Thread: Aprilia S500 vs. Piaggio X9

apriliaforum newb

Aprilia S500 vs. Piaggio X9

Since I got my S500 last year, I have been wondering if I made a mistake by not checking out the X9 first. Especially with all of Aprilia's issues (parts & etc). Well, today I was able to see a brand new X9 at the dealership, and I was totally unimpressed. The styling of the X9 was almost totally non-existent when compared to the S500 or the A500. The fit and finish did not seem to be the same quality, and the storage was not even comparable. I just don't see this thing turning heads like the Aprilia's do. Maybe the X9 is a blast to ride, because I have no idea how the performance stacks up, but the Aprilia seems to be in a whole different class when comparing at the curb. I know that they are all under the same roof now, but was the X9 supposed to be the major competition for Aprilia when it comes to Italian scoots?

I feel the same about the X-9. I ride with a friend who has one and to be honest i really think it looks very plastic! I know that sounds weird but it does! The finish is horrible, it doesn't shout "look at me". The performance is pretty good according to my friend, he has more k on his than mine and he just bought it in the summer. However he has had a few small problems. One being a mirror coming loose and the other the left signal light not flashing in time. Other than that it seems to have performed pretty well.

Doesnt convince me to upgrade though, i would rather go for the AA500 or the new Sprint if it comes to Canada

Ricky

apriliaforum Member
    equally unimpressed with the X-9. I also don't see how performance could be much different from an AA500.

apriliaforum expert

I feel the same

The X9 is sort in between styles. What I mean to say is it isn't classical like the Scarabeo who even by opponents who ride Japanese scoots admit the lines are very attractive.

And X9 isn't modern or sport like say the Atlantic or the Burgman.

It's sort of in between and it doesn't work for me.

Aprilia has both bases covered with the Atlantic and Scarabeo. They just need to continue to invest in them and refine them with advancing engineering whether it be gadgets or displacement or transmissions.

peace,
    Riding a 2010 Mana GT

apriliaforum Member
    yes, I agree and I bet they saw too much redundancy with the aa500 and the x9. I believe the Scabs will be safe for some time in the lineup but that the x9 or its new variant will be come the only modern style touring machine offered here.