Thread: Decat or not to decat

apriliaforum prov-nov roofis303's Avatar

Decat or not to decat

Ok guys . Do u notice much difference in the bike after getting the decat . Is it worth it really options please before I go down the road of decating the bike
    thanks

apriliaforum expert brandonmccann's Avatar
    In terms of sound?

Definitely.

Performance? I think you're going to see a negligible gain unless you also do the exhaust.

Might be more worthwhile to just cut the cat part out of your pipe and turn it into a straight pipe. Should save some money.

Hopefully someone with a stock setup + decat can chime in on here to give you a more specific outcome.

You "should" get less heat from the decat, but personally I've noticed more heat though my bike runs wayyyy too lean so that's a given.

sidenote: Lean on my bike is from airbox mods, DNA filter, AND full exhaust system. You should be fine with just a decat or a decat + exhaust I believe.
    -----------------------------------------
    *WTB* - Bazzaz Z-fi tc kit, Healtech quickshifter, GLpro X gear indicator, aftermarket shock or fork cartridges, HLD Large Rear Fender, Carbon tank & ignition panels; For 2009 Shiver.
    **For SALE** - Brake and Clutch Master Cylinders W/ Mad Hornet adjustable levers, Motocorsaro O2 Optimiser, OEM mirrors and stock exhaust; From a 2009 Shiver.

2009 Aprilia Shiver; Apex Clipons, 520 45T, Motocorsaro o2 Optimiser, DNA filter and snorkel removal, Accosatto clutch & brake masters, Mussan MPdemon header & decat link pipe, Skidmarx Bellypan, HLD seat cowl, Sport Screen, CRG Arrows, LED retrofit(Opt7, Zevo, Watsen), R&G Tidy, Rosmoto Rearsets, T-Rex Sliders.

apriliaforum expert High Country's Avatar
    I agree. I think the lean condition comes from changing all 3 items: decat, exhaust, and intake filter. There are some rather involved tuning options to fix that though. I chose to keep the cat because of that, as well as a couple of other reasons.

First, I got the sound I wanted from the slip-ons (and I also have the DNA air filter). I have heard sound clips from decat+exhaust, and think it sounds too raspy with both. Changing out the muffler achieves a large weight savings, and a nice clean bass note.

Second, I live in California, and think it is a possibility my state will require emission equipment inspections on bikes soon, at least in some counties. I don't want to drive off buyers from San Francisco or L.A. some day because the bike won't pass muster in their areas...not that I'm planning to sell anytime soon. I love this bike.
    2009 Aprilia Dosoduro 750 (Adventurized: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/a...893274&thumb=1)