Thread: New member here (and new Tuono BE owner)! Need some help with setting sag on Ohlins.

apriliaforum newb

New member here (and new Tuono BE owner)! Need some help with setting sag on Ohlins.

Greetings and happy NY. I picked up a Tuono V4 just before the end of the year and it's a pretty sweet ride. The previous owners did a bunch of work on it and it sounds awesome. The only thing I need to do at the moment is to set the sag for my weight (as well as rebound and compression). I watched a few videos and can conceptualize the ideas. However, I just can't seem to find actual hands-on video on how to adjusting the Ohlins. Hope the veterans on the forum can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for the help!

The top of the forks have these faucet looking knobs. The bottom has additional blue nuts.

I will post pictures soon. For some reason, I can't upload from the phone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180102_212530.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	272.9 KB 
ID:	349077  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180102_212555.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	301.2 KB 
ID:	349078  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180102_212639.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	353.4 KB 
ID:	349079  

Last edited by Winskibob; 01-03-2018 at 07:46 PM.

There are some very good folks on here that know exactly what they're doing but consider Dave Moss. He charges very little for a one on one tuning experience and is most easily contacted on FaceBook. He'll talk you through it over the phone or Skype or whatever and give you exactly what you need for you and your bike. Here's his YouTube page and a ton of videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYm...-UeV7U10_48rqw
    2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR - The dream bike
    2016 Honda CBR500R - The wife's bike
    2015 Honda Stateline VT1300 - The family truckster

Winks,

The preload for the fork adjusted by the large 17mm nut (or whatever size) on top of the fork. The nut usually houses an additional adjuster, a small allen adjuster, which is for rebound on most Ohlins forks.. If you want more sag, you turn the nut counterclockwise. If you want less, clockwise. (Tightening vs loosening the spring).

The blue nut and device at the bottom of the fork is for compression. The adjuster is the small allen in the top of the anodized blue nut. Don't turn the nut itself.

The preloas for the shock is asjusted by spinning that notched collar at the top of the shock. There are two. The top one (closest to the frame) is simply a locknut. You turn that counter clockwise to loosen it. Then the notched collar below it that it was pushed against, you adjust. Counterclockwise for more sag, clockwise for less. Again, tightening (shortening) the spring or loosening (expanding) the spring.

The small black knob on top side of the shock is for compression. Hard or soft. The big notched black round nut on the very very bottom of the shock is for rebound.

apriliaforum newb
    Thank you Sam Iam, I'll give him a try!

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Iam View Post
    There are some very good folks on here that know exactly what they're doing but consider Dave Moss. He charges very little for a one on one tuning experience and is most easily contacted on FaceBook. He'll talk you through it over the phone or Skype or whatever and give you exactly what you need for you and your bike. Here's his YouTube page and a ton of videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYm...-UeV7U10_48rqw

Thank you Sam Iam, I'll give him a try!

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by antarius View Post
    Winks,

The preload for the fork adjusted by the large 17mm nut (or whatever size) on top of the fork. The nut usually houses an additional adjuster, a small allen adjuster, which is for rebound on most Ohlins forks.. If you want more sag, you turn the nut counterclockwise. If you want less, clockwise. (Tightening vs loosening the spring).

The blue nut and device at the bottom of the fork is for compression. The adjuster is the small allen in the top of the anodized blue nut. Don't turn the nut itself.

The preloas for the shock is asjusted by spinning that notched collar at the top of the shock. There are two. The top one (closest to the frame) is simply a locknut. You turn that counter clockwise to loosen it. Then the notched collar below it that it was pushed against, you adjust. Counterclockwise for more sag, clockwise for less. Again, tightening (shortening) the spring or loosening (expanding) the spring.

The small black knob on top side of the shock is for compression. Hard or soft. The big notched black round nut on the very very bottom of the shock is for rebound.
    Thanks Antarius, I'll give that a go and if I can't get it done, I'll give Dave Moss a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Winskibob View Post
    Thanks Antarius, I'll give that a go and if I can't get it done, I'll give Dave Moss a call.
    The big blue adjusters on the top are what you use to adjust the preload on the fork, not a 17mm wrench. The prior owner added those which let you do it by hand rather than with a tool.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by antarius View Post
    The big blue adjusters on the top are what you use to adjust the preload on the fork, not a 17mm wrench. The prior owner added those which let you do it by hand rather than with a tool.
    I consider myself to have good hand strength, but them blue adjusters are pretty hard to turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Winskibob View Post
    I consider myself to have good hand strength, but them blue adjusters are pretty hard to turn.
    Yeah, they will be. I don't use them, I just prefer to take them off and use a 17mm wrench.