Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not Aprilia, But whats the latest on KATO

Mille Ryan

Not Aprilia, But whats the latest on KATO

Just wanted to see if anyone had heard any new news on KATO. The moto GP site has nuthin new. Hope he makes it for his families sake. when they were loading him on the strecher it looke pretty bad.

deksawyer

Posted by Starboy (thanks mate!!), on the rsvr.net forum;

Kato's condition is very serious, He is now in a deep coma. Dr Costa says there is only a 15% chance of survival. There is aproblem between his first and second vertebrae and even if he does survive he will have lost the use of his arms, legs and even breathing and would be on a respirator at all times and paralyzed from the neck down. About the crash not much is known as there is no video. Gibernau was the only witness.....

"I broke something on my bike at the start and stopped to fix it. When I got back in the track I found myself behind Kato. I was right behind him and I was going about 250kph and I saw him start his braking and change gears. In that place all riders follow the same line, right left right. Kato instead went left. I don't know why and even the telemetry doesn't say anything. I could not believe my eyes. I saw him go suddenly left and crash into a wall at 200kph and I think in 4th gear. I've never seen anything like this.
    It's crazy to crash into a wall in 2003 as has happened to Melandri, Barros, Poggiali and Ukawa..Cecchinello was lucky but he got really close to the guardrail at full speed in the straight. We can no longer race at Suzuka and everyone has to understand this. I don't want to race here again, it would be crazy.

Also what we know is that Kato's helmet was broken in two places and he has blood at the base of his brain.
    After the crash there was no heartbeat and breathing. He was reanimated and put on a respirator and airlifted to hospital.

Kato's life depends on the next few hours. He's had a Catetere applied to his leg artery to lower his blood temperature and has multiple wounds on his body. Dr Costa says that Kato will undergo a therapy of Barbiturici (no translation) to reduce his brain activity and not stress the brain, and hypothermia.

Lastly about how this happened, but not yet confirmed yet..a photographer noticed that his right front disc had the Carbonium braking strip missing while the brake pump and the left disc appeared to have no damage. So his brake was probaly working on the left side only which might explain why he suddenly went left during braking.

When I saw the footage I personally couldn't understand why he and the bike were on the left side of the track and thought he must have been involved in an incident with another rider like Cecchinello was earlier, otherwise it must be mechanical failure. Rider error, no chance, not Kato...Too good a rider...I only remember this feeling after Senna crashed... The lack of information afterwards. The MotoGP site is telling nothing

The bike is now in the custody of Dorna officials who will investigate the crash.

All I can say is I will miss you and good luck.

Kato had a daughter 11 days ago and would have been 26 today....

I accidently bumped into the The Venjer on Saturday at a bike store where I tried the new Shoei Kato Replica. We both remarked about the Manga blood shot eyes on the rear...(Less than 24 hours later...Tragedy)

All this information has been gathered from the Italian Press..Please pass this on as I know British GP fans are mostly in the dark...

Mr MilleR aka StarboY

Mille Ryan

Thanks for the info Dek.It doesnt look good for him.

Aldo Steptoe

Google News seems to find recent posts.

I would rather to have dreamt it though.

loj68

I had forgotten that Kato was Colin Edwards' teammate in the 2002 8 hours of Suzuka race which they won. He's probably especially torn up about that awful crash. Stuff like this makes me think of getting back into cars with nice airbags.

jng1226

This is horrible. Katoh seemed like such as soft-spoken person, and he has been a great racer. He absolutely dominated 250cc racing in 2001 and was looking to become a contender on the V-5.

This is yet another reminder of how what we do can be potentially very dangerous. I have been considering for some time to leave the race bodywork on the Mille R and not ride like an idiot on the street anymore. I know this accident happened on the track, but hitting something hard (like a wall, car, guardrail, etc.) is DEFINITELY more likely on the street.

VIR, my local track, is a lot safer (in terms of run-off and off-track obstacles) than any of the roads I ride.

I pray for Katoh, his family and for all of my motorcycling brethren - stay safe! I love this sport, but sometimes it just sucks.

davenet

Here's the kicker- I had recorded the race & watched it last night.

When the camera is showing the up track view, and everyone is trying to figure out who had crashed, the "medics" grabbed him by hands & feet, pull him up like a rag doll & put him on the strecher. They are lifting him off the track as the leaders come into view in the back ground.

