Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Husqvarna SM610

I've had my SM610 (06 model) for 3 trouble free years. All I have done is oil changes and 1 set of tires. It is without a doubt a well made and reliable ride. I usually keep bikes 2 years and then get bored and move on, not here, this bike will be with me for a couple more years at least. My valves have stayed in spec with almost 10K mile on it. Can't complain one bit. Love the brakes..........really love the motor.
    2014 BMW F800GSA & 2015 Kawi Z1000
    06 Husky SM610 Hooligan Jr.
    07 KTM 525 EXC
    13 Husaberg TE 300
    11 Beta 300 Race Rep 2T Trials
    1971 BSA 250 Trials

Now there are 2 "Cylinders" on my ride, parallel BABY!!

I've been wanting a 610 for a long time now, but came across my Shiver and couldn't pass it up. My girl wants to learn how to ride and I've been thinking the 610 might make for a good first bike. Reliable, relatively light, doesn't damage easily, low insurance, not to mention, I'll be riding it most of the time! ..... muah hahaha! She's pretty tall, at 5'8", so she'll be able to touch the ground. Of course I'm having her take the MSF course to begin with and I'll gage from there whether it's a good idea. I know it's pretty quick, but maybe there's a way to rig a throttle stop so she can wind, say, only 50% throttle?
    2000 DRZ400S (SOLD!)
    2001 Mille R (SOLD)
    2001 Futura (SOLD)
    2002 Suzuki SV650 (SOLD)
    2008 Shiver (SOLD)
    2008 DRZ400SM (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by TIFOSO View Post
    My girl wants to learn how to ride and I've been thinking the 610 might make for a good first bike.
    An SM610 is still pretty stout...

If she's starting from scratch, you might want to consider a TE 250 or TE 310. Either one of those will be a lot more forgiving...
    The United States Veterans Administration:

Neglecting America's service veterans since 1930!!!!

She will hate the seat, plan on getting it done.
    2014 BMW F800GSA & 2015 Kawi Z1000
    06 Husky SM610 Hooligan Jr.
    07 KTM 525 EXC
    13 Husaberg TE 300
    11 Beta 300 Race Rep 2T Trials
    1971 BSA 250 Trials

Now there are 2 "Cylinders" on my ride, parallel BABY!!

apriliaforum expert ffkevinking's Avatar

Height

How tall is your girl? My buddy who's 5ft7 has a tough time getting on mine.

KeV

apriliaforum newb
    I just found a zero mile 08' SM 610 on Craig's List for $6,299 from a dealer and couldn't pass it up. It's got a lot of low end grunt and that is what I like on the mountain I ride. And the red, black and white looks a whole lot better than the blue and yellow.

apriliaforum Member
    i love my 610, but its for sale as i need another track bike

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TIFOSO View Post
    I've been wanting a 610 for a long time now, but came across my Shiver and couldn't pass it up. My girl wants to learn how to ride and I've been thinking the 610 might make for a good first bike. Reliable, relatively light, doesn't damage easily, low insurance, not to mention, I'll be riding it most of the time! ..... muah hahaha! She's pretty tall, at 5'8", so she'll be able to touch the ground. Of course I'm having her take the MSF course to begin with and I'll gage from there whether it's a good idea. I know it's pretty quick, but maybe there's a way to rig a throttle stop so she can wind, say, only 50% throttle?
    get your girl a 250, this bike is WAY too much for a beginner and VERY unforgiving

apriliaforum Junkie vp rsvmille's Avatar
    Our Aus spec 610s come out with throttle stops and are sold as learner legal bikes.
    In saying that though, it's a big tall bike and could be a bit overwhelming for a beginner.
    Have you thought about the Yamaha WR250X? I was looking at one of those for my missus and was going to put the readily available lowering links on it.
    Have seen a few around locally and gotta say am quite impressed with how well they keep up with the bigger bikes - with the right rider of course.
    They have some crazy long service intervals as well.
    VP in the Land of Oz

There are only 10 types of people in this world that understand the binary language - those that do, and those that don't.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234