Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Track day on the Mille......And I crashed it

apriliaforum expert

First Track day on the Mille......And I crashed it

I lowsided the bike and it slid into a concrete wall. Damage looks bad. I will know tomorrow how much it is going to cost. The top of the gas tank took the brunt of impact into the wall. The rear Pirelli Diablo let go and off I went. The tires were basically brand new, but it was hot and I was actually turning in some decent lap times so I guess I cooked the tire or something.

The whole thing was all caught on tape so hopefully I will get it posted up.

ouch

Well.... at least your ok! If your going to crash, do it in style, ON VIDEO. Then send it to the "you gotta see this" tv show.

01 RSV, Micron TI w/TI chip
    06 Triumph Sprint ST
    01 YZ 250

apriliaforum expert
    hope you are ok and the bike can be repaired.
    that's how my lowside was on sportecs, bang zoom gone.

apriliaforum expert
    Here is the video. (Not dial up friendly)

http://home.comcast.net/~liv2dayor/jj008turn9.wmv

You can see on the back strectch where I kept pulling out in the wrong gear.

Enjoy.

apriliaforum prov-nov kneedownaprilia's Avatar
    Originally posted by JJ_008
    Here is the video. (Not dial up friendly)

http://home.comcast.net/~liv2dayor/jj008turn9.wmv

You can see on the back strectch where I kept pulling out in the wrong gear.

Enjoy.
    Ouch...slid all the way across the beginning of the straight with bike smacking the far wall! I guess if you're going to crash, do it big! Glad you are OK, good luck with the bike repair...

JJ_008,

Sorry to hear about you crash. I have a question for you. I noticed in your vid that a guy was just pulling into the pit lane right before you entered the turn that you low sided in. Was he dropping oil or water out of his bike. Thought maybe you picked up some fluids on your tires.

apriliaforum Junkie theImmoralist's Avatar
    It sounds like you are OK, which is the most important thing. But watching the video it's hard to figure out why you crashed. Your tires should have been warm after what was captured on the video. Did you feel the tires starting to go off at the end of the day? Your line looked a little squirrely right before you went down. Did you hit a bump in the track, or see something there?

Anyway, I hope the repairs aren't too bad.
    "...and so, even among all my treasures, I cherish a sense of the precarious, by which I provoke or at least arouse my life."

Andre Gide, The Immoralist

Man, that sucks. Been there, done that. Was that an instructor or professional camera guy ahead of you with the camera or something? Because he looked faster than shit. You were passing more than a couple of guys and he was pulling you without even trying. Hope you get it back together soon.

Video is VERY cool I really liked it. Not to critisize because I can't even do what you did, but it seemed like mid-turn you had a small wobble like you adjusted your line and the rear tire lost it. Before that you were looking very good.

At least your ok.

My Website for Aprilia Motorcycle Docs/Videos/Games

SOLD 8/2006

2003 Aprilia Mille RSV-R (Black) * Aprilia EVO Ti Shotgun Exhaust * EVO/FP Chip * '99-'01 Rubber Airbox Inlet * OEM 16T Front Sprocket * Stealth Hybrid 44T Sprocket * Evoluzione Air Box/Filter * R&G Front and Rear Sliders * Motovation Swingarm Sliders * Millepede Fork Sliders * Custom Painted Black Windscreen * Decals by CKruzel * LP Short Stalk V Carbon Blinkers * Evoluzione License Relocator Bracket * Gold Windscreen Bolts * Gold Vave Stem Caps * Aprilia Racing GP Shift

apriliaforum expert Smoke Eater's Avatar
    That's a shame. What tires were you running? Diablos or diablo corsas? I've heard that the regular diablos are good but not great. I've been running the corsas all summer with no problems.
    "The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese"

2002 Mille Silver
    2002 Scary 150
    1992 Ducati 900ss
    1972 TR3 350 (nearly restored)
    1966 BMW R50/2 with side hack

The racetrack requires Race Tires!

Glad you're OK, sorry to hear about your mishap. Thanks for sharing the video, it does look like the rear just let go under power without much warning at all.

I've never believed in non-race rubber for track days. I don't think they give you enough margin of safety when on-track, especially when the "red mist" fogs your judgement and you start to chase the camera bike!

Even if you're not going fast enough to "need" race compound rubber, it gives you that extra amount of grip for those all-to-common "indiscretions" with throttle, brake, steering, etc.

I hope your repairs aren't too bad. You can always say to your insurance agent "it fell off the trailer when I was towing it"...

apriliaforum expert Bill in OKC's Avatar
    The difference between crashing and EXTREME crashing is if it is caught on tape or not. I wish I could replay some of my more spectacular wrecks.

apriliaforum expert
    I was running just the diablos. I am actually little faster then the guy (RC-51) that was filming me, but I missed a shift in that back straight the first time and that is why he pulled so far ahead of me. He also did something really stupid earlier that almost took us both out, so I was a little cautious and didn't want to get to close. But I have to give the guy credit, he could really pull out of the little left to right before that back straight really fast. But I could catch him everywhere on the track. That is why I was able to catch up to him.

That little unsettling I had before I fell was from me re-adjusting my foot on the pegs. The Rene high mounts were causing me problems all day. I was going to sell them.
    Last edited by JJ_008; 08-29-2003 at 12:19 AM.

Yeah, you guys did get really close for no apparent reason just before you went under the bridge. I can see why you'd give him room. That's so cool that technology has advanced to the point where you can have buddies put cameras on their bikes to film you. At my last AFM race in '83 the best I could do was to have a buddy in the stands with a videocam. His camera work sucked. He had somebody spotting for him and he usually just caught me as I was past him, exiting the turn. He missed most of the crash that closed my season (career), just the bike sliding into the hay bales. Your film is very cool.

Yeah, that filming was very cool. What kind of recording device did you use?

I have the helmet camera but haven't had a chance to use it cause my camcorder doesnt work with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast