Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil In Air Box

apriliaforum expert Jet City Racer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    Yup - check that oil level.
    and I thought you were gonna tell him to use the search function.
    "Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

JET CITY RACING
    Faster than the speed of darkness!

www.facebook.com/jetcityracer

AFRP #1

Thanks to all my 2012 Sponsors for keeping the dream alive!

www.maximausa.com
    www.scorpionusa.com
    www.drippinwet.com
    www.rhinomoto.com
    www.spidergrips.com
    www.calcoastmotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jet City Racer View Post
    and I thought you were gonna tell him to use the search function.
    I must be getting mellow in my advanced age...

'Tis the season of goodwill afterall!!
    " A wiseman speaks if he has something to say...a fool will speak because he wants to say something "

Quote Originally Posted by kzmille View Post
    It is just the standard breather fitting on the left side of the rear head. No modifications there.
    Thanks! That will be all the documentation needed to remember this until spring!

This morning, it's time to fire up the 13HP 36" Ariens & clear the snow from the driveway, especially concentrating on a motorcycle wide path so when it warms up that will be melted & clear first.

In the mean time, its off to the beautiful snowy Rky Mtns for a little tele skiing.

Happy Holidays!

Mike
    Gabro's V6 Chip
    EVO air kit w/ early mille intake
    EVO slave w/ MC bleeder
    KZmille rear brake bleed; http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...89#post1455889
    R&G frame sliders/RhinoMoto axle sliders
    Alum Anodized Hexagon Grill XXL Rad Screen http://www.customcargrills.com/products.asp?id=27
    Canisterectmy
    Fuel tank opening mod
    Leo Alluminio
    Reg/rect 3 wire mod = 14.4-5V @ idle--http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=105574
    Aprilia 2Gen Tank Bag/Coverhttp://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ght=tank+cover
    Low Beam Headlight switchhttp://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...adlight+switch
    Shinko U-Softs/Drag Radial
    Bronze OZ wheels (#198 of 200)

Here is a pic of my breather. Quite simple really. All I did was cover the sump area with a .090" 6061 aluminum plate with a 5/8ths inch hole. The three bolts have nylock nuts on the outside. The entire space under the plate is filled with polyester filtering material from the auto parts store. I bought the largest breather filter I could find and layered several pieces in the space to fill it. At the front bottom of the sump there is a blocked fitting for California models which I opened up and connected a length of vinyl tubing from there to the fitting on the rear head. The fitting extends up from the bottom (on the inside) which I trimmed completely flush with the bottom inside of the box so any oil could drain back to the engine. Plugged the original breather fitting on the left side of the air box and buttoned it up. As I said, I run my oil level quite high. I top it off so the level is at the Max mark at idle fully warmed up. There is never any oil in the air box. It always looks like the picture.
    Hi kzmille, curious whether you ever wound up modding this breather design or if you're still running it without issues? I know this is quite the thread bump but I figured I'd ask before I make my own version of this mod. I am thinking of bonding a plastic sheet to the airbox rather than a sheet of metal just because I don't have a shop, but otherwise copying your design.

It's still the same. Would have done something with it but life has a way of interfering with the things we want to do.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

It's still the same. Would have done something with it but life has a way of interfering with the things we want to do.
    Glad to hear it’s still working well, I’ll use this design for inspiration. Isn’t that the truth! At my current rate this mod will happen in 6–12 months.

apriliaforum expert
    Check the RSVR airboxes for inspiration. They have a compartment inside for catching oil.

this airbox looks very neat :-)
    Dionysis

79 CX500C
    07 RSV1000R
    08 WR250R

IBA#58777

apriliaforum Member
    I replaced the breather pipe with a longer one and routed it into the belly pan to a catch bottle.
    Since I did this a year ago, it's had a few mm of oil in it. It doesn't have to go into the air box.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12