Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Ride

apriliaforum expert Prilliant03's Avatar
    Jesus, that sucks. Deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Hope it wasn't somebody who frequents this board. I can't help but consider all the guys here to be friends.
    "Life is like a sewer. You only get out of it what you put in."

Tom Lehrer.

Quote Originally Posted by Prilliant03
    Jesus, that sucks. Deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Hope it wasn't somebody who frequents this board. I can't help but consider all the guys here to be friends.
    I am not sure, but some of his friends are apriliaforum members

apriliaforum prov-nov

I appreciate the experiences shared here

What I've read in this thread has been good re-enforcement. I'm another one of the 50+ yr old getting back on after 10 yrs off. I've made many mistakes in the first year back on it. Bought a demo Ducati ST3 Aug 2004 by taking out a loan, didn't pursue trying to include All the Proper Gear! I did get new Arai helmet, ok gloves, and borrowed HD textile jacket! First month wore jeans and Red Wing leather boots, then bought a used 1pc leathers and boots for my first track day (low-sided 3rd session, typical broken parts, bike and me, didn't allow riding rest of day) did sit in on class rooms.

Bought Vanson 2pc, better gloves and somehow made thru the next summer. Explained: I would be invite to join in on group rides, well these groups had tons of experience on me and I found myself pushing too much, even tho I'd be told to ride my own pace etc...it didn't take long to figure out solo rides made more sense (ended up solo anyway in group rides lol). Logged some decent miles and found remote twisties w/o cages. Then by summers end, autumn actually I joined in a overnight group ride and first day low-sided in a curve. I was waved on to pass another biker so I did but can't recall speed and how I missed setting up for this corner, did the wrong by opting to brake vs stuffing it. That's a big one for me, haven't been able to afford track days to safely find that confidence.

I was riding with a right foot/mid cafe cast on from being ejected off my first 125 2 stroke w/o proper dirt gear (only had hiking boots) at Sand Mt. NV In my eyes riding with the cast had little or nothing to do with that low-side. I have lack of skills and the boner poor judgement to try passing to fault.

My second season now just past has been a milestone of improvement with so much more wanted and needed to learn. I love it all even if I'm frustrated by the slow incredments of improvement. 38k and I'm still can't hang with most in the twisties. Here is where this thread helps out a lot. I get down on myself for still being of novice skill and have wondered that maybe I don't have eye/brain actions for this (game on in the twisties). My caution has kept me typing here I suppose but also I've read some things in this thread that I've actually been doing correct so now I feel a little better about how I approach the future twisties.

As I wait for the means to switch from the ST3 to a Tuono it's all about getting closer to the feel, i.e., when I had a planning dinghy I was right there in as close to the waves, water, wind, the whole energy pkg in a mini capsule, that's what I hoping for with the Tuono over the ST3. OR should I consider a motrad bike Husky 610TE for the street? I doubt I fully use the T's 130+ hp but I do ride all day and constantly at that.

In hindsight: I don't have the money needed to do this motorcycle thing the way I'd like too; multiable instructional track days, better gear, change type of bike.

But I'm addicted to even my novice level of skills & the thrills that can be had.

Sorry if I've veered off track for the started thread, ok by me if this should be posted else where.

Long story short I've learned a lot from these forums. Thanks

apriliaforum prov-nov RSVR Buncey's Avatar

Good info Bigdawg

Hi,
    Good post mate, but interestingly statistics differ slightly here in the uk if we can believe what the government reports for last year tell us.
    Apparently 60% of all our fatalities occur with no other vehicle involved, on a bend, going too fast, and most interestingly the police expert quoted in the article i read claimed most bike crashes on bends are at a speed that the bike was capable of negotiating the bend at, implying rider error, I can see the sense in this because if we are honest at some point in our riding lives (i have) most of us will have found ourselves too fast going into a corner and committed the sin of rolling off or worst still braking its an instinct thing!
    Also a high portion of these riders (i cant recall the figures) were in there forties, a fact i attribute to the guys who after years of not riding or have never riden find themselves later in life with the financial ability to buy a big sports bike and do as there first bike.

I lost a great friend on his zx7r aPRIL 2006 a very capable but very fast road rider who had owned sports bikes for over ten years aged 38 (missed dearly) he left were we work on a fri afternoon (his birthday) at 2pm and by 2:12pm he had crashed fatally in a country lane he rode frequently, i visited the scene that day with his family and found debris (indicators/wingmirrors etc) over 100yrds from where he crashed on the bends apex so i know he was going too fast. All of which sadly goes to confirm our statistics, the police found no fault with his bike, I feel sometimes our ambitions are greater than our abilites.

I think track time is a good way to improve your reactions at speed on bends where if you get it wrong the consequences arent likely to be so high.

Ride safe Buncey
    Last edited by RSVR Buncey; 01-07-2007 at 05:05 PM.
    .....Past............Present....

A lot of UK sportsbike riders are fourty something occasional riders. Many of them passed their test in the days when it was easy, haven't updated their skills for bikes which are faster than anything they've ridden before, and don't do enough miles to build up new expertise. Training still fails to do enough to teach people how to ride properly. Real cornering skills need track days to develop, and the equally important art of correct positioning for bends on the road isn't really looked at unless you do an IAM course

I have a friend, nearing retirement, who complains bitterly at the low mileage that some of his club members do, from the lofty perspective of his 3,000 annual miles, and another friend who's 6 year old bike still hasn't done 3,000 miles.

It's this group of riders that distorts the accident stats. Prior to the emergence of middle aged born again biker about 15 - 20 years ago the figures were different, with a majority of accidents caused by third parties, and a high percentage of inexperienced riders amonst the victims, although the stats then failed to show that many of these accidents would have been avoided by more experienced riders.

There is a problem with group rides. The group tends to push - a little bit of macho posturing maybe - at a rate that the same people riding solo might not quite do, and a manouever by the guy at the front, perfectly safe in itself, may not be when the guy at the back follows 30 seconds later, pushing to keep up. It's paradoxical that the guys at the back actually have to work harder and be sharper, but these are also the least experienced on most rides. Maybe you should let these guys set the pace, but then there's the risk of them not wanting to appear slow and overcooking it. I just avoid group rides.

Rob

apriliaforum prov-nov RSVR Buncey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by williamr
    There is a problem with group rides. The group tends to push - a little bit of macho posturing maybe - at a rate that the same people riding solo might not quite do, and a manouever by the guy at the front, perfectly safe in itself, may not be when the guy at the back follows 30 seconds later, pushing to keep up. It's paradoxical that the guys at the back actually have to work harder and be sharper,Rob
    Very true Again been there done that, when i first past my test i rode at the back in our group when the guys at the front took overtake oportunities i couldnt also take within seconds there out of sight and id find myself topping out my zx6 to catch up on the straights, stupid i know but ive grown up since.

Group rides are inherently more dangerous for a number of reasons best advice i ever had "just ride your own ride" and i stick to it.
    .....Past............Present....

Red face

Great post, guys

I lost my best friend 3 yrs ago...and I walk everyday near that tree, on a straight but narrow, full of roots, he was riding to his girlfriend but he never arrived @ her home and I really don't know how he died but if there's one thing that I can do is to continue to ride...the life must go on...

I did a few highsides , I was in hospitals and I'm a little pissed of about those horrible places... screams and screams...

but my bike's passion/love and my willness to come back and ride was huge and it helped me a lot.

"I'm just from the old school where you get on the bike,
    open the throttle, go fast, brake later than the next guy,
    go fast around the corner and win the race. Why complicate it?"
    - Carl Fogarty -

RSVR 04 - a.k.a. BUBI - modlist
    - level 2 airbox mods;
    - full titanium GPR: wrap in progress;
    - high performance titanium clutch discs;
    - 520 RK racing chain (16x44);
    - OZ rims;
    - Satoracing's rearsets black;
    - Plastics with CKruzel's decals black;
    - Brembo 19x18 brake black;
    - Brembo 16x18 clutch black;
    - PCIII usb also black (like the blues brothers);

apriliaforum expert Jet City Racer's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jet City Racer View Post
    Well, Monday was 5 years since my "cheated with death" crash. Medivac'd to Stanford ICU with 2 trauma teams and three surgeons waiting for the chopper to land at about 3 PM after losing it at almost 100mph and doing a human pinball impersonation off a tree lined cliff. I didn't come out of surgery until around 1:00AM the next morning. I finally got to go home with about 17" of titanium almost 3 months later in a wheelchair with a granny walker to get into the bathroom.

