Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg
    Howdy;
    I thought the following was a great article from Sport Rider magazine Dec 2004, the Benchracing section and I wanted to share it with those who might not have seen it.

The article is by Steve Garets who is the director of TEAM Oregon. I have gotten permission from Steve and SR magazine to allow me to legally put the article on BB's.
    THE LAST RIDE
    by steve garets

After coaching thousands of riders, from rank beginners to veteran motor officers, Iím convinced that the answer lies in the eyes. Quite simply, where you look is where you go.
    So true, so widely used as a phrase. And yet coding that into our circuitry is the challenge. When, in the intensity of the moment, our gaze is diverted to what can possibly be looming and in doing so helps make it so.

I think the last paragraph says it all. This same info is stated in different ways by Keith Code, Lee Parks , Freddie Spencer and any other motorcycle instructor or top rider. We need to focus on these aspects of cornering, especially our entrance speed, initation of turn and throttling up.
    And yet, when you share this with noobs, they say something like: yeah I know, set up proper corner entry speed, blah blah blah. They just don't get it. Until that is, until they crash 1 or 3 times. If they are lucky and survive, they go on to learn.

--------------------

Montreal, Canada
    http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/r...ll/ulysses.htm

a man's judgement changes with age and experience

When I was less sensible (younger) I rode at full speed on public roads as a standard practice. Like all young men, I thought it just wasn't going to happen to me.
    When my friends died at the track, I shrugged it off. "well that's racing. If you're afraid, you don't belong on the track." But a lot of them died. Sometimes they tried too hard. Sometimes it wasn't their fault. Brake calipers fell off. A guy at sears hit a deer. Oil on line. And so on. But it is true, if you want to win races against the big boys, you have to ride a little faster than you can. This commitment to winning can get you killed. No risk, no gain.
    Being older and wizer (and tireder) and still alive to think about it, I see that riding on public roads like they were lined with spectators rather than guardrails is foolish, and sooner or later will catch up to you.
    Recently one of my old friends (David Emde) died on a local mountain road. David was national champ, beat Roberts fair and square on a TZ750, won Suzuka, Won Daytona, etc.etc.etc. To say that he was a good rider is an understatment.
    What happened to him? He was having too much fun. Fell in a dry, clean, corner and played superman across a canyon. Died instantly. Everyone in the industry was at his funeral. I saw a lot of old friends, but it wasn't the most fun day I can remember. Also, I'm close to the family.
    David was riding in the mountains fast enough to wear out knee sliders in 200 miles, and it got him.
    He is missed.
    Old habits are hard to break, and I still find myself steering street bikes with the back tire. But I keep hearing a little voice in the back of my helmet, saying "There's no purse money for the fastest ride to work today. Slow down and smell the blendzall." Maybe it's David's voice.

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKY DAVE
    Recently one of my old friends (David Emde) died on a local mountain road. David was national champ, beat Roberts fair and square on a TZ750, won Suzuka, Won Daytona, etc.etc.etc. To say that he was a good rider is an understatment.
    David Emde's crash and passing shocked many in the riding community. I didn't know him personally but knew of him.

In skydiving, we have a saying that states that the goal is to survive the jump in order that you can go back and re-experience the pleasure of the skydive again and again.

In racing, the goal is to win. In street riding, you could say that the goal is live to be able to do it again and again.

Montreal, Canada
    Buell Ulysses review
    http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/r...ll/ulysses.htm

apriliaforum prov-nov 2wheelyank's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shep
    A 500? In the states a 16-year-old can legally ride a Hyabusa Ė IF he can buy the insurance.

Not here in Illinois you can. Until you are 18 you can't legally have anything over 150cc's. ah well I can wait a little bit longer
    Yea I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, but I shall fear no evil, for I am the baddest mofo in that damn valley

I didn't know David Emde had been killed, what a shame. My boss and good friend, Ray Hempstead, was second to David in that Daytona race ...... a very close second. In fact, he had set Emde up for that last turn "slingshot" pass that is famous in Daytona but a last lap loose bolt ruined his plans.

I invited Ray to a track day but he declined. Said he thought he would get too confident too fast and end up hurting himself. He does ride a GL1800 on the street but most of his riding is off-road .

My street riding has really tamed since I got back into off-road. I can get the agression out and a good work out at the same time. Did my first track day a few weeks ago at Barber and had so much fun am planning another at Jennings (north Florida) next month.

DB

Question

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelyank
    Not here in Illinois you can. Until you are 18 you can't legally have anything over 150cc's. ah well I can wait a little bit longer

2wheelyank after the wait what will you get ?

