Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Checking The Oil Level

I am with KZ on this, engine must be properly HOT, i.e. done 10 miles or so, and idling, or immediately after switch off.

I tried the "run it on the paddock stand, until the fans come on" method, and the oil level still showed way to low; another 10 mins on the road warming it up properly, and it came up to OK level.

Even 30 seconds after shut off the level can change quickly (depending on where the pump ends up in its cycle , I assume).

I ride a Tuono, so I just lean over and have a squizz at the oil sight tube at the last traffic lights (with the engine idling) before home, if there is oil showing in the tube, it is a good thing!!
    Like Timebandit, I don't get too fixated on where it is in the tube, as the oil pump does not care if the oil tank is full or half full.
    Last edited by tipper63; 06-09-2016 at 09:09 PM.
    2003 Tuono Racing, Tigcraft Ti can, collector modifed, Gabro F255 chip, 16/43
    2016 Tuono Factory, only mod is a Radar detector!!

apriliaforum expert
    Yeah I know the drill with checking the oil level. I just noticed the oil level was substantially higher after the fans came in one during slow driving in heavy traffic compared to riding where the engine gets up to normal operating temp, but with fans not even coming close to getting on (so substanially lower engine temp).

Quote Originally Posted by kzmille View Post
    ... The oil level will bump up just slightly after stopping. Can you figure out why?

A guess....

Pressure in the lines causes the oil to continue flowing for a brief moment.

The volume coming into to the oil tank is momentarily higher than the amount that is beginning to drain out to the system's lowest point.

The oil actually enters the tank above the oil level surface. For those who have never looked into the tank an internal tube runs from the hose connection at the bottom front of the tank up to the top above the oil surface. So while the engine is running there is a stream of oil from the discharge point down to the surface. This volume of oil suspended in air is where the bump in level comes from on shutdown.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

I would guess it comes from the scavenge pump having greater performance then the pressure pump.
    At shutdown the pressure pump stops supplying oil before the scavenge pump.
    At least my theory.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

apriliaforum Member Voicu Liviu's Avatar
    Guys, how often do I must change the oil?
    Thank you
    My Tuono suits me to a "T".
    Thunder!
    Fuck it, I am an Aprilian!
    (2005 Aprilia RP/ B / Tuono RSV1000)

The owners manual says every 7500km but I change it more often. Usually every 4000-4800km with filter.

apriliaforum Member Voicu Liviu's Avatar
    I just found the manual my self, indeed 7500.
    So, doing this around 5000 will maintain/take care of the engine much better?
    My Tuono suits me to a "T".
    Thunder!
    Fuck it, I am an Aprilian!
    (2005 Aprilia RP/ B / Tuono RSV1000)

I guess it would depend on what oil you used. 30+ years ago here in the U.S. it was just always a standard to change oil every 3000 miles. Hard to break old habits.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567