Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Ride

apriliaforum expert
    No Rob, it's called inmaturity. I just didn't know any better. How fast can I go? I'm faster than you. I now don't care if you're faster than me. I just enjoy riding at my skill level. Now I tell people that I play a game when I ride on the street. The game is "what can the other guy do to mess with me and what is my response going to be?" On one hand this is not really a game, the stakes are pretty high. But on the other hand it has served me well. No accidents on the road. Ever. Living in Arizona allows me to ride almost every day.

A 500 at 16? Now 16 year olds are riding R1's. And that's their first bike.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by millietant
    I realise that everyone takes risks when they ride and that everyone thinks they way they do things are the best, but I must say I worry about riders in the US. My wife's family all live in the US and her brother's (3 of them) were all keen on getting bikes, but Liz's parents wouldn't hear of it. When her youngest brother finally talked them round, he did the training/test for his license (said the hardest part was finding an ATM for the payment), passed and went out to ride on his CBR 600. Liz's father was so worried about his lack of training that he sent him over to the UK to do the UK test.

I have to say, Chris was ignorant of some of the most basics of safe riding and without further training would not have been able even to pass the test we have to pass in the UK before we can ride a 50cc (restricted to 30mph) moped, legally, on our roads.

Over the 2 weeks of training, to the standard required to progress onto a 33 bhp machine, Chris 's riding skills and safety improved to point where he was no longer an accident looking for a place to happen.

from what I still see today when I visit, the skill levels required in the US to be licensed to ride a bike in the US still seem to be very rudimentary and I would applaud all of the magazines who preach the gospel of MSF etc.

As I sometimes hear people say over there in the good old US of A, with Freedom comes Responsibility (Common sense is regularly though, sadly lacking!!!!).
    I second that Millietant ,but you should know MSF here is pretty dam rudimentary too. They don't even get out of the parking lot.
    But for some it's better than nothing !

Thats a bit like giving a baby a packet of razor blades to play with.
    You just know what the outcome is going to be.

apriliaforum expert Jet City Racer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macy
    Thats a bit like giving a baby a packet of razor blades to play with.
    You just know what the outcome is going to be.
    While I don't know the exact details of the accident report, a 29 yo first time rider died in the Cannery Row tunnel a few weeks back when he supposedly was racing his buddy through it. Evidently, he did a wheelie but lost control hitting the other rider on a 636 Kawi taking him out too and then struck a light pole at the tunnel exit. He was pronounced dead on arrival. The new riders bike???

A Suzuki GSX1300 Hayabusa.
    "Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

JET CITY RACING
    Faster than the speed of darkness!

www.facebook.com/jetcityracer

AFRP #1

Thanks to all my 2012 Sponsors for keeping the dream alive!

www.maximausa.com
    www.scorpionusa.com
    www.drippinwet.com
    www.rhinomoto.com
    www.spidergrips.com
    www.calcoastmotorsports.com

Ehh, last weekend, I took a trip out to Arivaca, AZ (cool little town). Anyways, on the ride back I came up behind an R1 with a paper plate. Guy was wearing tank top, jeans, shoe (no socks) and a helmet. He was also weaving a little bit. So I came up to the light next to him. Looked over, helmet strap undone, visor missing, no glasses on what so ever. KID goes, "Nice bike." I told him the same and asked how long he'd been riding. 3 months, no JOKE. I pulled at my helmet strap and told him he better use his, the helmet doesn't do much good without it, and told him to hunt down a visor or at least a pair of glasses. For god's sake, who let him leave the store that way?? It's all about the money..

Sorry, kinda long and boring.

Close Call

One of our Caponord brothers gets away with one, but not cheaply or easily: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=52043

apriliaforum Junkie

Dirt & Road

Great thread guys, thanks to Bigdawg for starting it off. I am in of those guys that returned to road riding after a 15 year lay off. I have however, spent the last five years hairing around the bush on KTM 620 and 525's. I picked up a an 04' Tuono in January (partially because it feels lke a big d/bike to sit on). I have no doubt the dirt riding has helped with my defensive riding skills, but switching back to dirt after road seriously F&(*& with your brain! Getting used to the bike squirming all over the place after the stability of the Tuono feels like you are starting out all over again, oh and I have to keep reminding myself that standing up on a roadbike just isn't the done thing!

The one constant in both forms is target fixation and the importance (and discipline) of looking ahead.....

this is a great place to learn i have taken three schools, and it has helped me tremendously

http://www.starmotorcycle.com/

it`sad, but how true. once i was going to pick up my daughter from school, while admiring a ducati at the light. he turned left i proceeded straight, could only hear him up shift on his way. as i returned home in my car, to my surprise the poor man was dead on the pavement. some one made a left Right in front of him while headed for the market. there`s a light there now, but to little to late for the poor rider.

another time i was to-up with my wife on the back, we were exiting the freeway and as i was coming to the light it turend green.

way after the fact as i had not stopped, but up shifted i knottiest a car that was not slowing down. as i applied the brakes she went through the intersection i turned an pulled to the side of the road.

i gave thanks to god for my intuition my perifuel vision and the fact that it was a long visible offramp. the thought of us laying on the ground more than likely dead pissed us both off, but never the less we rode off and enjoyed the rest of the day.

ps be safe, slow up, have fun. ther`s always a place and a time for speed.
    Last edited by flybiyou; 05-22-2005 at 09:30 AM.

How do you spell deliverance??

apriliaforum prov-nov
    My girlfriend's ex boyfriend gave her a 636 for her first bike and he owned a shop. She is almost 110 lbs. I thought it was a great first bike............if you want to kill someone. Can blame him too much.

Today I saw another guy die by the side of the road.

I had just met him an hour earlier. An Australian young man by the name of Brendan, a friend of a friend kind of deal he came riding with us. He was very mellow gentle kind of guy, he had plenty of riding experience with an Aprilia 250 for the track and a ZX6 for the street.

Single vehicle accident (major brainfart) on a ramp he'd been on countless times before. I found him in the same exact position that we found another friend two years ago: body on the shoulder, head under the guardrail and his leathers looking like there no longer was anybody inside them.

Two of my friends were immediately on top giving CPR, another on the cell calling for help and me up the road stopping traffic. He was brought back twice by the CPR but died again and the ambulance took forever, like 20 minutes although we were centrally located. Finally 6 emergency vehicles arrived almost together, but they couldn't do anything more.

He had been wearing a full face and leathers but his chest was caved in.
    There was no fucking reason for this to happen, none.

Not much of an epitaph...

Sorry GeoR, my sympathies to the family and friends.

apriliaforum expert Jet City Racer's Avatar

Sorry you had to witness that GeoR.

Godspeed Brendan.

"Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

JET CITY RACING
    Faster than the speed of darkness!

www.facebook.com/jetcityracer

AFRP #1

Thanks to all my 2012 Sponsors for keeping the dream alive!

www.maximausa.com
    www.scorpionusa.com
    www.drippinwet.com
    www.rhinomoto.com
    www.spidergrips.com
    www.calcoastmotorsports.com

Well....I lost a friend 2 days ago. I guess it was a matter of time. The funeral was just heartbreaking. He was a very skilled rider, mechanic, riding for many many years.And what happens? He dies after his high speed wheelie goes wrong on his ZX-12..No helmet no nothing..I dont know what got into him He was not that kind of a guy..But eyewitnesses say even the best helmet, leather suit would'nt have saved him, he was mutilated so bad..
    Riding sport bikes ( Especially where I live) is just a dangerous act even in its most basic form... But many of us ( Including me) do get tempted by the wheelies, putting our knees down, all those drills..On public roads. Even on this forum, being probably the most sensible of its kind..Information is available, questions are asked.....This guy was a wheelie monster. Wheeling hayabusas, big kwaks at will. And he dies on the freeway. No traffic, no nothin..crashes into the barriers...
    I ask myself now constatly..Why push the limits on the streets?..The riders just die, doing what they love to do, right or wrong..But the families left behind..They are the ones who really suffer for the rest of their lives...
    Be safe everyone...

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast