Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Disassembling Stock Connectors

You do have that correct for the most part. Several sources for an aftermarket rectifier including myself. Send me a PM for more info.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

Aftermarket Rectifier.

Thanks John, PM sent....

Griffer
    2004 Silver Futura, John B. Rectifier & crimps soldered, Power Commander and custom map, De-restricted airbox, Mille boot, K&N airfilter, R&G frame sliders, Taylormade exhaust and RSVR mirrors, Falco forks w/Ohlins internals, 320mm Mille brake rotors, Scott Oiler, ABM superbike kit.

Quote Originally Posted by paddyz1 View Post
    you could always buy one of these for the job

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...86&postcount=2
    Paddy's link worked o.k for me and led in turn to this UK company's web site - http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.e...e/homepage.php looks very useful - as was bikepainter's info. Cheers both .

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by bikpaintr View Post
    You do have that correct for the most part. Several sources for an aftermarket rectifier including myself. Send me a PM for more info.
    Hello Jonh B.

I've made the brown connectors mod last winter. I changed them for some aparently good conectors... but to my disapointment, they have melted down BIG TIME...including part of my electrical wirering next to those conectors.

So you say the reel problem is the regulator. Is the AF1 aftermarket regulator good or do you suggest an other one ?

Also can I solder the wirering togeter directly with an extra wire in order to be abble to manipulate them with more ease ? (Wire to wire)

Thank for your help.

Dan

ps: please excuse my gramar...

Quote Originally Posted by Vitez love capo View Post
    Hello Jonh B.

I've made the brown connectors mod last winter. I changed them for some aparently good conectors... but to my disapointment, they have melted down BIG TIME...including part of my electrical wirering next to those conectors.

So you say the reel problem is the regulator. Is the AF1 aftermarket regulator good or do you suggest an other one ?

Also can I solder the wirering togeter directly with an extra wire in order to be abble to manipulate them with more ease ? (Wire to wire)

The rectifier is at the heart of the charging issue but the connectors melt because of high resistance at the connection. Did you solder on new connectors or use a crimp on style? Soldering the wires together should cool the wires down if you do a good job. As to the other question I've sent you a PM.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

Hey Folks , I haven't posted in a while but have been lurking.
    My friend Mike just recently bought Futura and joined the Forum as Emdub.
    We did his brown connector crimp solder last week so hopefully he will avoid all the mess I had to deal with.
    As to my point. I had both the brown and white connectors melt down and replaced them with posilocks, which have worked well. But I'd like to install proper connectors for a more "elegant" solution. To that end I found this and would appreciate input from some of the better educated folks as to the suitability of this product. http://www.route66supply.com/store/product10.html
    I like the concept of using 2 part connectors like stock but what to avoid the drawbacks of the OEM units. Since I'm starting at ground 0 I have more options to look at.
    "Many people would rather die than think; in fact most do." -- Bertrand Russell

Those who dance are considered insane by those who
    cannot hear the music -- Favorite T-shirt

We do not see the world as IT is, we see it as WE are!

Quote Originally Posted by day004 View Post
    Hey Folks , I haven't posted in a while but have been lurking.
    My friend Mike just recently bought Futura and joined the Forum as Emdub.
    We did his brown connector crimp solder last week so hopefully he will avoid all the mess I had to deal with.
    As to my point. I had both the brown and white connectors melt down and replaced them with posilocks, which have worked well. But I'd like to install proper connectors for a more "elegant" solution. To that end I found this and would appreciate input from some of the better educated folks as to the suitability of this product. http://www.route66supply.com/store/product10.html
    I like the concept of using 2 part connectors like stock but what to avoid the drawbacks of the OEM units. Since I'm starting at ground 0 I have more options to look at.
    I like them but I am no expert. This is how I did it just because.... I did solder the connectors to the wires.

My concern would be the inability of the sealed connector to shed heat. The Futura's rectifier connectors live in a very hot environment anyways & the juice flowing through them just adds to the problem. Can you solder the wires to these connectors? Whatever you use I would consider soldering mandatory; no plain crimps.

As to your friend's bike I would also suggest soldering the crimps in the white connector especially if you've brought the charge rate up to an acceptable level.
    John B.

My head is spinning...

So, you do not actually disassemble/replace the spades? So how do you clean the terminal wires from outside the crimped part? Also, is nothing prone to getting fried when soldering, and needs to be earthed or heat-sinked?

What amazes me, is that all this electrickery is in an exposed location, just inside a fairing opening and totally vulnerable to the elements and cleaning. Would not examples such as Ride200mi's above need some sort of protection? Perhaps greasing? Or am I being truly naive?

Ta, J.

apriliaforum newb
    Try this link for assorted connectors

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...onnectors.html

apriliaforum newb

wiring mods

hi i have bought the rectifier from john and i have solderd the white connector wires from the main loom how do i get the spades out of the brown connector in the main loom???????????help!!!!!!

Pull that white locking plate out of the rear of the connector. Looking inside you will see plastic tangs hanging down. Bend each back out of the way while pulling the wire/terminal out.
    John B.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345