Thread: Considering My Options

apriliaforum prov-nov

Considering My Options

Hello all, I've been creeping around on the forums trying to read up a little bit on some different bikes and I keep coming back to the Falco. What are the overall thoughts on the bike? Where does it fit in the Aprilia lineup exactly? I've got an 96' RS250 and a 04' TuonoR but have been looking at the Falco, Futura, Shiver and the Caponord. I realize they're all different and for different things but I'm thinking the Falco sits between the Tuono and the Futura somehow. I live in the Ozark Mountains so there is a lot of twisty roads, how much difference is there between the Tuono and the Falco? Should I just get a Futura for longer days or the Shiver just to throw around the curves. To many decisions but the bottom line is I've got to get another Aprilia to keep my others company.
    Jason
    1996 RS250
    2004 Tuono 1000R
    1981 Delorean DMC-12

If you like the RS250 you should just get a 01-03 Mille.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Having come to Aprilia after a life-time of Japs, mostly 'blades, here are my thoughts, (for what they are worth).
    I don't know the marketplace in the States, but here in the UK mention the Falco and you will usually draw a blank, not many know about them, let alone ridden or owned one. It was a model in the shadows of the RSV and Tuano, both of which are well regarded, though not exactly setting the sales charts on fire. Buyer reluctance, Italian, reliability, electrics, spares, all trotted out by 'those in the know'. So, you are looking at a niche bike, from a niche manufacturer with little of the bling or reputation of RSV or Tuano. Here, you can pick up a very good condition Falco for half the price of its peers.
    Last year I decided to try something new. The 'blade was sold for far more than it really should have done and a riffle through the 'Bay threw up this Falco. Did a great deal of research, especially on this site, and decided it was a 'what the hell, at that price its worth a try' bid.
    Eight months on and I really can't see why this one is so overlooked! Its a Gen 1, same as all the other Gen 1's. Same basic performance, same tuning options. The only thing it needs is an RSV rear shocker, most have had this done already. It is lower than the mountain high RSV making it easy to foot around, far cheaper than the Tuano, so no need to be precious about it. There are certain mods to do to the charging circuit wiring, exactly the same ones you do to a 'blade(!). Performance is, to put it mildly, quite stunning, especially when you consider the entrance fee. Yes, its an out of balance big V twin, its never going to purr like a four but any shakes that are inherent in the engine design are well damped by the balancers. It handles as if on rails, dropping the forks to mount the bars over the top yoke merely speed up the steering a bit, still a stable and sure footed ride. I, personally, think the Falco stands on its own as a very neat, trim design. Not flashy, just purposeful. What's not to like?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I was looking at the Mille before I got the Tuono and was surprised by the insurance costs. I was 40 then, no tickets, no accidents and prices were outrageous. The Tuono was a fraction of the cost. I'm liking the Falco more and more. How is it on longer rides? I'm 6' 3" 225lb and can handle the Tuono (stock seat) for 5 hours or so before I'm ready to get off it for a while. What kind of mileage do you get with the Falco?
    Jason
    1996 RS250
    2004 Tuono 1000R
    1981 Delorean DMC-12

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I can't give an opinion on comfort for 6 foot plus, what do they feed you Americans! But the Tuano isn't far off the Falco's ergos. I have moved the bars up over the top yoke for a more relaxed riding position, seat and foot peg placement are fine for a full days riding, no aches to report from my 70 YO well used body. I gave up the 'blade because it was starting to give me cramps. As far as mileage, I get a reliable 130 miles to a brimmed tank, pretty fast mixed road riding. As I said before, its a gen 1 Aprilia, its all that the RSV and Tuano is in a slightly less blingy chassis, you will be right at home. BTW, make SURE you have the 15T front sprocket fitted, for such small bucks, its the most impressive improvement you will ever, probably, need to make).

Tu-O-no. Please.

Mr. DeLorean, here is a dream girl that might just have your name on her. https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...437056048.html

If my garage was marginally wider I would have it in there right now. Hell, it really belongs in my living room, the same place my first '03 lived for a bit.

The Falco's the best kept secret in the whole Ape line up. It will do virtually everything that the others do but it just doesn't brag about it.

apriliaforum Member
    I’m in NW Arkansas. You can come take a quick spin on mine (2002 Falco) to see if you like it. Mine’s not for sale though!

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 81delorean View Post
    I was looking at the Mille before I got the Tuono and was surprised by the insurance costs. I was 40 then, no tickets, no accidents and prices were outrageous. The Tuono was a fraction of the cost. I'm liking the Falco more and more. How is it on longer rides? I'm 6' 3" 225lb and can handle the Tuono (stock seat) for 5 hours or so before I'm ready to get off it for a while. What kind of mileage do you get with the Falco?
    I have a Gabro chip, and I get 46 mpg on the interstate, and upper 30s in town. I’ve ridden mine to Birmingham for the Barber Vintage Festival a couple times. It’s surprisingly good as a distance mount. The seat is firm, but supportive in my opinion. My wife doesn’t really like the rear seat - says it’s too hard, and the suspension is too stiff for long hauls.