Thread: Fair used price for '09 Scarabeo 200?

apriliaforum newb

Fair used price for '09 Scarabeo 200?

It's only got 500 miles, but it is from 2009, so it's quite old. Seller is asking $2,800, which seems a bit high... thoughts?

It's the curse of too few miles for it's age. Unless is was kept/stored in ideal conditions and proper maintenance done regardless of the miles, it will need work. Since the Beo 200 was made/assembled in China they do not hold value like some other Piaggio scoots. I would not pay more than $1500 if it runs and rides well and proof of fluid changes and proper storage are provided.

Sp56

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks! It says it was garage-kept and on the pictures it looks brand new. But yeah, I'm a little worried about maintenance. I've read somewhere these are expensive to maintain (don't know if it's true) and since they don't seem to be sold in the US anymore I'd probably be on my own. Which is fine, but I don't want to have issues finding parts for example...

I don't think parts would be an issue. The host for this forum is my source for parts since my '08 was new and I've yet to have a problem. As far as maintenance cost - I don't think the 200 is any more costly than comparable scoots. I have about 13k miles on mine and drive it very little since buying a motorcycle but still ride and maintain fluids and tires etc.
    Do you have a ride now and what are your riding expectations?

apriliaforum newb
    My current ride is a Saab, I just got my motorcycle license to get a scooter to commute to work to give the Saab a break :-), it just reached 150,000 miles... So I just want something economical to go to work, but also fun at the same time. TBH though I'm not too keen on a carb, I remember how much of a bitch it was when I was young and my parents were trying to start the car on cold mornings. I have a garage but...

Carbs are not an issue. FI has it's problems too. Getting back to maintenance, if you can't do or learn to do much of the basic tasks then yes, it can be expensive to depend on a dealer or private mech.
    If you have any plans to get out of the city, I think, you need at least a 250cc to manage speed, hills, load etc.. I've had my 200 since new and soon realized it wasn't quite enough so I bought a 650cc motorcycle for longer faster rides. I would keep looking. How about a Honda NC750 with a DCT trans?

apriliaforum newb
    I've got no intention of getting out of the city with it :-). I am handy with maintenance though so I guess that should not be a problem at all...

I find my Beo generally easy to work on. Most basic engine maintenance including valve clearance check can be done with just the engine cover off. The transmission is likewise easy to access and covers are easy to remove. I'm not looking forward to things like replacing rad hoses and such that will require major plastic removal.
    What about a Honda Grom 125, or similar Kawasaki? Easier to work on that a scooter and IMHO more fun with a standard trans. Anyway good luck and safe riding.

apriliaforum newb
    Valve clearance check? Is that typical maintenance for a scooter? Oh well, can't be more of a pain in the a.. than replacing the valve cover gasket on a car engine... :-P The biggest PITA working on a car is dealing with tight spaces IMO so a scooter should be a pleasure by comparison.

I'm still not super keen on the carb. I know what you said but still I feel like electronic ignition is more reliable and manages gas mileage better, no? I also like the idea of an air-cooled engine better, just because this way you don't have to deal with a radiator... and rad hoses. ;-P

If I was going the motorcycle route I think I'd try to find a used Suzuki TU250, but for some reason these are kind of hard to find... safe riding to you too!

Yeah, valve clearance is a regular maintenance item on most bikes/scoots. On mine checking is the easy part, changing values involves taking cams out. Mine were OK at 20k kms (recommended check) and it's unlikely I'll seen another 20k on it.
    Check out Janus motorcycles, made in Indiana (Chinese sourced 250cc motor). Very cool. Suzuki also has an aircooled Van Van 200 and Yamaha has a similar TW200.

apriliaforum newb
    Interesting. So you have to do that on Piaggios too? The valve clearance check?

I used to have a moped a long time ago (Peugeot 103, 2 stroke engine though). For like almost 8 years. Never did any maintenance on it! :-D Then again I was young, I had no idea...

2-stroke is a different animal, simpler. Harleys, big Indian bikes and some Jpn V-twins have hydraulic valve lifters but the rest are adjusted in different ways and at varying intervals. The intervals are getting longer tho for most engines it seems. On scoots some have easier screw/locknut adjusters, and others like the Beo have shim tappets, others just shims under or over tappet buckets.
    Yeah, I had several bikes in my younger years as well and for the most part, rode them hard and lived to tell about it, Ha! If you keep something long enough sooner or later something needs work.

I bought my 09 for $2500. new old stock..... in 2012.....It's been a good scoot, after a few of the bugs were worked out......Also, it came with a year warranty....
    I would be thinking, it would be worth $1500.....
    2009 Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    2005 70cc Typhoon
    1963 Vespa GL
    http://www.grscooterclub.com/