Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contact enhancer

apriliaforum expert

Contact enhancer

Recently I've been looking for a way to minimize the increased resistance effects that I suspect low cost connectors have on the electrical circuits of my Futura. I was looking for a solution that went beyond the usual keep-the-connector-clean and/or use dielectric grease.
    A friend suggested I google up contact enhancer and a lot of info turned up which might be useful. I've selected one which some of you might find interesting-

http://www.intendedacceleration.com/html/tip_14.html

This isn't a contact cleaner or dielectric grease, but something else which claims to increase conductivity and improve connector reliability.
    John

Great Tip

Now THAT my friend is good information- I may just buy those products to treat my wiring harnesses!

Let's put a stickie on this thread.

I've been using the DeoxIT for several years with good results. The Stabilant is popular on my BMW car list but I haven't tried it yet.
    I will say that the large brass male & female connectors used in the brown connector are not "cheap connectors". The Falco rectifier is identical to ours except it uses a smaller brown connector & standard size normal spades. Evidently the factory felt the Futuras higher output system required the larger spades. Also it's worth noting that only the Futura seems to have the "hot brown connector" problem even though the Falcos do have the low charge problem. Not every Futura has a serious hbc problem. Even when my wiring was only allowing 12.6v to get to the battery my brown connector would get hot but it never came close to melting.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

apriliaforum Junkie
    RE HBC

I had mine melt finally. of note was that it was after i had run the battery down (dead) while trying too get it started one day after work. for some reason the injection was waaayyy too rich and i had to open the throttle to give it enough air to run. After much black smoke from the exaust it ran fine (temp came up as normal and bike operated normally). Later on the ride home at about 75 in the fast lane and in traffic the bike died. First the speedo didnt read , the lights dimmed, then silent running, and a dive for the right side shoulder.

With the bike dead by battery i checked the brown connector...melted. So i separated the wires and blade connectors from the melted plastic, taped them up and got a jump start. After I got home I put in bullet connectors and its been fine since.

I have added an extra wire from the voltage regulator to the battery, the 05 map, evo air filter and staintunes.

It seems that the connectors inside the brown plastic have a snap in to lock them together and the plastic holder isn't getting the metal bits to snap together when assembled. You could check this by using a small screwdriver to push the blade connectors together and see if they snap into place.

zig

If anyone has any Stabilant 22 they want to sell, please PM me. I am also looking for a Futura side stand and seat!

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Futura
    If anyone has any Stabilant 22 they want to sell, please PM me. I am also looking for a Futura side stand and seat!
    NAPA has this but be prepared for sticker shock. Or do a google where it can be found for less.
    John

Yes, thanks, I know about NAPA. Motorola has it for $42. Does anyone know of a lower priced source? This is for the 15mL, alcohol diluted, I believe.

apriliaforum newb
    I have some brand new bottles of CaigLabs Pro Gold contact enhancer I can sell for $5 each. This will treat many connections if used sparingly.

It is a very good product.

Quote Originally Posted by verastarr
    I have some brand new bottles of CaigLabs Pro Gold contact enhancer I can sell for $5 each. This will treat many connections if used sparingly.

Looks to be the same company that makes the Deoxit which I already use. I'm interested in a bottle, let me know how you want to handle the sale.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

I've used Stabilant 22 on my Alfa 164. Its the only thing I would ever consider a miracle product! This is the size bottle I bought, and have had it for like 3 years. A little goes a long way!

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/ite...px?ItemCode=22

Mike
    '04 "Red" Futura
    Last edited by Jalpa_Mike; 04-11-2007 at 02:18 PM.
    Mike
    '86 Lamborghini Countach
    '04 "Red" Futura (sold 10-5-2010)
    '83 Lamborghini Jalpa (sold 10-22-09)
    '02 Maserati GT Coupe (sold 11-19-09)
    '74 Maserati MC-10 Bicycle
    http://www.italianconcours.org
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. -- Enzo Ferrari

Update?

Quote Originally Posted by verastarr View Post

Whatever happened to this? Was any sale transacted? I would be interested in a bottle as well (better late than never).
    "The fact is that sport-touring is about delicious movement, freedom to go slowly and relax or to turn the throttle and run, with just enough of your favorite stuff in the saddlebags."--CW
    nero ash color | colder fuel disconnect | derestricted air intake | blinder laser jammer | throttlemeister | invisiguard paint protection | carbon fiber hugger | ohlins rear shock | ohlins fork re-valve | ohlins steering damper | R&G crash protectors | iridium spark plugs | apex SS lines | corbin backrest for 2-up riding | dark wheels customized | borella rectifier | pivot covers | k&n air filter | HIDx1 | pazzo shorty race levers | gixxer mirrors | Kisan Relay Flashers + Running Lights

i've replaced all my rectifier connections. tried the male/female
    spade conn's. tried butt connectors. during an oil change,
    dealer said i needed to solder everything. even then i got
    browning around the wires. i ride in hot temps (TX).
    if fails again i'm taking it to AF1.

apriliaforum Member
    Does anyone know if you can use 91% isopropyl alcohol rather than 99%? I cannot locate teh pure stuff in any of the pharmacies in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by futura-art View Post
    Does anyone know if you can use 91% isopropyl alcohol rather than 99%? I cannot locate teh pure stuff in any of the pharmacies in the area.
    Yes, the rest is just water...

For those curious, Stabilant 22 is also available at most any US auto part stores with access to these national brands:

• Standard brand, part no: SL5
    • CarQuest brand, part no: 53-1303

Big bucks though, lists around $98.00 USD per bottle. Cheapest I can find it is $65.00. (Used to be around $48.00 last time I bought one 11 years ago)
    No Matter Where You Are, There You Go!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast