contra spring, and clutch) are as far as I can tell, exactly the same... Other than the stock roller weights are lighter in the mojito.
4. The mojito has FOUR restrictions on it. they include: a jet restriction in the carb, a washer in the variator, and 2 on the exhaust. I will make several postings to show all the steps you need to complete the de-restrictions.
5. The sr-50 ditech only has 2 restrictions on it, they include: a washer in the variator, and you have to have a dealer re-map your injection system... You really need to get a high performance exhaust to get the performance though.
6. Results for de-restricting on my vehicles are as follows:
SR-50 ditech - stock had decent acceleration, and a top speed of 40-45 MPH. After de-restricting (Washer removal and re-mapping), I had a top end of 58 MPH, but had terrible acceleration, and a dead spot from 35-45 MPH. I put a gianelli exhaust on, and a new fly clutch. I used the 6.5 gram roller weights that came with the pipe, and I get 60MPH on level ground with great acceleration and no dead spot... And yes that is ACTUAL speed... I had my wife follow me in my jeep to verify my speed in case of inacurate speedo!
Mojito - stock... well it was a DOG!!! 30 MPH, 35 MPH downhill, with virtually no acceleration. After completing all 4 de-restrictions, a top speed of 47 MPH (verified), and really good acceleration... Everything else is still stock! The only thing I bought for it was a .8 mm jet ($10)!!! I have an Arrow classic high performance exhaust for the mojito also, but I recommend getting the leo vince pipe instead. With that on, I have even better acceleration, and a top end of about 52MPH flat out, and 55MPH down hill!!!
7. I am pretty sure that almost all aprillia models are relatively the same, and have pretty much the same restrictions on each... give or take a few restrictions.
8. OK, now that the ground work has been set, lets show you how this is all done!!!