Thread: Aprilia, Rotax and V990

Aprilia, Rotax and V990

Guys (and gals),

After reading the Rotax website, I got confused about the real "ownership" of the Aprilia V990 engine. Yes, I know that Rotax builts these engines, but I was under the impression that they were designed by Aprilia or Aprilia/Rotax and built by Rotax. That was why the V990 engines were used only on Aprilia bikes. Also, I thought the patented counter balance design was from Aprilia.

The Rotax website site lead me to believe that the V990 is Rotax, although they show a pic of an Aprilia Mille (italian for thousand).
    http://www.rotax.com/en/Engine/2004/...ine.Models.htm

Thanks for any clarification. Just for my own information, no more than that.
    12 Super T 1200, 10.5k+ miles
    09 Red Connie, Kawa C14 ABS (GTR 1400), 59k miles, gone
    03 Cappy; 07 Tuonita, both gone but never forgotten

apriliaforum expert
    I've been to Rotax's website also. My impression was that they were showing the type of technologies and services they offer and were using Aprilia as an example. You can not by the engine directly from Rotax. You have to buy it from Aprilia. Also I believe at one point KTM wanted to use the 990 engine in their Duke but Aprilia wouldn't let them. From what I understand the engine development was collaboration between Rotax(building) and Aprilia(design).

The V60 engine was designed in house at aprilia. Project leader on the engine development team was Mariano Fioravanzo. Giorgio Del Ton was chief engine designer. Two patents came out of the effort. AVDC, Anti-Vibration Double Countershaft and PPC, Pneumatic Power Clutch.

If you search those two names you will find more.

EDIT: I seem to be in error with some of my information here.

Thanks to the efforts of Bikoman he has found the patents for both the PPC and the AVDC and they originated from within Rotax. Three Austrian engineers are responsible. Not an Italian in sight. Thank you very much for clearing that up. I seem to be guilty of believing everything I read in the motorcycling press and certain big wigs at aprilia are guilty of over emphasizing their role in designing the V60 engine.

PPC Patent

AVDC Patent

Click on the image links on there, those are them....
    Last edited by kzmille; 08-01-2007 at 02:22 PM.

apriliaforum Member deeeliciousblue's Avatar
    I can't remember where I read it but I thought Cosworth engineering worked closely with Aprilia on the design of the engine. Afterall what would a bike assembler know about designing a high performance engine. Afterall it's a very complex thing to design and get right.

Quote Originally Posted by deeeliciousblue
    I can't remember where I read it but I thought Cosworth engineering worked closely with Aprilia on the design of the engine. Afterall what would a bike assembler know about designing a high performance engine. Afterall it's a very complex thing to design and get right.
    Cosworth designed the engine of the Mille SP for WSB homologation as well as the engine for the RS3 Cube in MotoGP.

apriliaforum Junkie CalPolyMille's Avatar
    Anybody have the patent numbers or any technical documents relating to the Pneumatic Power Clutch?

Here is something from the training manual:

Last edited by kzmille; 04-07-2013 at 05:11 PM.

apriliaforum expert ChicagoFactory's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kzmille
    The V60 engine was designed in house at aprilia. Project leader on the engine development team was Mariano Fioravanzo. Giorgio Del Ton was chief engine designer. Two patents came out of the effort. AVDC, Anti-Vibration Double Countershaft and PPC, Pneumatic Power Clutch.

If you search those two names you will find more.
    I think the engine was designed by Aprilia, but was built by Rotax. I also think that Mariano Fioravanzo help design KTM's LC8 990 engine.
    Mike
    2007 Tuono