Thread: 2013 Shifter bolt fell out

apriliaforum Member

2013 Shifter bolt fell out

Weird, how does a shifter bolt not just work? I can't tighten the bolt enough to hit the nylon threads without making it too tight to shift. I must have a non-EOM nut or something. It would take a thinner nut to function. It's not weight bearing it just needs a rod to be in there sufficiently tight for the shifter to function and not fall off. I have fought a balance between having it too tight and having it so loose that it comes undone, which it did tonight. I had to hike back into work and get a bolt/washer/nut assortment and fix it by the side of the road. I can buy all new OEM but if it's a known issue, I can just make something up, shove a bolt on there and double nut it and mangle the threads or put a cotter pin in it.

WTF?
    2013 Tuono A-PRC, 2012 Concours 1400, 2008 Speed Triple

Show us a pic of what you got, sounds non OEM. Maybe previous owner stripped thread & bodgied it.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plocky View Post
    Show us a pic of what you got, sounds non OEM. Maybe previous owner stripped thread & bodgied it.
    I would but it's along side the road somewhere lol. I put a bolt through a washer and shoved it through the shifter. Put a washer and nut on the back side and put just enough tension on it to hold it properly, then added a lock washer, then double nutted it rather tightly. I'll roll with that for a while.

When I lowered my pegs an inch with new ones I put the old circlip back on. I just now saw that circlip is gone. Ordered a bunch from ebay and going to do it that way. Bodged it a home made unit until then, but I won't be riding before the circlips arrive Friday, anyway. I guess they rattle loose if they're messed with? Or your just got old/rusted/bent?

The OEM footpeg circlips do not have much spring. When you open them up to take them off they can easily take a set. I threw mine away and drilled the end of the pin for a split pin.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk
    I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered. (George Best, RIP)

apriliaforum Member
    Mine didn't have circlips. just a bolt that went through and some washers and O-Rings and the nut on the inside of the footpeg bracket was 13 mm and Nylok.