Thread: Sayin' hey

apriliaforum newb

Cool Sayin' hey

New Aprilia owner just wandering by to say hello and looking for general wisdom & insight.
    First scooter was an 198? (4 or 5) something like that Honda 150 with the fancy headlight that popped up (on occasion).
    In '09 I bought a new Burgman 400, sold it a couple years later and missed it.
    So I bought an '07 Yamaha Majesty.
    Sold it a couple of months ago and missed it.
    So last night I picked up an '09 SportCity 250 with less than 700 miles on it.
    First ride into work this morning was fun with the exception of running through some old gas...the scoot, not me.

James "BigScoot" in Deep South Texas

Welcome. There are a lot of SC250 owners with a whole lot of insight on you new ride here.
    Safe riding.

Sp56

apriliaforum expert
    Just make sure the free fuel pump technical service has been performed on it and bring the oil changes, coolant and brake flushes up to date. Flushes need to be done every 2 years regardless of mileage so a 2009 will be ready for its fifth coolant and brake flush in 2019.

Keeping the CVT filter in place and clean will promote long belt and roller life. I clean it every 3,000 miles and more often if I ride dusty back roads.

Be sure to grease the needle bearings the clutch idles on every time you remove the clutch and be certain to use 4T Synthetic Motorcycle Engine Oil and you will likely see 50,000 to 100,000 miles with little trouble. Original clutch should be good for 50,000 plus miles too. The original belt and rollers should be changed on principle due to their age. You really do not want to shred the belt as it can take out the timing cover seal which requires a special tool to align properly and press in since you have to remove and re-index the entire timing cover to get the job done. Usually when you remove the timing cover it is history and the new ones due to this fact have the crankshaft seal integral with them.

Before starting be sure to let the ECU and Dash Computer come on-line along with the fuel pump up to pressure. On the first start of the day I like to turn the ignition on letting it boot, turn it back off for a moment and then back on again to ensure that the fuel pressure regulator is free. Ethanol appears to make it fussy and may cause a backfire through the air filter blowing a hole in it so this little ritual will prevent that. If you get a backfire you really need to check the air filter as you do not want to injest any part of it.

On a used bike that's been sitting you would be wise to get a few new air filters from AF1 to ensure you always have a good one.

The original tires on the Sport City were Maxis or Sava and you really do not want to run on them for over 2 years as they tend to get hard and can slide out or blow out on you with no advanced warning once they are over 2 years old regardless of how much tread is left on them. The Michelin Pure Power work out quite well as replacements. Front tire is the same size as on the Burgman and Majesty.

Luggage rack on the 2009 has the Givi mount built into it and only requires a very inexpensive hook kit to install a top case on the bike without needing a $100 mounting plate.

The Buzetti tools carried by AF1 are much more economical than the Piaggio versions and will ensure that the variator and clutch are removed without damage and properly torqued when re-installed.

apriliaforum newb
    Thank you Southpaw56. I'm counting on it.

apriliaforum newb
    Great info Rockynv! I may follow up with a Q or 2.

I'm sure there is a sight that may tell me if the fuel pump service was done? Was this a recall?

When I look at belt & rollers, is there a roller weight/brand that will offer a bump in performance or should I keep it fairly stock?
    While I'm there, is there another aftermarket upgrade that would be benficial...variater, clutch etc..?

I am seeing wildly optimistic speedo readings. 40 on the speedo seems to be about 33 actual mph. Is there a tire size adjustment
    that could help with this? or another solution?

Thanks!

Not to step on Rocky's toes, but the SC is already in oem config a high performance scoot. I think you'd be wasting your money trying to squeeze more out of it. A bigger scoot is the best solution for more giddyup.
    The speedo's are typically optimistic. I checked mine with my Gps and it was about 10% high up to the 100kph/62mph that I typically ride. I just add 10% or so to stay legal.

Sp56

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks Sp56.
    I personally am not looking for more...Sold my Yamaha Majesty a few months ago and I have an VStar 1300 so I have and have had plenty.
    I was just hoping to pick some very wise brains.
    If I'm going to change some of these things maybe the forum has landed on the Sweet Spot even if it is only a minor change or no change at all.
    I hope that makes sense. I didn't want to spend $20 for 14 gram rollers and find out tomorrow...Oh dude, 13.5 is where it's at!
    I've had several scoots and 10% optimistic is fairly common.
    However, I'm seeing more like 20% and I don't have enough fingers and toes to count that high.
    I agree with your assessment. I only have 100 miles on the scoot and am very impressed...for the record Majestys also ROCK!

apriliaforum expert
    Stock rollers should be fine for the average Joe. When fine tuning it depends on the riders stature and weight so what may be fine for me may not work very well for you. Many will find adding a Puig Sport Fairing gives a greater increase in overall performance than dumping hundreds into exotic CVT enhancements. Sliders in the stock weight work out well however you have to take measures to ensure that the sliders do not run the belt out so far that the ribbing on the back of the belt pulls the seal out of the oil sump on you. All said with the Puig and sliders in the stock weight you are looking at a true 95 mph top speed on level ground per GPS.

Watch out though on the variator guides as there are two different types out there with one set being for the TGB variator Piaggio was using.