Thread: Thinking of getting Mana moving up from Vespa 300 GT

apriliaforum newb

Thinking of getting Mana moving up from Vespa 300 GT

Hi everyone. My hubs and I have matching Vespa 300 GTs that we tour on. We trailer them behind our RV as they really are not interstate material. Hubs wanted me to move up in cc. I do not shift. Did the motorcycle safety foundation class using a 50 cc scooter and worked my way up to the 300.

We are looking at a Mana on Sunday for me. I have read pros and cons. I am just under 5'4 but it appears that the seat height is the same as my GTS? It's also about 150 lb heavier. I want to stay with an automatic. Can y'all share some insight before I go look? Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5F18901A-3EDA-4E22-AE41-0AFAFF8728D5.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	515.1 KB 
ID:	362620  

apriliaforum Member Patrick Morin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CKHall View Post
    Hi everyone. My hubs and I have matching Vespa 300 GTs that we tour on. We trailer them behind our RV as they really are not interstate material. Hubs wanted me to move up in cc. I do not shift. Did the motorcycle safety foundation class using a 50 cc scooter and worked my way up to the 300.

We are looking at a Mana on Sunday for me. I have read pros and cons. I am just under 5'4 but it appears that the seat height is the same as my GTS? It's also about 150 lb heavier. I want to stay with an automatic. Can y'all share some insight before I go look? Thanks!
    No! at 5,4 you are way too short for a Mana,sorry for you! At 5,9 it's just ok for me,it's a tall bike.

I’m afraid Patrick might be right. The Mana is a tall bike and will feel very top heavy compared to your Vespa. You could lower it with a new spring seat on the rear shock and by dropping the triple trees down the fork legs, but that won’t change how the weight feels. You might also find that the foot pegs get in the way when putting your feet down.
    My daughter is 5’3” and rides a Honda NC700. It is about the same weight as the Mana, but feels much lighter due to its lower centre of gravity. The newer models are 750cc with the option of automatic DCT transmission. They also have the storage compartment the same as the Mana.
    Let us know how you get on.
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

The Mana may be too tall, but you won't know until you try it. Your Vespa has a fairly high and wide seat (over 31" if I recall).
    I am 5'6" with a 29" inseam. I slipped the forks one notch and set up the rear to match and I'm happy.
    I have not had good luck significantly lowering any bike without it adversely affecting the handling.
    So there may be better choices out there for you.
    Since you like the Vespa, I'm assuming that the Mana's design and styling appeal to you.
    You can always get the seat narrowed and reshaped.
    Since you don't need to use the foot shifter, another option to gain an inch or so is with boots like Lady Stars.
    I personally do not find the Mana to be top heavy. It carries it's fuel weight low and feels light and flickable to me.
    You will also appreciate the improved handling due in part to the larger wheels.
    I have had a number of scooters over the years and never felt confidant on the smaller wheels.
    Good luck and let us know how things turn out.
    Thunder Down the Highway - silently.

2006 Scarabeo 500 GT ABS with Velorex 565 Tour
    2006 Scarabeo 500 GT ABS without Velorex 565 Tour - "Rubber Cow"
    1956 BMW R50 in process of restoration
    1969 BMW R69S - Black, the classiest color
    2014 Mana 850GT ABS - Black, the fastest color

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I find this is a good site for comparing bike ergonomics.
    http://cycle-ergo.com/

apriliaforum expert spartan1984's Avatar
    I seem to remember a member on here a few years ago (gopam) who was able to lower the height of the Mana to fit her needs. Don't know the link offhand but a "search" should pull it up.
    spartan1984

2010 Mana 850 GT (totaled)
    2009 Vespa LXV 150 (sold)
    2008 Piaggio MP3 500
    2015 Aprilia Caponord/TP (long distance commuter)
    2017 Ducati Supersport S

apriliaforum Member
    Hi,

I am between 5-5 and 5-4 and did three things: shaved the seat, replaced the rear shock and got some boots with additional inserts. With all three, I can almost flat foot, so am very comfortable when stopped. Easily flat foot on one side and just slightly on the ball of my other foot. The seat is fine even for long-ish trips, 5+ hours.

Good luck on your search. Like the Mana, but you should get what is best for you.