Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warning to all metal-tank owners

Exclamation Warning to all metal-tank owners

Finally tracked down my gas spew problem (not so hard, just needed the time). I still don't quite understand the point of TWO tubes in the tank, but I digress . . .
    Having removed the fuel pump, I discovered that one of my drain tubes HAD come apart, (the end was still attached at the top of the tank), and the other was not far behind.
    Here's what I noticed: The inside of each line was cracked like crazy up at the top end, where they slip over the metal.
    So, here's what I think: maybe just from sitting in the sun during lunch stops or in a parking lot for the better part of a day at various cycle get-togethers or whatever, the top of the tank gets heated enough to cook those lines a little bit, and make them brittle. Even at a track day (some of us haven't sprung for those trendy little square tents yet) your bike is baking more than it is being air-cooled.

Anyway my advice is, as soon as you get an inkling to change your fuel filter, (or have it changed by your local trustworthy mech), check those lines, or better yet, just replace 'em. An extra few minutes and a couple of bucks is worth it, because I have a sneaky suspicion it isn't asking physics too much to get a steady drip to ignite and burn back into the tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Ride smarter, not harder!

Thanks for the info Aprilia13. I'll certainly bear it in mind when I start my winter strip down, as I have one of the classic's with a metal tank

Ally

99' RSV "The Bitch" #063

[B]Carbon fairing and tail! Blue printed Engine, 54mm tb's, twin Carbon Akrapovic race, Aprilia Akrapovic WSBK Chip, Gillies clip on's and rearsets,Ohlins (RT) front and (PRCLS46) rear suspension, Wave disks, Hel brake and clutch lines, Evo clutch cylinder, Barnett clutch, Evo plug leads with Denso Iridium plugs, 16/44 sprockets, EVO Billet velocity stacks, EVO Airbox, LED rear light and indicators,sticker by AF1

96 RS 125 Extrema Biaggi rep

Looks like dry rot brought on by "green" fuel. Out here in CA, the reformulated gasoline contained MTBE. It's supposed to make the fuel burn cleaner and produce less smog. It gets into the ground water for more serious and unwanted pollution than the smog it's supposed to stop and it rots out fuel lines in hurry. There have been a ton of car fires out here because of it. We're supposed to be MTBE free by 2006 but who knows what the CARB will come up with next and force down our throats with out proper testing and evaluation first. I don't know what could have caused that kind of dry rot on your tubing....you guys run a high alcohol content during certain times of year in Indiana?....sean

Guess what the secret ingredient in VP U4 is....MTBE. The same reason it is used in 'green' fuel is why it is used in race gas - it really boosts oxygen levels.
    "I feel strongly both ways."

'01 Mille Blue - Mods (a bunch but not enough)

Former rides:
    '92 VFR750F
    '89 NT650 Hawk GT
    '63 CB77 Super Hawk

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalRSVR
    I don't know what could have caused that kind of dry rot on your tubing....you guys run a high alcohol content during certain times of year in Indiana?
    Some stations here do sell fuels with 10% alcohol (if I remember correctly) and they're usually cheaper, but I don't buy that stuff, ever. But anyway, my lines were only cracked / broken where they attach at the top, at the filler cap, but the bottom halves (which are submersed most of the time) are still soft. So I'm having a hard time thinking my fuel has much to do with it.
    ??

Looks like the latex tubing that they use with sling shots..I also used to use alot of it when I was into SCUBA diving. That stuff rots bad just sitting in normal air without any contamination.

Looks to me like pvc tubing, which isn't suitable material for fuel lines. It hardens with age and oxidation. All old British bikes came with that stuff, and it always turned into iron just before it cracked.
    A finish is a win! Moderation is the key! More wine!
    And never lend a faggot your hat

Proud Member of Team Punisher and The Texas Mile 200 MPH club
    Motorcycles are not just fun toys. They are a catalyst for the enjoyment of life. - NaimChase
    When you ride a bike that tries to crawl out from underneath you at 150MPH with a slight twist you know you're on the right path. - TRexRacing

Are people just replacing it with regular old rubber fuel line? looks like 1/4"?
    Rich in PA-
    '04 Tuono Coaching / Street - Traxxion Dynamics, Gabro chipped, Arrow 2-2, 30k+ miles
    R6 Race - The usual stuff and some not-so-usual stuff. CCS #128 Expert
    www.KeystoneRiders.com - Central/NE PA message forum for street/track riders
    EvolveGT coach

Thanks to my sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE | PARTS CLUB | HAZARDOUS RACING
    GET IT!!! http://www.richquinlan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo
    Are people just replacing it with regular old rubber fuel line? looks like 1/4"?
    Instead of replacing the tubes with the Aprilia part that is simply the same material, a good alternative source is needed.... we need the guru's to find a source and perhaps a bulk/group buy is in order...

apriliaforum Member
    I use the blue poly fuel line from parts unlimited on all my off road stuff, wonder if this would be a good replacement??
    If a little is good..... A LOT MUST BE BETTER!!

RSV MILLIE
    CR250
    KX450F
    RAPTOR 700
    MXZ800

apriliaforum newb

thanks

thanks for the suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by GEARHEAD9969
    I use the blue poly fuel line from parts unlimited on all my off road stuff, wonder if this would be a good replacement??
    Anybody know the inside diameter of these hoses?

It's 8.0mm, or 5/16 inch. (that's i.d.)
    My hose (insert juvenile joke here) is from NAPA, and reads: "FUEL LINE 5/16 INCH (8.0mm) SAE 30R7 NOT FOR FUEL INJECTION SYSTEMS MADE IN U.S.A BY GATES" I bought 6 or 8 feet for a buck or two. Anyone replacing these should just make sure the exterior of the line is also suitable for immersion in fuel. I would think the blue line you speak of would qualify.
    Getting close to two years now with no problems since I put these in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	516fuel.jpg 
Views:	1433 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	66885  

Last edited by Aprilia13; 07-19-2007 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilia13
    It's 8.0mm, or 5/16 inch. (that's i.d.)
    My hose (insert juvenile joke here) is from NAPA, and reads: "FUEL LINE 5/16 INCH (8.0mm) SAE 30R7 NOT FOR FUEL INJECTION SYSTEMS MADE IN U.S.A BY GATES" I bought 6 or 8 feet for a buck or two. Anyone replacing these should just make sure the exterior of the line is also suitable for immersion in fuel. I would think the blue line you speak of would qualify.
    Getting close to two years now with no problems since I put these in.
    Thanks - I wonder if the change from stock would effect the level of pressure from the fuel pump... Probably not at all or not enough to reauire adjustment of the fuel pressure regulator.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by hank
    Thanks - I wonder if the change from stock would effect the level of pressure from the fuel pump... Probably not at all or not enough to reauire adjustment of the fuel pressure regulator.
    Hank:
    These are tank cap overflow lines designed to drain water and gas that gets into the cap recess. They don't connect to the fuel system - just drain pipes that run through the tank. No way they can affect fuel pressure - unless they take a crap and drain all the gas on the ground.
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2000.5 Mille R - Ti Shotguns & lots of Evo shtuff
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast