Thread: Rear Guard Options?

apriliaforum newb

Rear Guard Options?

Could this be the ugliest OEM rear guard required by registration authorities?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tuono OEM rear guard (2).jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	505.1 KB 
ID:	348941
    Australia requires rear guards to extend down to the 45deg line up from the rear axle. This results in some ugly local solutions by importers.
    As I'm not into small tail tidies as they can attract unwanted attention and also because our roads as so bad, I welcome the panel protection offered by a good guard.

Anyone got a good solution?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip4now View Post
    Could this be the ugliest OEM rear guard required by registration authorities?

Name:	Tuono OEM rear guard (2).jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	505.1 KB 
ID:	348941
    Australia requires rear guards to extend down to the 45deg line up from the rear axle. This results in some ugly local solutions by importers.
    As I'm not into small tail tidies as they can attract unwanted attention and also because our roads as so bad, I welcome the panel protection offered by a good guard.

Anyone got a good solution?
    Is that the 2017 model? I have a 2016, it's not that big, also the rules have changed recently, so that reg you quoted is probably not applicable anymore, it could be just Victoria though, so do some checking with your states road authority.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks Pilgrim. Should be safe for the WSBK at the Island.
    https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safe...d-requirements

I think that's great that the Australian government takes seriously the amount of splatter you get on you back while riding in the rain.

I guess you could say it'll keep your tail light a little more visible in wet conditions.
    Currently in my garage
    --------------------------
    '15 Ducati Panigale 1299S
    '15 Ducati Multistrada S (White)
    '12 Aprilia Tuono APRC (Yellow)
    '98 Yamaha R1
    '93 Bimota Db2
    '75 Honda CB400F

My Sons bikes
    '07 Ducati 1098S
    '08 KTM 250 XCW
    '05 Honda 650XR

apriliaforum newb
    New rules about mudguards, no need for the full coverage anymore. Take off the extension at the bottom it’ll look better. If you’re not a fan of the small tail tidy I’d guess that would be all you need to change.

VicPol are ruthless during bike trips on the way to the Island, however I’ve only ever run into problems during GP week. WSBK goes relatively untouched by the Police.

Honestly just change your bike the way you want to, the odds of getting a fine are so small it’s not worth having a crap looking mudguard.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by PilgriM View Post
    Is that the 2017 model? ..............
    Sorry, missed that. Yes, it's the 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Benrr View Post
    New rules about mudguards, no need for the full coverage anymore. Take off the extension at the bottom itíll look better. If youíre not a fan of the small tail tidy Iíd guess that would be all you need to change.

VicPol are ruthless during bike trips on the way to the Island, however Iíve only ever run into problems during GP week. WSBK goes relatively untouched by the Police.

Honestly just change your bike the way you want to, the odds of getting a fine are so small itís not worth having a crap looking mudguard.
    NSW looks like they are using the old "45 degree" diagrams with a requirement that the guard extend to a point vertically above the back of the tyre.

Name:	NSW Regs.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	349014
    ACT and Vic clearly state the ADR no longer requires that and makes reference to the bodywork also performing the function.
    And mine ...

Name:	tuono rear guard.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	494.2 KB 
ID:	349015
    Maybe it's the importers NSW specific solution. Not 1mm past the requirement.