Thread: Sportcity 250 or else with Fat Duc O2 longterm fuel consumption?

apriliaforum prov-nov Finprilia's Avatar

Sportcity 250 or else with Fat Duc O2 longterm fuel consumption?

Hey,

does anyone have longterm experience with Fat Duc O2 ?

Experiences here varies so much that I would like know if someone has longterm experience.
    Someone says 40mpg,and other 60mpg, if 60mpg is closer to truth that would be ok, but if it increases to 40mpg, then it is out of the question.

With stock settings I now have 75mpg, or nearly stock, I do have tuning exhaust pipe and DrPulley sliders.
    "As delivered” setting numbers would be great, but of course, all information is welcome.

Thank You. (sorry my broken English)

apriliaforum Member
    I've heard people say between 50-60mpg. I have not heard as low as 40.

It atleast appears as though the switch has the ability to select or tune the bike. With 33,000 miles on my bike I can't really say I have ever had a problem with speed. My bike is completely stock.

Ok, yes, now that I have read whole night these conversations here I have also found those numbers, from 50 to 60mpg.
    That exhaust pipe which I have was bought by the previous owner, I would never pay 500e for a pipe, I did buy those DrPulley sliders and they are good.
    I am not interested in speed, just the throttle response in slow speeds is poor.
    But I just looked how much is shipping to Finland where I live and it is 40$. Wau, that`s a lot for me.

apriliaforum Junkie
    you must post on modern vespa if you "like" dr pulley sliders. I personally think they are junk.
    75mpg in imperial measurements?
    Not sure on your riding habits but as delivered the "fat duc" increased fuel consumption.
    These #s are US... went from 140 miles to a tank of fuel (2.1 gallons) to about 110.
    I turned the pot "leaner" until I got fuel consumption back in the 130 mile range. (about 3 clicks from delivered)
    I can ride from my house to Daytona International Speedway on a tank of fuel WFO (wide f______g open) on a highway which is
    about 94 miles. This bike also has the polini 9 weight variator, malossi red sponge airfilter, slightly modified airbox, and an Akrapovic muffler. So there's your 45mpg on ethanol free fuel. (89 octane) worst case. I arrive at my destination in 85 minutes or less depending on traffic.

Why I must post on Vespa forum if I like DrPulley sliders. I do not understand.
    Do not understand word "imperial".
    75mpg is exact number. I get about 190miles with full tank, use only 99 octane gasoline.
    I only ride full throttle on acceleration, hardly never on freeways.
    Good to know these things about Fat Duc.
    I am not gonna buy it , it would cost me 170$ with shipping and import taxes in Finland, that is just too much for me.
    I did find one vendor at Ebay how has one used one and I offered a switch for him, I have extra new Piaggio fuelpump, if he would switch his Fac Duc with it, will see.

apriliaforum Junkie
    lost in translation I guess...lol. I think you would be more satisfied with the 9 weight variator vs the dr. pulley things.
    190 miles on a tank? Impossible unless you have a tank larger than what the US got...2.4 gallons? Or you ride really slow (like 30mph) and downhill both ways?

The fuel octane seems high vs what we use in the US. I take it thats RON?

Tank size, 10.5l.
    10.5 / fuel consumpiton 3.1l/100km = about 300km
    300km to miles, about 190miles.
    We have 95, 98 and Shell Power V 99 octane, I use only Shell Power.
    I do not ride in a city, I mainly ride at what you could call "almost freeway" size roads, speed limit there is 60-70kmh.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Finprilia View Post
    Tank size, 10.5l.
    10.5 / fuel consumpiton 3.1l/100km = about 300km
    300km to miles, about 190miles.
    We have 95, 98 and Shell Power V 99 octane, I use only Shell Power.
    I do not ride in a city, I mainly ride at what you could call "almost freeway" size roads, speed limit there is 60-70kmh.
    which would explain your high mpg!
    10.5 liters is a 1.5 liters more fuel than the US sportcity 250s have.
    Which would also explain your range.

I use non ethanol 89 octane fuel in the US. No need for super and no benefit from it.
    If I used 87 octane ethanol fuel my fuel range drops to ~90 miles.

apriliaforum expert
    There were some posts here a few years ago with details on how to build your own FatDuc clone at a much lower cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    There were some posts here a few years ago with details on how to build your own FatDuc clone at a much lower cost.
    Yeah, I have seen those posts and I also wrote about FatDuc to Finnish scooter site, and there people said the same. "Hey, those parts cost about 10 euros, you can do that yourself"
    But I can not build one, have no skill to do any kind of soldering and know nothing about those kind of electrical parts.
    I can solder wires together, that`s my skill level.
    One thing which I do not understand about that DIY FatDuc is where people get those connectors/plugs, or do they make it solid between original wiring.

I did find FatDuc alternative, exact same thing, The Motocorsaro O2 Optimiser.
    I could not find any information about this optimiser being used with Quasar 250cc, so I emailed the guy who makes them and he said it is 100% same as FatDuc.
    I am going to order that, original prize is about same as FatDuc`s, but I can get it from United Kingdom, so there is no 35e shipping cost and there is no import taxes inside Europe area.

I did the air box mod, the one that is here somewhere, I did calmly (right word?), mild, I followed the instructions so the tube inside the airbox is now about 30% larger.
    I think it helped a bit, bike "feels" now somehow sharper and revs up easier.

About the fuel consumption, I do not know why I even think it so much, maybe because I am frugal by my nature.
    But really, I use my bike about 4 or 5 months per year and drive about 4000km on that period, so if consumption increases 1l/100km it is no money issue for me.
    Last edited by Finprilia; 07-13-2018 at 10:36 AM.

apriliaforum expert
    Its a fairly standard Molex connector. In one of the threads they posted where to buy them on-line however a good auto-parts store might have them in stock locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    Its a fairly standard Molex connector. In one of the threads they posted where to buy them on-line however a good auto-parts store might have them in stock locally.
    Ok, I thought they were Aprilia`s own plugs, this just shows how much I know about scooter electronics, but, you can not know everything.
    I ordered the alternative one from ebay, it cost me 80 euros, but then again, by painting my mothers house by myself, I, or should I say my family, is saving about 6000$, so, maybe I can buy one 80e gimmick.