So, in less than two minutes (by the time the crash ends & the medical aid gets to him), they completely assess the situation & decide to get him off the track. The race should have been red flagged.

1) He appeared to be face down when they lifted him.
    2) They had to restart his heart.
    3) Any rider should be treated like they have a head - neck injury, ESPECIALLY when the rider is unconscious! Come to find out the dude has a broken neck!!!:| How much of the damage was done putting him onto the streacher w/ NO HEAD SUPPORT??

All of this to keep the racing going. I'm sure that Katoh's family is happy his limp body didn't interfere with the outcome of the race.

Bill in OKC

re:KATO

A Honda rider on a Honda at Honda's track. I wonder if Honda will modify the track to make it safer? I feel so bad for Kato and his family. It is obvious that the track officials do not plan or train for the unthinkable situations.

Dug206

Cornerworkers

I'm with you Davenet, I couldn't believe what I saw when they picked him up like that. I started yelling at the tv. My wife asked "what else are they supposed to do?" I said "Don't move him, he could have a head or neck injury, red flag if your worried about him or where he's at." With him needing to be ressetated (can't spell) the race should've been stopped right then and there. No second chances or guessing when it's something that serious. I as a fan want safety and health to be a priority. The race is not even a priority at that point.

Ricky J

Mechanical Failure?

I wonder if this was caused by something simple like a broken clip-on?

Smoke Eater 41

Emergency workers

I need to comment here.

I do a lot of rescues and there are times when a person needs to be removed from a scene for their own safety or risk being injured more. The race should have been red flagged. Absolutely! But the corner workers were getting him out of harm's way and sometimes that takes priority. I would say from what I saw they had only one choice given that bikes were coming around again at very high speeds. The Japanese aren't really know for their meat wagon methods. They're pretty advanced. Did you see the F1 race earlier when the wheel was on the track? Imagine if Kato was hit by Rossi. Kato would be dead and Rossi would be down.

There is a rumor that one of his front rotors came off. But that's just a rumor right now. We may never know.

davenet

Re: Emergency workers

Smoke,

Being a fire fighter with current medical training and a track rider at Loudon gives you the leg up on me. BUT, the crash / fire scenes that you speak of are in relatively or totally uncontrolled conditions. People definitely need to be removed from more harmful situations when the danger warrants.

The difference is this happened on a closed racing course. The course workers have radios to inform others of the problems. The corner workers in the previous (two?) corners are showing the yellow. The riders can't pass under the waving yellow and (speculation on my behalf) when I see corner workers in the track even Rossi has to think "Oil??" for a split second and adjust his speed accordingly.

If they were dragging a bike off the course it is one thing. Katoh was face down, unconscious and had just had a huge get-off. You have the radio, stop the race. NO race should ever take precidence over a riders safety. If this was in a public location I would agree with you. Even with the bikes coming around the corner, the workers should have stood their ground and waved the riders to the inside. The riders have the experience & would have adjusted accordingly.

I just hope that Katoh already had the injurys he has when they lifted him on that strecher w/ no neck support.

Bill in OKC

re:

I can see that there might have been no other choice for the emergency crew but that leaves me wondering: How hard can it be to get a race shut down? There must be some way to communicate to every rider at every part of the track to stop racing - right now! Lights, flags, radio signals to the rider or engines or something. These bikes are so MF fast now.

ckruzel

Re: loading on a stretcher

once at the pontiac supercross when jeff stanton was knocked unconcience they just tossed him onto a stretcher, it was later said that even though yellow flags were being waved, they had to get him out of harms way and the medial personnel out of the way quickly, as there may be someone that can't slow down in time or may not catch the yellow in time and hurt a medical staff personell or further injur the downed rider, i suspect thats why they got kato out of the way as soon as possible, every rider should be aware of the surroundings, but some are so focused on the race and the track in front of them, they might hit a downed rider

billinjah

Kato

You guys are so right i race club and whenever a rider is motionless they red flag the race its the only way to be safe. sure the leaders may have been coming round but they wqould have seen him and slowed. its best the leaders go round him then stop, than dump him on a stretcher i too was shouting at the screen! when i fell of last year i was lucky only concusion and fractures but they stoipped the race immediately. I also work in the medical field and if Kato's vetebrea was fractured that treatment would have definately caused more injuries. Kato may you make a good recovery all our thoughts are with you and your family

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast