Thread: Dash dies when I press starter

apriliaforum prov-nov FuturaWales's Avatar

Dash dies when I press starter

Finally managed to get a set of working coils in the bike, but in doing so left the bike sit in the shed for 3 months. Battery was trickle charged and should be ok but you never know.

When I go to start it, I get the fuel pump priming and the usual noises, dash lights up and it all seems ready to go.

Press the starter, and I get a click and everything dies. All lights go off and the bike is effectively dead. Turn ignition off and on again nothing.

Wait 30 secs, then turn it on again and we're back to the beginning. Lights and pump, but no start.

As it's been sat up, I can only assume that the grounds have corroded? Is it just a case of taking them off, cleaning them up and reattaching?

Could it be the Battery? I'm getting solid numbers from the multimeter, and it has been trickle charged the whole time it was off the road.

Similarly, I was able to get it started last week, but only when I left the bike battery charger connected. It's hardly delivering any power really, so I can't imagine it's acting like a jumper, but may be it was just boosting the voltage enough to bridge a bad earth?

Thanks in advance!
    I just want to get back on it asap and get riding!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    2002 Flame red RST1000 Futura
    StainTunes Exhaust
    Wilbers Rear Shock (high/low rebound and preload adjustable)
    Brown plug removed - 13.9v currently
    05 map (staintunes with baffles)
    DIN/Hella 12v power outlet
    X-grip phone holder with built in charger

Most likely a bad battery.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

Quote Originally Posted by deefred View Post
    Most likely a bad battery.
    I thought that initially,
    But the static voltage readings are good and when it does catch, it cranks the engine over fine.

When I connect the oximiser trickle charger, the indicator says the Battery is in good condition.

Never the less. I'll check the grounds/earths if I can get to them. And if not, it's new battery time.

I am no longer able to count on my hands the number of times I've had these panels off and on again. I'm a dab hand at dismantling it now haha.

StainTunes Exhaust

As you have to wait 30 seconds it points to the battery which is "recovering". Static voltage and charger indication are poor to diagnose a bad battery. Measure the battery voltage during start instead. I bet it goes deep down. They usually say not less than 10.5 V during cranking else replace battery..
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

As you have to wait 30 seconds it points to the battery which is "recovering". Static voltage and charger indication are poor to diagnose a bad battery. Measure the battery voltage during start instead. I bet it goes deep down. They usually say not less than 10.5 V during cranking else replace battery..
    Ok, thanks deefred
    That's a nice measurement for me to take and a simple diagnosis hopefully.

StainTunes Exhaust

So i decided to try and revive the battery again on the oximiser600.
    It charged up to 13.7v or thereabouts, then i fitted to the bike and turned ignition on and it settled ot about 12.7/12.8v as before.
    But this time when I cranked it, it only dropped to 10.5v and started the engine no problems.

The issue might have been a poor connection at the battery terminals, as this time i had taken the battery out of the bike and charged it on the bench in my shed.
    So when i put it back in, i might have made better connections. Either way, I've run it to work today, and turned it off and restarted it about 5 times, and it's still starting fine.
    Charging voltage is 14v, which is down to my reg/rec cable mods etc.

So hopefully it'll keep working fine now.
    StainTunes Exhaust

Good for you. Only explanation I have is that the battery connection got hot which increased the resistance further. 30 seconds waiting time was enough for it to cool down.
    Wire brush the terminals and cover after installation with battery terminal grease.

Good for you. Only explanation I have is that the battery connection got hot which increased the resistance further. 30 seconds waiting time was enough for it to cool down.
    Wire brush the terminals and cover after installation with battery terminal grease.
    Will do. Thanks again

StainTunes Exhaust