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKY DAVE
    Old habits are hard to break, and I still find myself steering street bikes with the back tire. But I keep hearing a little voice in the back of my helmet, saying "There's no purse money for the fastest ride to work today. Slow down and smell the blendzall." Maybe it's David's voice.
    Ya, maybe it is...listen up you crazy old bastard!
    "Tuono doesn't want to gently take your hand and guide you on a trip, it wants to rip it off and run away with it! I always get the feeling that to ride a Tuono you have to be a real man, prepared to fight it every step of the way, where as on the Triumph you can have an off day and not be left feeling inadequate"
    "Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic"

JOIN ME ONAND FOR SOCAL APRILIA GROUP RIDES & UPDATES FOLLOW ME ON

apriliaforum Junkie

knackerd rsv

hi
    took me ages to read all that, good subject.
    i was sitting on my rsv at le-man ,france, leathers mud and cow shit everywere down one side and back, ,rsv scuffs down one side ,broken fairing on edges,mirror missing , screen cracked, no signals on one side ,plate held together sticky tape, the nice polished end can ,oh no. 4 years ownership and then in one sunday afternoon . lined up for a corner tight to left to go right ,hit the gravel brakin,recovered the front wobble , to late on the corner ,turned real hard ,almost made it round, lost hell of a lot of speed going round surprisingly and then touched the grass verge on the way out, pheeeew next thing in a field ,just missed a cow landed on back, spike went between arm pit and chest, old road sign hit by someone else , i'm so lucky , mates felt sick when they seen the broken post, i think the mud and shit saved me, injuries were . pissing blood for a week , ac joint on shoulder , and a testical ,god knows what i caught that on , still waiting surgery. back to le-man ,this old guy 65+ sitting on this new fireblade, said to me , going to fast boy ,my answer was ,maybe i was a little to fast, to confident after ridin all day 200miles ,last 2 mile to home, then he said to me, enjoy them for what they are , not what they will do , emmmm. i think about that before i go out now.

Quote Originally Posted by rote
    enjoy them for what they are , not what they will do
    Great quote.

Recently lost 2 friends enjoying them for what they could do.
    I ride a Red 2003 Falco
    Wife rides a Silver 2003 Falco

apriliaforum expert Jet City Racer's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jet City Racer
    Thanks Vito.
    I'm wondering when someone posts a reply asking me to stop refering to that crash. I'll be glad to respond with this:

"Glad I'm alive to piss you off!"
    Well, Monday was 5 years since my "cheated with death" crash.

Glad I'm still here to piss you off!!!
    "Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

JET CITY RACING
    Faster than the speed of darkness!

www.facebook.com/jetcityracer

AFRP #1

Thanks to all my 2012 Sponsors for keeping the dream alive!

www.maximausa.com
    www.scorpionusa.com
    www.drippinwet.com
    www.rhinomoto.com
    www.spidergrips.com
    www.calcoastmotorsports.com

JCR,

It's good to have you around. For many reasons. Mostly your pics on Babe-of-the-Day.

Ride on...

Duggan
    "I feel strongly both ways."

'01 Mille Blue - Mods (a bunch but not enough)

Former rides:
    '92 VFR750F
    '89 NT650 Hawk GT
    '63 CB77 Super Hawk

apriliaforum expert anzacinexile's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoR
    I had just met him an hour earlier. An Australian young man by the name of Brendan, a friend of a friend kind of deal he came riding with us. He was very mellow gentle kind of guy, he had plenty of riding experience with an Aprilia 250 for the track and a ZX6 for the street.

Single vehicle accident (major brainfart) on a ramp he'd been on countless times before. I found him in the same exact position that we found another friend two years ago: body on the shoulder, head under the guardrail and his leathers looking like there no longer was anybody inside them.

Two of my friends were immediately on top giving CPR, another on the cell calling for help and me up the road stopping traffic. He was brought back twice by the CPR but died again and the ambulance took forever, like 20 minutes although we were centrally located. Finally 6 emergency vehicles arrived almost together, but they couldn't do anything more.

He had been wearing a full face and leathers but his chest was caved in.
    There was no fucking reason for this to happen, none.

Thats bad George. Sympathies to his family and to you and the others who did their best
    Chris
    Probability factor now 1:1, normality has been returned. Anything you canít deal with now is your own problem

Graphicologist Extraordinaire ckruzel's Avatar
    sorry to hear that geor, i think anyone you would call a troll would still feel bad about someone that died

even with political differences, and seeing you seem to hate me, i'm sorry for your loss, a death is a death and it sucks
    2010 White RSV4R
    Custom Graphics
    decal questions? email me at kruzel (at)drippinwet.com
    check us out on facebook!
    Making Decals for some of the Fastest People on the Planet
    J.Hayes | M.Paris | J.Herrin | Z.Herrin | D.Westby | T.Knapp | S.Coviello | S.Villa | H.Nash | B.Solis | J.Day | C.West | A.Welsh | E.Meyers | D.Eslick | G.May | C.Alexander | D.Gaviria | J.Rispoli | J.Pascarella | B.Cretu | S.Mesa |C.Sellerom (check us out on facebook)

I rip people off.... let-imports.com's Avatar
    lol thats funny

Scottish RSV rider RIP

Rider killed last night - details here - pop over and leave condolences.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast