Thread: Paggio is killing Aprilia

Paggio is killing Aprilia

Found this article dated about 6 months.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/analy...icheal-uhlarik

apriliaforum Junkie
    Interesting read. I wonder about the whole motobike industry and whether it is sustainable today. When I grew up motorbikes were a cheap way of getting around as well as a vehicle for racing. In the west at least they have become luxury items, relatively expensive and with the amount of traffic nowadays probably more dangerous. It must be difficult for any manufacturer to stay ahead in this market. The Japanese do it but their companies make other things as well, and they have the asian market for small bikes; the European companies are boutique in comparison.

Cheers

On the Englandshire side of the Welsh Border
    Old news really.

Aprilia can't continue on their existing path for long.
    They've either got to get the customer facing part of their business right...or fold.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    As much fun bikes are, they are a luxury. Until there is a huge shift in how people think, motorcycles will not be popular. There is a ladder(Walk -> Bicycle -> Motorcycle -> Car), and very few are willing to move downwards unless it is crippling expensive. Asked my wife, and she would not drive a motorcycle to work, almost no matter the cost. Not even during summer. It just goes to show how set in their ways people are. We are willing to work more, so we can drive nicer cars and eat better food where we work, rather than work less and drive eco-friendly and still end up with the same amount of money.

I donīt think we can blame motorcycle manufacturers for the falling sales, we are just intensely lazy and unwilling to change unless there is something forcing us to do so.

apriliaforum newb
    Actually, here in Chile motorcycles are getting very popular. Traffic jams are everywhere and the public transportation sucks big time, so more people are looking to motorcycles as a way to go to work. I can see the sales of motorcycles growing at a faster rate than cars in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by OJKD View Post
    As much fun bikes are, they are a luxury. Until there is a huge shift in how people think, motorcycles will not be popular. There is a ladder(Walk -> Bicycle -> Motorcycle -> Car), and very few are willing to move downwards unless it is crippling expensive. Asked my wife, and she would not drive a motorcycle to work, almost no matter the cost. Not even during summer. It just goes to show how set in their ways people are. We are willing to work more, so we can drive nicer cars and eat better food where we work, rather than work less and drive eco-friendly and still end up with the same amount of money.

I donīt think we can blame motorcycle manufacturers for the falling sales, we are just intensely lazy and unwilling to change unless there is something forcing us to do so.

New interview with VP Piaggio Group. Unfortunately for most readers here it's in Italian.

https://www.dueruote.it/notizie/attu...ilia-e-piaggio

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by SudEst View Post
    New interview with VP Piaggio Group. Unfortunately for most readers here it's in Italian.

https://www.dueruote.it/notizie/attu...ilia-e-piaggio
    Very interesting. He expresses enthusiasm for relaunching Aprilia to fill in the big product gaps, mentioning the probability of something like a 400cc entry-level offering and 600cc versions of RSV4 and Tuono. This would mix is up with the Ninja 400/Yamaha R3/Duke 390 and then the Suzuki GSX-R600, Yamaha R6, & MT-07 while offering characteristically Aprilia flair to otherwise Japanese-dominated segments.

apriliaforum Member RoughneckNJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
    Very interesting. He expresses enthusiasm for relaunching Aprilia to fill in the big product gaps, mentioning the probability of something like a 400cc entry-level offering and 600cc versions of RSV4 and Tuono. This would mix is up with the Ninja 400/Yamaha R3/Duke 390 and then the Suzuki GSX-R600, Yamaha R6, & MT-07 while offering characteristically Aprilia flair to otherwise Japanese-dominated segments.
    That would be huge. I'd love to see an Aprilia in WorldSSP.

Quote Originally Posted by RoughneckNJ View Post
    That would be huge. I'd love to see an Aprilia in WorldSSP.
    Agreed. Didn't they pretty much dominate during the 125 & 250 days? Seems like it could be a good fit and boost their product line and sales.
    2017 RSV4 RF
    2010 RSV4 Factory
    2014 Beta 520 RS

OMRRA #99
    Sponsored by:
    HSBK Racing
    Cox Racingroup
    Clutch Doctors

apriliaforum expert oldbluechair09's Avatar
    I would definitely sign up for an RSV4 type middleweight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC Matte Black
    2013 Triumph Daytona 675R

apriliaforum Junkie
    It's exciting to see talk of new modular engines and chassis platforms. The first of which will be on the roads in 2019, so that means we'll see it before the end of the year. I wonder if that will be the "600" twin.

I was thinking you could get quite silly with it all, offer singles, twins, V3s and V4s - all from the same basic architecture.

It's good to see they are addressing some of the customer facing issues, namely: spares availability, dealer expertise and access to accessories.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK