Thread: Now I know why you guys (USA) don't ride in winter.

Now I know why you guys (USA) don't ride in winter.

Always had a problem being from Australia why the USA contingent didn't ride in winter.
    Well I have being doing a road trip in a Subaru from SLC to British Columbia to Moose Jaw to Fargo, Madison, Chicago, and now stuck in Moline with a blown head gasket and it is cold.
    When I broke down on the I-80 it took an hour to get a tow and it was the coldest I had ever been, riding a motorcycle in this weather you would truly have to be mentally deficient. I have been in -35F in Moose Jaw and here in Illinois it is only 5F and the churches are closed due to the cold.
    I normally ride year round but if I lived here a six month season would do me.
    no matter the brand of bike, the wind is the same.

Sitting on a park bench. Eyeing little girls with bad intent. Channeling Jethro Tull.
    In So Cal we ride all year long. Nice ride today, and tomorrow the traditional New Years day ride for me.
    My Tuono suits me to a "T".
    Thunder!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I'm one of the mental deficient people. I like riding in cold but the coldest I've ever ridden was 19 degrees which I admit isn't super cold but I showed up to my destination with ice on my gloves and helmet. I've also wanted to buy an old enduro/dual sport for a few years now and stud the tires so I can try some ice/snow riding in winter but have't found anything cheap (read: so when I crash it I'm not out a lot of money) enough yet.
    Jason
    1996 RS250
    2004 Tuono 1000R
    1981 Delorean DMC-12

We ride year round in N. Florida. And it does get cold here. Four or five nights of below freezing temps on tap for this week.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

I used to commute to work on the bike rain, shine or cold weather. As long as there was no ice on the ground, I was on the bike. A few years ago I moved out of town a bit to a rural area. It's not really the cold that stops me more than the deer. When it gets cold around here the deer start moving quite a bit and that means that it's time to put the bike up. Riding home from work in the dark on a rural road in the cold is like playing Russian roulette. No thanks!
    Chris
    What kind of bike is that?
    It's an Aprilia!!!
    Who makes them?
    .......... lets go of clutch lever.

I wonder where the deer go when you think it's safe to ride?
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

Quote Originally Posted by kzmille View Post
    I wonder where the deer go when you think it's safe to ride?
    Oh, they're out there, but they aren't near as active and moving in the hotter months. Their forage areas are smaller due to the warm weather vegetation growth. Plus, when I ride home from work it's still daylight. It has still made me think about riding a bunch more since living out here. A guy died last month after hitting a deer on his moto. Last year, one slammed into the side of our Bronco. We saw the thing and slowed down, but it still took an odd right turn and hit us.
    Chris
    What kind of bike is that?
    It's an Aprilia!!!
    Who makes them?
    .......... lets go of clutch lever.

Well today was one of the days where Salt on the roads did nothing to the ice as it was too cold. Bridges were not quite deadly as no one died in the pile ups. My rental AWD with all weather tires is useless you need real M+S tires not the crap rentals have. Give me studs sticking out. Can't wait to get back to relatively warm Utah. Glad I ride most of the time in Australia although that trip I did on a bike to Alaska and Mike said it was warm while I silently froze to death glad he lives in Florida now although I will miss the Salmon etc that his wife served up for dinner as it was the best I ever had. Went to a bar in SLC serving "FRESH" Alaskan fish and I said that I had been in Anchorage eating and the servers comment "Well maybe not that fresh" was a classic.

apriliaforum expert ghostrider71's Avatar
    Welcome to the Midwest, Maurice!

Moline (quad cities) is my childhood hometown. I was just living there 2.5 years ago, and would have hooked you up if I was still there.
    JIMBOBVFR was living there about five years ago as well.

And you're right -- I asked myself on a regular basis WHY am I living HERE!?
    That's why i moved away, TWICE!

Safe travels. Hope you get it all sorted.

gr
    Since it was highly recommended, I put THEGEEK on ignore and the forum IS a much nicer place!!

apriliaforum Member
    I dont understand...i ride all year long here in the warm country of Sweden. The record so far for me and the bike has been -19c...got a bit chilly then i must admit. Yes studded tires is a must when it is constant below 0...which it isnt this winter...global warming im liking alot!
    If your on a long trip surely you have clothes with you for extra layers to wear when it gets cold?

I thought all motorcyclists were weather experts? We rarely get caught out by bad weather cause of our amazing weather predictions

"mcfrost" and mates do this sillyness every year. I am waiting for proper winter with my 8 mm spikes down south....
    Mille Aarrr -02 & KTM 625 SXC -05
    My riding lines are like Hendrix's solos. Unexpected and always different.

I used to ride year round in Colorado. I had only a bike for most of college. I'd bundle up to Michelin man looking levels! I'd hold the top of the motor of my GS1100 to keep my hands warm. I don't miss those days.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Pete

Ghost, the best things so far are the bars like Bent River Brewing, O'Keefes, Beer Stube, going to try Bad Boyz and 1815 next. Still looking for a decent steak though.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MauriceOz View Post
    Ghost, the best things so far are the bars like Bent River Brewing, O'Keefes, Beer Stube, going to try Bad Boyz and 1815 next. Still looking for a decent steak though.
    omg dont remind me, i remember when i was in california 5 years ago or so. I put on 5kgs in 3 weeks by the time i was gonna go home. But luckily for american standards i was still fit. I dont remember where i had a steak it cost me like 50dollars and it was amaaazing.

The best eating places are usually the private restaurants rather than the big chains. Also a good way to combat the cold is to put on some fat for protection