Thread: Soft front brake lever

Soft front brake lever

I've always felt that the brake lever was a bit spongy and I asked the tech at Aprilia to bleed the systen some time ago. He did and said that he "may" have seen some air come out. Afterwards I was not able to feel any improvement.
    A few days ago I took the callipers off the forks and removed the pads so I could clean the pistons. Once they were cleaned I pushed all 4 pistons fully into the first calliper to cycle them a few times. While doing that the first time I looked at the reservoir just to check that it didn't overflow and saw some air coming up through the reservoir. Did the same to the other calliper and saw no air come back up. Now the lever is much firmer and feels as it "should".
    So maybe this could be a simple way to get that last bit of "evasive" air out of the system for others as well?
    1100 Factory

apriliaforum newb
    It sounds like the dealer tech didn't fully or correctly bleed the system as you requested. A single air bubble is all it takes for the brakes to feel spongy.

Brakes are typically filled at the factory via a vacuum system. The aftermarket sometimes uses a pressure bleeder (e.g. Motive brand) with excellent success. Gravity bleeding is the slowest, but in your case it sounds like it worked once you gave the bubble a path to rise to the reservoir. Chances are if you bled the caliper with the traditional "pump, hold, and bleed" method, the air bubble would've come out of the bleeder nipple on the caliper.

Common sense is a myth

Did you bleed the master cylinder itself?

Before I bought my bike, the previous owner bled the brakes with fresh fluid. After I got the bike, the front brake lever was also a bit spongy. I bled the master cylinder and it was perfect afterwards.
    In no way affiliated to that helmet company by the same name....

Current - 2013 Tuono V4 APRC

Might your Tuono Factory be one that's affected by the Brembo master cylinder recall?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo J View Post
    Might your Tuono Factory be one that's affected by the Brembo master cylinder recall?
    The recall is not affecting my m/c.
    1100 Factory

satanic, thanks for the vid. What the "hell"is he actually doing? Do you think this would work on a sport bike with a much bigger/stiffer caliper? Have you ever tried doing this?

apriliaforum newb
    Is there any way to make the lever feel like a rsv4? I thought the braking systems were the same, but the RSV4 is much firmer initially.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovheros View Post
    satanic, thanks for the vid. What the "hell"is he actually doing? Do you think this would work on a sport bike with a much bigger/stiffer caliper? Have you ever tried doing this?
    That looks to me that he was applying pressure with his knee to a single piston floating caliper.
    Won't work with your knee on a monoblock 4 piston caliper.
    The same result can had by removing 1 caliper at a time & forcing pads apart to push pistons back in their cylinders, once the MC is full then you have to stop.
    Last edited by plocky; 01-04-2018 at 11:25 PM.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum Member
    My mechanic did the same thing to my brakes as you describe, and mine also got noticeably better.

2015 1100RR.

Sendt fra min G8141 med Tapatalk

The tech that bleed my brake system has a very good reputation. I fact a lot of people trailer their bikes there (a 3 1/2 hour drive one way) rather than just ride to the one in our city. I have a powerbleeder and do most of the maintenance on my cars and bikes myself but never if they are under warranty. I just thought it could be of some interest to others that pushing back the pistons can sometimes be enough to get the air out of the system
    1100 Factory