Thread: Vibration on handlebars from 60 km/h

apriliaforum newb

Vibration on handlebars from 60 km/h

Hello, everybody,
    I have a big problem with my Aprilia Sportcity Scooter 250 ccm.
    At a speed of about 60-80 km/h the handlebar starts to beat/vibrate if I don't hold it.
    In the meantime I have carried out the following repairs.
    1. steering head bearing replaced, even for the second time (currently no original bearing)
    2.rubber pads at the engine suspension renewed
    3. For wheels, have them balanced.
    Unfortunately, so far everything without success. Any of you have any advice
    Thanks in advance
    Markus

apriliaforum prov-nov Pinkscoot's Avatar
    You have covered the usual suspects. Possibly a bearing, but it might make noise. Is there any play on the front or rear wheel? A long shot something in the CVT that doesn't present itself until you're at speed.
    Italian scoots owned: 2003 Scarabeo 150, 1998 Italjet Velocifero, 2009 Vespa GTS 250, 2012 Vespa S50, 2007 BV 250, 1977 150 Sprint Veloce (future project) and Vespa ET2 (future project)

apriliaforum newb
    Hello,
    No, the front and rear wheels have no play.
    The question would now be whether an original steering head bearing from Aprilia would really help here, I doubt it a little.

apriliaforum expert
    What type of tread do the front tires have?

Usually when a Sport City develops head shake its because the tire tread on the front wheel has worn unevenly during heavy braking. The twin brakes up front do provide a lot of stopping power compared to other similar sized scooters and are the same as those on 500cc and larger bikes weighing twice what the Sport City does.

Some tread patterns will require you to increase the pressure on the front tire 2 to 4 PSI without going over the Max PSI rating stamped on the sidewall. The OEM Sava Diamonds and tires that have a similar tread pattern are particularly prone to this while the Michelin Power Pure are not.

The issue is that tread on tires with a light carcass tends to squirm under heavy braking so that the leading edge of the tread blocks wear faster than the trailing edge making it so there are contact gaps in the tread afterwards that alternate from the left to right side of the tire which then at certain speeds sets up a harmonic that can shake the handle bars sometimes violently.

Some have the steering head checked and or bearings replaced when they put on a new tire or just put on a new tire having it spun balanced and believe its the bearings or balancing that corrected the issue when in reality it was the new tire that resolved the issue. If you put the same model tire or one with a similar tread pattern on, the shake will likely go away however the shake likely will come back after a hundred or so miles are put on the bike and the new tire starts to wear unevenly from braking.

Tread pattern that's prone to cause head shake:

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fips View Post
    Hello, everybody,
    I have a big problem with my Aprilia Sportcity Scooter 250 ccm.
    At a speed of about 60-80 km/h the handlebar starts to beat/vibrate if I don't hold it.
    In the meantime I have carried out the following repairs.
    1. steering head bearing replaced, even for the second time (currently no original bearing)
    2.rubber pads at the engine suspension renewed
    3. For wheels, have them balanced.
    Unfortunately, so far everything without success. Any of you have any advice
    Thanks in advance
    Markus
    you didnt state what kind of tires? and pressure?

Nothing works as well as the Michelin. Everything else = junk.