Thread: Intermittent staring issues

apriliaforum Member

Intermittent staring issues

Over the last few years I have had intermittent starting issues. For a while now it has only started when in neutral with the side stand up and the clutch in.
    Normally it would start fine after rolling a bit forward or backward. A few weeks ago it just wouldn’t do anything when I went to go to work. I tried it again and it turned over on the first touch of the button.
    The next day it wouldn’t start when I went to leave work. I actually ended up bump starting it to get home.
    I suspected the side stand switch as that can play havoc on things. So I bypassed it. Then I could get it to start with the stand down sometimes.... so I suspected the clutch micro-switch.
    I replaced both the side stand switch and the clutch micro switch tonight and it still won’t start unless the clutch is in the stand is up and in neutral. And even then it doesn’t always start.
    When it doesn’t start there is a click under the seat, and the neutral light dims just a little bit, but no joy.
    Now the only thing I can think of is the relay or the clutch position sensor (which I don’t really know what that would be).
    Any insights would be appreciated.
    Can I test the relay? Is there an aftermarket option that doesn’t take 2 weeks to get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for the capo usually there is always some handy solution off the shelf, did you tryied to see if there is any diag code coming up ? and of course that means knowing capo have diag installed from a factory it is under the drivers seat two small long white male female connectors that need to be pluged together , then you turn the key, turn the kill switch and insted of clock on the dash you get codes

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...V1000-Caponord

first pic in this thread are those connectors,

Replace the starter relay a be done with it. The other things you replaced were completely unnecessary.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

apriliaforum Member
    I was afraid of that, but everything I read indicated that the relay was the least likely culprit.
    I think the side stand switch was on the fritz anyway so I guess I probably have an extra clutch micro-switch, and pulled the dash apart for no reason.

apriliaforum Member
    Sparco
    No codes. And I even checked with Tune ECU.

Quote Originally Posted by AbuDanger View Post
    I was afraid of that, but everything I read indicated that the relay was the least likely culprit.
    I think the side stand switch was on the fritz anyway so I guess I probably have an extra clutch micro-switch, and pulled the dash apart for no reason.
    The clicking you heard was from the starter relay being energized but not being able to make contact.
    As long as you have engaged neutral it doesn´t matter if the side stand switch or the clutch switch is defective.
    The starter relay can energize anyway.
    Dont buy a cheap starter relay.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

Not sure about this, you need to check - but hasn't the standard starter solenoid/relay been upgraded by Aprilia? If it has, see how much from AF1.
    My name is Dave,
    bike's name is Black Betty.

When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then.

Caponord - Douglas Dragonfly - 1942 Harley back again
    Pegaso - Matchless G3LS - BSA A7SS - 1942 Harley - Matchless G80/600cc - Matchless G3LS - BSA C15 - Velocette

apriliaforum Member
    https://www.apriliaperformance.co.uk...rsv-tuono.html

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

apriliaforum Member
    I replaced the solenoid with the Yamaha part because I could pick it up today and everything works as it should now .

Clutch-in starting is less work for the starter in any condition as it doesn't have to turn as much mass. I always start clutch-in out of habit for that reason.

apriliaforum Member
    I didn't realize that, and since am in the habit now of clutch in to start I will probably keep doing it.
    Now I need to figure out why my battery died overnight last night
    Any pointers on finding what would drain the battery would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by AbuDanger View Post
    Now I need to figure out why my battery died overnight last night
    Any pointers on finding what w
    The classic move for the one-time flat battery overnight is turning the key past OFF to the position that activates the little parking lamps. If it happens repeatedly and you're not doing that, something else is up.

apriliaforum Member
    I was hopeful that it was that I had accidentally turned on the parking light (what exactly is the point of that anyway?) but the same thing happened yesterday morning.
    Guess I’ll be pulling everything apart again

apriliaforum expert
    Has it got an alarm fitted - they are know to cause problems. Otherwise sounds like your battery is knackered and not holding charge
    I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy