Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Fiamm Dual Horn Installation

Quote Originally Posted by ride200mi View Post
    ^^^^^ Has everyone who has this horn had any problems with them? Just asking as WebBike won't recommend them....
    I had mine installed for about two years and have not had a problem. I know it still works because yesterday it got the attention of a little old lady when she started to move into my lane. I'd say go for it!

Carl

I got these from Halfords (21.99) very pleased. Fitted them today. Used the brackets provided and attached them to the top screw of each wing mirror. Fit very nicely and sound is superb. Cheers Rab.
    Now where's that white van man
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mark

Honi soit qui mal y pense

Quote Originally Posted by ride200mi View Post
    ^^^^^ Has everyone who has this horn had any problems with them? Just asking as WebBike won't recommend them....
    Bit late I know - I had one of these on my Caponord, on which I do some fairly tame dirt roads; it was mounted on the right passenger footrest bracket - and it died in about a year; don't know if it was dust, vibes, moisture (not much of that) or what, but I probably got three good "Gettouttmaway's" out of it and that was it - Kaput.
    I stripped it, blew it through with compressed air and soaked it in WD40, all to no avail. Into the bin it went - pity, as it was a birthday pressie from the missus.
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

apriliaforum newb
    Howdy! FINALLY bought a Futura (previous scoot was a '96 VFR)....and as you can guess......I'm scouring this thread to get ideas for a horn swap. Some funny comments here describing the stock horns. Will let you know what I do, or I'll be back with questions. Great forum!!
    No stop signs, speed limit.........NOBODY gonna slow me down!

apriliaforum expert
    I've had my fiaam horn installed for about 35k miles. It is in the right "cheek" of the fairing. I've found that if I don't use it for a long period of time it takes a few hits of the button to make it sound so I have started tapping it early on in every ride. Now it is back to being dependable.
    Bill
    '02 Rosso Flame Futura

38K miles + 30K kms

Good thread, I've wondered about a horn too and this has several possible options. Sign Guy, you're almost in the neighborhood, well 80 miles or so. I've been curius about how many might be in this part of the country now.
    01 Blue #84, 11/12 with: HeliBars, foam grips, 05 map, Borla cans (Replaced by 2" pipe)/stock silencer, derestricted, metal QD, dash socket, wiring mod. Me: Ford relay +10awg & grd, fuel pump rewire, FPR, vac hoses. Evap gone, CBR coils/harness+ Magnecor, clutch switch bypass. S.S. clutch & front line, RaceTech Gold fork, Cogent rebuilt Sachs, tapered head bearings. Added LED run lights/indicators/brake. All signals also run lights. All lights but Hi/park/brake on dash switch. Hi beam mod, vest plug, wiring block, blue dash SMD's/Red V meter, Tune IFT, PCIII gone. Stripped/polished rims, vented screen, rear petal disc. FH008 soldered DC plug/added grd/hard soldered AC. L/R dash indicator lights, RG frame/fork sliders, vented screen.

Steibl.!!!
    Not to hijack, and wish I'd kept the pics of the fut I installed the horn on. Lower rt inside fairing - fit perfectly with a little cornice mount. Vented right out the rt lower vent. Used the plug 'n play wiring, and gawdamm was it loud!! I'd regularly scare people right back onto the sidewalk!!
    worked great, I highly recommend.
    Jimbob
    Actually, Formerly Teachin DevilDogs to ride bikes
    01 RSVR, 10 HD XR1200 (for sale!) 11 BMW 1200RT, 04 1150 RT gone, 97 Honda VFREVER, KLX250S
    00 RSV-gone, 04 Futura-gone - 04 Futura-gone..

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Argh Oh View Post
    Good thread, I've wondered about a horn too and this has several possible options. Sign Guy, you're almost in the neighborhood, well 80 miles or so. I've been curius about how many might be in this part of the country now.
    Last count there were 6 in Georgia.
    Bill
    '02 Rosso Flame Futura

38K miles + 30K kms

Hm. I think there may be 3-4 in AL including me. Off topic, sorry, but in looking at possible total in U.S. based on way old post of Fut/Capo fuel recall (1300 ish total) and taking into account possible survival rate, I wonder if there are even 7-800?
    01 Blue #84, 11/12 with: HeliBars, foam grips, 05 map, Borla cans (Replaced by 2" pipe)/stock silencer, derestricted, metal QD, dash socket, wiring mod. Me: Ford relay +10awg & grd, fuel pump rewire, FPR, vac hoses. Evap gone, CBR coils/harness+ Magnecor, clutch switch bypass. S.S. clutch & front line, RaceTech Gold fork, Cogent rebuilt Sachs, tapered head bearings. Added LED run lights/indicators/brake. All signals also run lights. All lights but Hi/park/brake on dash switch. Hi beam mod, vest plug, wiring block, blue dash SMD's/Red V meter, Tune IFT, PCIII gone. Stripped/polished rims, vented screen, rear petal disc. FH008 soldered DC plug/added grd/hard soldered AC. L/R dash indicator lights, RG frame/fork sliders, vented screen.

So, I added a Ford Transit horn to my Futura back when I bought it in June of 2013. I used the Velcro method of mounting in the left cheek of the fairing against my better judgement. I prepped the surface by lightly roughing it up with a scotch-bright pad and then cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol. I used industrial Velcro (the same stuff we use to hold disguise kits on to our prototype vehicles) and made sure that the loading of the horn was in compression of the Velcro so the adhesive was under no tension only mild shear from braking and turning. I have never used Velcro to hold anything on a bike that I can make a bracket for as I don't think of it as particularly robust.
    Tuesday morning after a year and a half and 12,000 miles, I was on my way to work and the horn became detached from the fairing along with both sides of the Velcro and fell in to my steering area. This caused the steering to lock against turning to the right. I went down at about 25 mph while initiating a turn into a side street. Damage includes: bent rear brake lever, scuffed mirror, rashed right upper and lower fairing panels, damage to the pillion peg mount, damage to the right grab handle, damage to my right GSG Mototechnik slider, and some soreness to me. I have replaced the lever and the slider but now have to clean up my body work and figure out how I am going to paint this on a budget. I have already spent over 120 fixing the broken bits and will probably spend another 100 before it is done. Because I decided to use Velcro rather than make a proper mount.
    I realise many of you have had no issues in ~1,000,000,000,000,000 miles of commuting in temperatures from -50C to +50C with your Velcro mounts but if anyone want's my opinion, make a solid bolted mount for this modification.
    "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu
    2001 Futura
    Mods: HEL Front and Rear SS Brake Lines, Rear Hugger, Scott Oiler, Oxford HotGrips with eBay LED Dimmer Control, Garmin GPS and RAM Mount, Moko Frame Protection, Elextrex World MOSFeT RR with Wiring Mod, Tom Parker Metal QDs, Loud Ass Ford Transit Horn, Silicone Vacuum Lines, FPR Mod, De-Restricted Intake, 05 Map, Datatool System3 Immobiliser, Yamaha Starter Relay, BagLux Tank Cover and Alpha Bag With Power, Perelli Angel GTs, 25mm 170 Amp Power and Ground Cables, LED AUX Lights, LED Turn signals Converted to Running Lights, 3-Beam Main Beam Mod, Dash LEDs, HID Low Beam, Fuel Filler Neck Chop.
    To Come: Exhaust, Rear Shock, Forks and Brakes.

Sorry to hear this, BadMiker! My horn is attached with cable ties...hope they do not break!
    Twinz - John
    Montpelier, VT

Gone but not forgotten:
    '04 RST 1000 Futura
    '94 R1100RS
    '84 R100CS
    '76 R75/6 w/S fairing
    '80 Guzzi V50 II
    '73 Guzzi V7 Sport

Sorry to see this. Chances and quick fixes are to be avoided on any motorcycle whenever possible. Hope all gets fixed quickly!

Glad to hear you're OK, and the bike's on the mend.

Find myself in a similar situation as of late, had a low speed spill braking over a spot of oil, and a fractured scapula as a bonus. Similar tasks of mending the bike, reassembling the right mirror stalk, broken brake pedal arm, and popped right radiator, then some fresh paint.

You're spot on about the caution regarding anything in the steering or fork area, as a loose horn can cause trouble. It's wise to take a few moments and devise a proper attachment for any horn, especially one with the torque load of a compressor based horn, as it tries to twist out of its mount every time it's operated.

Bob

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345