Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low RPM Hesitation, Surging

apriliaforum Junkie

Low RPM Hesitation, Surging

My '04 Tuono is bone stock, and am annoyed with the occassional "pause" or hesitation when at light throttle from 3400 - 3800 rpm. It is like the engine drops a cylinder for half a second. There is also surging at low rpm and light throttle openings. Popping and spitting on deceleration is noticeable, but I also noticed some exhaust gas stains between the collector and midpipe.

I presume a new EPROM would help driveability, but do not need the Factory Pro or anything else as advanced. Is there some other EPROM that will just help it run more smoothly, without surging and hesitation? Or is something like the FP chip my best bet? Not sure it makes any difference, but this a California bike and I probably will add a slip-on to the bike at a later date.

- Phil

There are a couple of things you need to do to remedy that.

Yes the stock Eprom is lean in that area right around and up to 4250rpm's. That's because that is where the drive by testing is done for the EPA stuff. Yes, you need a different chip or something like a PCIII to richen it up in that range. Also the stock can is mega restrictive.

You can get a Arrow chip for 40 bucks from AF1 that will help nicely, then you need to re-sync the TB's

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...idproduct=1506

Understand you don't want to fork over the coin for the FP chip, but it is sweet, no hesitation and runs great.

Get a slip on and a Arrow chip at a minimum and you should be a happy camper.
    2014 BMW F800GSA
    06 Husky SM610 Hooligan Jr.
    07 KTM 525 EXC
    13 Husaberg TE 300
    11 Beta 300 Race Rep 2T Trials
    75 Suzuki RL250--OldSchool Trials & 1971 BSA 250 Trials

Now there are 2 "Cylinders" on my ride, parallel BABY!!

:( no go on Arrow chip

Dont do the arrow chip, if you cant do the fp chip now then keep your eye on the for sale section and e-bay. You wont wait too long till a decent chip (aprilia chips, or similar) comes up. Trust me I've tried it, it does not feel any better than stock, it is a waste of 40 bucks. Aprilie Ti chip seemed to be the best for under 100 bucks. I had one in till I bought the FP. Not much diff between the two just by seat of the pants, they both rip. very crisp, motor revs nice and pulls like a freight train.

Good luck,
    Spence
    2007 SXV550

there is a chance, but dont quote me on it, that the evap system may be part of the problem. being in cali, not sure if you can yank the whole thing and the miles of plumbing, but perhaps stealthily disconnect and see how things go.

but a new chip would def. be an improvement in getting more fuel. if you get close to the $200 range, then get an FP chip...if you feel like spening more, then PCIII and custom map, but if you change anything, setup wise, you will need to get another custom map to better the whole thing.

repoe3

Is this hesitation a new thing or has it always done that?
    Those who dance are considered insane by those who canít hear the music.

apriliaforum Junkie
    The hesitation and surging seem at bit worse, compared to when new. But, if so, it is minor, and may be my imagination. This bike, at 795 miles, suddenly started smoking on cold starts, but not all the time. That is the only thing out of the ordinary it has done. - Phil

apriliaforum newb

hesitation

I had the same prob before I hit 1000mi. The dealer adjusted the mapping to the second setting and that smoothed it out. I also recommend losing the boat anchor stock cans. I haven't done the chip yet.

apriliaforum Junkie
    "2nd setting"? I did not know there was any second setting. My bike is a 2004, and am not sure there is any additional settings for the stokc chip. - Phil

There isn't a second map on the stock chip of the US models since 02 supposedly. If there were, you would get to it by snipping wire #16 on the smaller of the 2 ECU plugs. That wire is the way you go between the 2 maps on the FP chip (or any chip with 2 maps for that matter).

I have a Tigcraft chip I'll sell you for 25 bucks. Definitely better than stock. repoe is running it in his 04 now and he is getting good results. I am using a FP. If you want to Tigcraft let me know. But I go out of town tomorrow so it will be a week before I can mail it.
    Last edited by Firebolter; 04-22-2006 at 05:41 PM.
    2014 BMW F800GSA
    07 KTM 525 EXC
    13 Husaberg TE 300

Quote Originally Posted by emonk
    Is this hesitation a new thing or has it always done that?
    My '04 bought new in Oct '05 has 1500 miles, and does the same thing. I've mentioned it several times. It's a slight annoyance to me, but not a "problem". I do want to tune it out soon.
    '06 FLHR | '04 FXDL | '04 Aprilia Tuono

Timmy,

You still running the stock chip? Wanna Tig chip? Works pretty good. I have 2 of them here with......I am leaving tomorrow morning (Sunday) for Tokyo for a week. I can mail you one next saturday. If you want it, PM me a address and I'll mail it to you. I am only home from Tokyo for Sat/Sun next weekend then off to LA for the week, else I ride up and bring it to ya....
    2014 BMW F800GSA
    07 KTM 525 EXC
    13 Husaberg TE 300

Quote Originally Posted by TimS
    My '04 bought new in Oct '05 has 1500 miles, and does the same thing. I've mentioned it several times. It's a slight annoyance to me, but not a "problem". I do want to tune it out soon.

did you drop in the arrow chip yet? i gues i missed your posts about those stumbles and surging...we def. need to plan a meet with our three tuonos and compare notes, i never felt anything even when bone stock and def. not now once modified. did you yank the evap stuff?

repoe3

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil3
    My '04 Tuono is bone stock, and am annoyed with the occassional "pause" or hesitation when at light throttle from 3400 - 3800 rpm. It is like the engine drops a cylinder for half a second. There is also surging at low rpm and light throttle openings. Popping and spitting on deceleration is noticeable, but I also noticed some exhaust gas stains between the collector and midpipe.

I presume a new EPROM would help driveability, but do not need the Factory Pro or anything else as advanced. Is there some other EPROM that will just help it run more smoothly, without surging and hesitation? Or is something like the FP chip my best bet? Not sure it makes any difference, but this a California bike and I probably will add a slip-on to the bike at a later date.

- Phil
    Is this behavior related to the excessive smoking oil problem that you were having on cold starts? What ever happened with the dealer on that score? I seem to recall that you took it in.

K^2
    Kevin
    '13 BMW HP4
    '10 BMW S1000RR (track only)
    '07 BMW R1200S
    '05 Tuono 1000 R

Quote Originally Posted by repoe3
    did you drop in the arrow chip yet? i gues i missed your posts about those stumbles and surging...we def. need to plan a meet with our three tuonos and compare notes, i never felt anything even when bone stock and def. not now once modified. did you yank the evap stuff?

repoe3
    Bill, Robert,

I took the evap emissions stuff off a few months ago. No, haven't put the Arrow chip in yet. I need to do that before I do anything else. Problem is, 1) I don't get things done as fast as youz, and 2) I can't ride my bike (legally) for a few more months!
    '06 FLHR | '04 FXDL | '04 Aprilia Tuono

I have an '04, also stock. I found at maybe 1500 miles that said bike would gag now and then between 3500 and 4500 RPM. I did two things: I trickle charged the battery overnite and I dropped in half a bottle of STP fuel stuff at the next fillup (maybe it was Gumout, don't remember). I've also used 93 octane since then instead of 89. One of those fixed it. Next time I'll do my fixes one at a time.

Incidentally,the battery & STP approach frequently works on Honda Accords and dirt bikes too....

Also, what evap stuff? Got a link?

e.
    Those who dance are considered insane by those who canít hear the music.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast