Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Derbi Mulhacen

apriliaforum newb
    Hi folks
    Just bought a Derbi Mulhacen 659 cafe. Problem I've got is the bottom end running is awful Jerky, revs up and down at tickover and backfires a great deal when on overrun. I've fit a GPR exhaust which is about 50lbs lighter.I've also removed the air re-circulating pipe and blanket it off
    Fit a power booster but dosen't seem to have made any difference.Would like to fit a Power Commander but Richard at Dynajet dosn't have a kit for it. If it was the same ECU as the Pegaso or MT03 no problem but no one seems to know anything about them. So the big question is DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THEM??? or know anybody who might know about the ECU set up

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Power Commanders are pretty generic really, you can make one work though re-pinning a connector or two might be required along with some basic laptop resetting of how the PCV sees the input for throttle position sensor input, easy to do and part of the install process if done correctly for most PCV installations. I would avoid using a PCIIIusb of most any variety as they have a failure rate far exceeding the newer generation of PCV by a decent margin.

To put it as simply as possible the way a PCV works is by placing itself between the input to injectors signal of a stock ECU while letting the stock ecu think that each injection firing instruction has been completed as the stock ECU expects. Once the firing signal for an injection event has been intercepted the PCV either adds a little injector-open-time/duration (enriching mixture) to the tail end of the injection event or subtracting a little injector-open-time from said injection event (leaning out mixture), typically only referenced against the 0-5V throttle position sensor value to determine engine load at a given rpm. By virtue of this simplicity swapping PCV from one bike to another is usually close to plu-and-play but may require swapping the pins in the PCV harness to9 get electrical polarity correct for the PCV to operate correctly. The PCV gets its 12V + power from the injector wiring harness as injectors get constant 12 VDC power with the stock ecu only opening/breaking ground connection to the injector to cause a "field collapse" or injection event to occur, the PCV gets its - 12 VDC from a separate ground going directly into the PCV and the TPS input therefore only requires tapping into whichever of the 3 wires on the TPS gives a risinf voltage 0-5 VDC signal return to ECU.

Hope this helps...I may have over-complicated the explanation but, it is really pretty easy for anyone familiar with PCV installation and tuning to do. I have a Power Commander on my Vespa modified from some generic 4 cylinder bike Power Commander, I only needed one injector circuit so I used cylinder 1 from the inline 4 system which was the one that powered the power commander on that 4 cylinder bike....and reversed polarity as needed to make it right for the Vespa wiring harness.

Those bikes never made it over to the USA so I have no real additional information on the Derbi.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Neat looking bike...

Name:  956_0.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  21.3 KB
    JD

'01 Futura

apriliaforum newb
    Just wondered if the ECU would be specifically programed for the Mulhacen or, would it be the same as the pegaso?
    The reason I say this is because many of the parts on the bike are from the Aprilia. Would the factory in Barcelona
    be bothered to develop a specific ECU or think (as it's part of the Aprilia group)we'll fit the standard Ecu from the Pegaso

Any Thoughts?

apriliaforum expert go_modem_go's Avatar
    The Mulhacen 659 has a different airbox and a slightly altered ignition curve mapping compared to the Yamaha XT 660 R, Aprilia Pegaso Factory and Yamaha MT-03 Versions of this Minarelli 660 4-valve EFI engine.

So yes, it was specifically tuned for the Derbi - but I very highly doubt that it has a different ECU than the Pegaso Factory version of 2006. It has a Denso 12D-8591A-00 unit. Just a slightly altered mapping.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	derbi-mulhacen-659-ec1luz1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	330664

Otherwise, it's pretty much identical.

The 2006 model had a non-regulated Euro 2 catalyser, EDIT: The later models went to Euro3 lambda sond regulated ECU 3-way catalysers by 2008.

My local Piaggio dealer has sold a few of them, they are out and about in my area in Germany. The Derbi dealers here can and do tune them (almost no one keeps the OEM exhaust, with GPR being a favourite!)

Go find any Piaggio brand dealer (Piaggio, Vespa, Gilera, Aprilia, Moto-Guzzi, Scarabeo, preferably of course one that used to carry Derbi) - they have the online documentation system.

Over here, the optional Mulhacén 659 GPRacer version was shipped with a G.P.R. exhaust from the factory, and that's the mapping you want to get, if it has a different one at all!

I almost bought one when there was a firesale on them, they went for next to nothing back in 2010 (like €3700 for pre-registered showroom models when Derbi gave up large capacity Mulhacen "fashion" bike with its non-Piaggio Minarelli engine. They firmly went back to scooters and 50cc Senda dual-sports Gilera-clones only. Sadly, the Derbi factory in Martorell closed down in 2013...

Good luck with it - it's a pretty good bike, assembly is really top notch for such a small production volume.

But don't mess with it too much - you already have several variables messing up and disturbing the original fuel calibration!

Start analysing engine behaviour by going back to Stage 0 (fully OEM, big exhaust catalyser included, all pipes connected just like it shipped when new), and go from there: If it still doesn't run properly, definitely check valve clearance, spark plug, fuel pump.

u r alive!

I'm just poppin' in to the forum, and who do I see?
    gmg!!

sweet!

Glad to see you are still alive and kickin',
    btw, I'm now, back, in GA..

Jimbob
    Jimbob
    Formerly Teachin DevilDogs to ride bikes
    01 RSVR, 10 HD XR1200 (for sale!) 11 BMW 1200RT, 04 1150 RT gone, 97 Honda VFREVER, KLX250S
    00 RSV-gone, 04 Futura-gone - 04 Futura-gone..

apriliaforum expert go_modem_go's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbobvfr View Post
    u r alive!

I'm just poppin' in to the forum, and who do I see?
    gmg!!

sweet!

Glad to see you are still alive and kickin',
    btw, I'm now, back, in GA..

Jimbob
    Hey jimbob,

Good to hear from you!

Btw, I believe we saw this Derbi Mulhacen 659 whilst flying out to Milan on RyanAir for the day, for EICMA...

All around the world and back home in GA - not bad.

Still got the Aprilia?

I am heading out for another Balkans donkey path ride for 4 weeks after Easter. Car & Trailer with 2 bikes across the Alps to Bosnia, Croatia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Albania, Macedonia, Greece, and all the way back home to Heidelberg via Bulgaria and Serbia. Should be fun!

apriliaforum newb
    Just another point about my Mulhacen,What do you think about changing the ECU for a Pegaso Factory one
    I would have thought all the censors ect are the same on the engine as the Pegaso Factory.
    Would the plug in connection be different? If that was possible there would be a Power Commander V available with maps.
    Or is that wishful thinking
    I've fit a GPR end can on mine.

apriliaforum expert cristianstrt's Avatar
    I sold my Aprilia Shiver,it was too much for me...
    I bought a 2006 Mulhacen with only 12.887 km.I simply love it!

Name:	IMG-20170812-WA0004.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	503.0 KB 
ID:	340159
    Last edited by cristianstrt; 08-19-2017 at 06:12 AM.
    Actual family motorcycles:
    2006 DERBI MULHACEN 659 (mine)
    2002 BETA EURO 350 (wife's)
    2002 SUZUKI DR 125 SE (wife's)
    2000 SUZUKI DR 200 SE DJEBEL (mine)
    1989 YAMAHA TOWNMATE T80 (mine)

A NONCONFORMIST BASIC UNDERACHIEVER LOST...

I ordered this GPR can,hope will fit perfectly.

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/SILENCIEUX-GP...YAAOSwHQ9WZYai

@dbd32,is what you have too?Can you attach some pics,please?
    Thnx.

This is mine:

Name:	IMG-20170902-WA0012.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	511.8 KB 
ID:	341391

Name:	IMG-20170902-WA0010.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	519.1 KB 
ID:	341392

What a trick little rig the Mulhacen 659 is. I chanced upon one parked on a Paris street in 2013, and it was love at first sight. If ever a chance to own one Stateside came up...yeah, dream on.

Tell me about it!
    It was love at first sight for me too...
    I love it more than my ex-Shiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo J View Post
    What a trick little rig the Mulhacen 659 is. I chanced upon one parked on a Paris street in 2013, and it was love at first sight. If ever a chance to own one Stateside came up...yeah, dream on.
    If your dream is true,he will became reality,believe me!

Some today pics:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  41.0 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  20.9 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  42.1 KB

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast