Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Warning to all metal-tank owners

That makes my worries go nowhere, so if they get clogged im basically getting liquid plummer thanks KZ, always helpful..

You saw this thread; I was going to suggest fishing a wire through it but he managed with a drill. I'm thinking he just twisted it by hand as you could get into a lot of trouble otherwise.

I've posted a follow-up thread here:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s....php?p=2024957
    Ride smarter, not harder!

Just adding some key words to make this thread easier for people to find with the search function.

Fuel leak leaking drain vent overflow over flow over-flow 2000 2000.5 1999 1998 crack cracked gas petrol cap hose line pipe tygon gates tank metal tank drip dripping gasoline 98 99 00 00.5
    Last edited by DanV990; 08-02-2011 at 02:42 AM.
    1985 Honda VF500F Interceptor Red
    1985 Honda VF500F Interceptor Blue
    1992 BMW K1100RS ABS
    1993 Honda CBR600 F2
    1995 Ducati 916 Monoposto
    1999 Aprilia RSV Mille

apriliaforum newb
    Howdy, all. Yes, I too have been stricken with this problem. MY2000 RSV Mille, with the steel tank. When filling up with gas, it would POUR gas from the overflow hoses until at least 50% or more of the gas was drained from the tank. Enough was left in the tank that the fuel light did not come on, and I was able to ride home (after waiting a suitable amount of time for all the spilled gas to evaporate so I didn't became a fireball).

After much searching and reading, I came across these threads here, and they've been hugely enlightening. Forgive me for the cross-posting, but since some of these threads are a few years old, I'm posting widely to try to get some feedback.

Also, forgive me for my limited mechanical skills, but here's my attempt to summarize the problem:

1. The vent hoses INSIDE the fuel tank break down (thanks to the ethanol in our gasoline), which cases them to crack.

2. When I fill the tank, the gas INSIDE the tank will leak THRU a crack in the vent hose(s), pouring through the crack and down into the vent hose(s), until the level of the gas in the tank is below the location of the crack on the INTERIOR vent hose(s) (as noted by tipping the bike sideways, which caused more gas to leak, and centering the bike caused the leak to stop -- after the initial spillage had occurred). For example, if the crack in the hose is at the half-way point along the length, then the gas will leak until half the tank is empty.

3. To remedy this problem I need to replace the vent hoses INSIDE the fuel tank (preferably with something that's rate SAE 30R10, though some have seen success and no issues with SAE 30R7 hoses).

4. In order to do that, I need to:

(a) Drain the tank. 1st QUESTION: per the workshop manual, I'm supposed to disconnect the fuel pipe at the quick-disconnect fitting, and then undo the hose clamp at the other end of the hose from the MALE part of the quick-disconnect, thereby freeing that length of hose from the bike entirely; by plugging the quick-disconnect back together, it opens the valve in the disconnect, which drains the tank; then reverse to reassemble, but the instructions say to buy a brand new clamp, since the old one will be unusable. Where can I get one? Aprilia part only, or can I use a new, generic one?

(b) Remove the gas tank. 2nd QUESTION: do I need to disconnect the "fuel delivery pipe" (which is pressurized in operation) from the fuel pump, which in turn is mounted to the bottom of the fuel tank? Or can I just unbolt the fuel pump from the (upside down) fuel tank? If I do disconnect that pipe, the manual says to use two new gaskets. Are these standard gaskets, or do I have to order them from an Aprilia dealer?

(c) Remove the fuel pump assembly from the bottom of the fuel tank. Use Loctite 518 on the o-ring gasket when reinstalling.

(d) Remove the gas cap assembly from the top of the tank.

(e) replace the interior hoses. The hoses are just friction fit to the gas cap assembly, but clamped to base plate of the fuel pump assembly base plate/flange? Or are they friction fit too? If there are clamps, does anyone have recommendations as to the type or size of clamp to use? Just match it to the new, replacement hose?

(f) 3rd QUESTION: for reassembly, does one first attach the new hoses to the gas cap assembly, then reattach the gas cap assembly to the tank, and THEN attach the hoses to the fuel pump assembly base plate/flange? Or vice versa -- attach the hoses to the fuel pump assembly base plate/flange, reinstall the fuel pump assembly base plate/flange, and then attach the hoses to the gas cap assembly right before installing the gas cap assembly? This latter method assumes I can reach into the tank to pull the hoses out enough to slide the ends onto the gas cap assembly. But which way is easier/better/correct?

I think that's it for my questions. Any and all feedback greatly appreciated - thanks!

Vty,

--Dennis
    Boston, MA

The original hoses were failing before 10% ethanol fuel was in wide use. It is far better to remove the tank completely. The crush washers used on the HP fuel line are aluminum and can be reused if they are in good shape. If not they can be sourced from aprilia parts or many local automotive parts houses. Don't use copper. I find it easier to siphon the gas from the tank before doing anything else. You definitely want clamps on both ends of the vent hoses. Most of your questions, if not answered in the many threads on the subject will be obvious once you tear into it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123