Glad I'm still here to piss you off!!!
    Make it 6 years today!!!
    "Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

JET CITY RACING
    Faster than the speed of darkness!

www.facebook.com/jetcityracer

AFRP #1

Thanks to all my 2012 Sponsors for keeping the dream alive!

www.maximausa.com
    www.scorpionusa.com
    www.drippinwet.com
    www.rhinomoto.com
    www.spidergrips.com
    www.calcoastmotorsports.com

apriliaforum expert

Lucky you

Glad you're still here: you've made a positive contribution to this forum and, by extension, humanity. Thank you.

That's Gonna Leave a Mark

It's the brush with death that makes us remember how great life is.

RZ Rob

Keep the Rubber Side Down

Bikes

2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory - Silver (the fastest color)
    2007 Aprilia SXV 550 - Plated
    1999 Aprilia RS250 - Plated
    2003 Honda CRF150 - Plated (girlfriend's toy)
    2006 Honda CRF450 - Fun Toy
    1970 Honda Z50 - Plated (pretty clean)
    GoPed Sport - Conquered IOM TT in 2000

Make it 6 years today!!!
    Congrats, JCR. I have managed to avoid anything that serious in the way of mishaps, but had my scare November 06' with a high side and roadside nap and simple ambulance ride and surgeries.

Cheers to 2008 and a 7th year of survival.

Make it 6 years today!!!
    Don, for what its worth. probably four or five years ago i got my hands on an 03R and i posted my thread of how i abused it on the the street. you proceeded to edumicate me (flame me). i eventually stopped riding the street and raced and did pretty well. some of your bikes parts raced on with my assistance. i read your post here and just want to say thanks for several different reasons. glad your stil around.
    Formerly WERA 988
    03R Street/race
    03 Standard, had Jet City Racer's SB engine
    04 RSVR race
    04 Tuono
    08 Bol D'Or

Quote Originally Posted by Bene View Post
    2wheelyank after the wait what will you get ?

Aprilia down in Lincolnshire

Was it one of ours? news reports are vague - Black 1000cc Aprilia

From the BBC website.

Motorcyclist dies in road crash

A motorcyclist has died during a collision with a car in Lincolnshire, police have confirmed.

The black Aprilia motorbike collided with a Ford Focus on the A631 at West Rasen at about 1540 BST on Sunday.

The 46-year-old male rider, who was from Retford in Nottinghamshire, sustained fatal injuries. The road was closed for several hours after the crash.

Police have appealed for witnesses to the incident to contact them.

Condolences to family and friends, regardless.

while i have never seen or been a part of a motorcycle fatality i have seen a good number of fellow riders go down, and the good majority of the crashes are a result of mid corner brake application. i know you can get away with some trail braking, if you are well practiced in the technique. i started on the dirt as a kid (4 or 5 years old) and rode until i was 19 or so. i had an sv650 as my first bike and had a blast. i ride with a bunch of people from work and alot of them are very new bikers, most of them are progressive riders and very open to coaching, but a few are just stupid and i have seen a couple go down for no real reason. all im saying is take the time to learn correct techniques, instincts and reactions, get some track days going, BUY QUALITY GEAR (i see too many people either not wearing any gear or they cheap out and buy $30 gloves or $120 helmits) and teach others along the way. we are at war out there with everyone in a cage and Mr.Tarmac does not discriminate.

thats my .02
    2007 TuonoR (36k miles)
    -cored stockers, Pazzo shorties, Rhino/Woodcraft sliders, Evo airbox, Evo tail, carbon, map2, 15T, Rizoma bars/weights, Woodcraft rearsets, street cred.

2000.5 MilleR (40K miles)
    "Race Use Only" chip/pipe.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast