Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did we get here?

How did we get here?

How did we get here?
    After reading this forum for a few months, and noticing the comments from all over the world, I was wondering how we all got to be here in this Aprilia Tuono community.
    Let me tell you my story…
    Growing up in England and being sixteen meant riding something on two wheels (a car licence was available to seventeen year olds). And being absolutely skint (lacking cash), the first thing I found was an old Lambretta LD125 for £5. It had been sitting for many years, but my youthful energy allowed me to transform it into something I could ride and enjoy. I hung around with a bunch of mates who rode everything from a Triton 650 to a Honda 50 … This was 1970.
    I had several different scooters, Lambretta, Vespa and even a BSA 250! But eventually motorcycles (?) gave way to four wheeled necessity. Fast forward to 1999 and two friends talking about bikes. I was now living in Canada having moved here in 1978. I was single again and looking for the freedom of the open road etc
    The first bike I found was a Kawasaki 650 CSR (stepped seat and high bars). I installed lower bars and a windshield and rode it till it said “no more”, and I exchanged it for a Honda VF750F, a beautiful little bike that I enjoyed a lot. Then I moved to Calgary … along came a GSXR 750 in the right colour scheme, blue and white. Loved it and rode it to BC where the roads are fantastic. But the Gixxer was a little cramped. I had always liked the Kawasaki ZRX (in green, of course), so I bought one with the money I had made off the Suzuki (I had rebuilt the gearbox that liked to slip out of gear).
    My 2002 ZRX1200 became the bike I would “keep forever”, and I have been riding it for 14 years. Regular rides through the Kootenays and Okanagan, BC have been what I live for… And then, last year I started to hear about the Aprilia Tuono. There were magazine article, Youtube videos and a visit to Blackfoot Motorsports where the real thing lurked! I had to have one, and eventually my wife agreed…. I found a brand new 2016 in blue, and persuaded the owner to let me have it for a song, and he threw in a set of Pazzo levers (still in the box). He would not let me test ride the bike (it was delivered to his house with 2 km on the clock). I rode it home the last week of July and the smile has not left my face.
    That’s how I got here

I went fishing with my father back when I was about 10 and as we were worm-hunting we came upon an abandoned and desperately sad looking Honda Z50 in the woods. He threw it in the car and told me if I could get it running I could keep it. Crappy little bike that never quite recovered from its injuries but I learned a lot and learned to love motored-cycling, even if it was only 1.5HP. A Kawasaki G5 soon followed and after that I began racing a 1980 RM125 motocrosser. Serious family shit happened and I had to give up the RM, even as a close friend was given a then-new Interceptor 500 I drooled over. Then I left home, went to school, lived in small hovels and eked out an existence until I could get on my feet, save some money, move to several new places etc. Met my wife ca. 1995, we married in 2000 and bought a home. Did the job/domestic thing until 2013 when I had a pretty serious rupture of my appendix that required a 2 week hospital stay as I fought off sepsis etc. That was an eye opener for me and brought on something of a midlife crisis. I decided that things were pretty good financially etc and so I ended up getting my license and bought a new CBR500R. Had that for about a month before I traded it on a Yamaha FZS800. Then I spotted a Tuono Factory and knew I had to have it. I spent a year saving and dreaming and in May of 2017 last year picked up my baby. I put about 7500kms on it before i put it away for the winter in October.

Every millisecond of this winter is dragging, and just to be super-mean we're seeing record cold here in Canada. Still, I'm warmed thinking of riding the T again in just a few months

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfin View Post
    I went fishing with my father back when I was about 10 and as we were worm-hunting we came upon an abandoned and desperately sad looking Honda Z50 in the woods. He threw it in the car and told me if I could get it running I could keep it. Crappy little bike that never quite recovered from its injuries but I learned a lot and learned to love motored-cycling, even if it was only 1.5HP. A Kawasaki G5 soon followed and after that I began racing a 1980 RM125 motocrosser. Serious family shit happened and I had to give up the RM, even as a close friend was given a then-new Interceptor 500 I drooled over. Then I left home, went to school, lived in small hovels and eked out an existence until I could get on my feet, save some money, move to several new places etc. Met my wife ca. 1995, we married in 2000 and bought a home. Did the job/domestic thing until 2013 when I had a pretty serious rupture of my appendix that required a 2 week hospital stay as I fought off sepsis etc. That was an eye opener for me and brought on something of a midlife crisis. I decided that things were pretty good financially etc and so I ended up getting my license and bought a new CBR500R. Had that for about a month before I traded it on a Yamaha FZS800. Then I spotted a Tuono Factory and knew I had to have it. I spent a year saving and dreaming and in May of 2017 last year picked up my baby. I put about 7500kms on it before i put it away for the winter in October.

Every millisecond of this winter is dragging, and just to be super-mean we're seeing record cold here in Canada. Still, I'm warmed thinking of riding the T again in just a few months
    I go out to the garage (heated) a couple of times a day to say hi to "Tony" who is leaning up close to "Rex' in the corner .... -30c Today.

Been owning 2 Ducatis...First trip to COTA finally experienced the fucking rich snobs owners. Got blamed for a stolen camera, phone number was passed out to the camera's owner (was supposedly to contact when the next event came so I could be informed), ended up getting a text "If you took it, it's ok you can keep it, just give me back the SD card.") The camera ended up was picked up by another friendly owner, and was returned to the fucksnob. But I was to blame because I was the "other Asian guy," the rich Asian guy was Kaming Ko so of course he was out of the picture of "thief." (if you didn't already know, he's the gentleman who owns Rossi's Ducati GP bike and if I'm not mistaken, also Hayden's bike) I decided to sell the shit and contacted some local cool Aprilia owner (Randy Ranman on here) and pulled the trigger with the brand new '17 TF. Never looked back.
    Current bike(s):

2017 Tuono Factory

2007 CBR600rr trackbike

Past bikes:

2008 Ducati 848

2010 Ducati Streetfighter S

2011 Ducati Streetfighter S

[QUOTE= ..... pulled the trigger with the brand new '17 TF. Never looked back.[/QUOTE]

Well that's a nice ending to the story

Quote Originally Posted by ZedRex1200 View Post
    Well that's a nice ending to the story
    Indeed. I was never a happier owner of my bike. Ape community is much more user/owner friendly.
    Current bike(s):

2017 Tuono Factory

2007 CBR600rr trackbike

Past bikes:

2008 Ducati 848

2010 Ducati Streetfighter S

2011 Ducati Streetfighter S

apriliaforum expert
    Good ol' Ducati folk. I guess it's not a coincidence they're usually the slowest on track LOL!!

I'm a fairly new rider. My father had been riding for years, he had a Yamaha VStar 650. I'm in my 30s and always wanted to get one myself... I finally made the plunge and got a used Ninja 250. After a while on that, I moved up to a Ninja 650. Sadly, my father passed away in May, my step mother a few months before that and my mother a few months before that. I was dealing with a lot, not just the loss of all my parents but the stress of dealing with their estates. I found that riding was the only time I could really think and it always brought a smile to my face, no matter how bad things seemed. Soon I traded the Ninja 650 for the new Ducati Supersport... a bike I absolutely loved but it was missing some things. On a fluke, I happened to be taking the Ducati in for its 600 mile service and down the street was another dealer that sells Aprilia, MV, Triumph, Moto Guzzi and other Euro brands. I decided to stop in while my bike was being serviced and saw the Tuono, I'd never heard of the bike or even Aprilia before. I asked if I could take it for a test ride and from the first twist of the throttle I knew I had to have it, my Ducati seemed flat in comparison. Traded the Ducati for the Tuono in the next week and the rest is history.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Relocated from Europe to the States in 2012. First bike I bought was a Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe (welcome to the US) - went ahead and completely customized it. Rode it for 20k miles until a friend ended up loving it so much that he took it off my hands. Got myself a HD CVO Road King and did my little things to that. Went on a 2.5k mile trip with fiends to NC and TN and rode it like I stole it on the most amazing roads. Frequently swapped bikes with a buddy and fell in love with his Triumph Speed Triple. Upon returning, traded the HD in with 12k miles to get myself a 2015 Speed Triple R. Customized it to my liking and enjoyed another 12k miles on it. Then I test rode the KTM SDR, BMW 1kR and the Tuono and my decision was instant - 2017 Tuono Factory!

When I was around thirteen years old, my friend Rodney and I were given two and a half non-working bikes. From memory they were a BSA and an Excelsior of 1950’s era, with 197cc Villiers two stroke engines. The half bike was various bits and pieces plus a spare Villiers engine. We cannibalised what we had and made up two working scrambler type bikes which we rode on nearby common land. I learnt a lot about off road riding, but mostly I learnt about falling off and surviving.

Just before I was sixteen my Uncle gave me a 1940’s era Excelsior Autobyk autocycle a bit like this one, which I think had a 98cc engine.

Name:  Excelsior.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  27.2 KB

I painted it bright yellow, christened it the “Yellow Peril” and rode it wearing a duffel coat, jeans and wellington boots with the tops turned down; as was the height of fashion then. It was a pretty gutless affair which required a lot of pedal assistance on any hill of greater than a 1 in 1000 gradient. I always remember pedalling up Newlands Corner hill in Surrey and being passed three times with much hilarity by cheering hikers, who were walking on the path beside the road. It didn’t do a lot for my reputation as the cool biker boy of my school class. However I seemed to have more street cred than another school friend, whose father had bought her one of those new fangled 50cc Honda mopeds, which started on the button, rather than having to run alongside it then throw a wellie booted leg over for an ever hopeful, but rarely successful, bump start.

Later on I managed to cobble together a 250 cc Francis Barnett (Fanny B) which raised my game to a new level, despite the ever present wellies. My then girlfriend (now wife) rode pillion with me, and we were true children of the 60’s. Rodney’s Dad bought him a very tasty Husqvarna scrambler, but because he was too young to ride it, I did the piloting with him on the back, until he came of age.

My biking days ended when I was seventeen and I moved on to cars. Rodneys Dad didn’t like us riding Motor bikes so he bought Rodney an Austin A30, which again I piloted until he came of age. Then I bought an Austin A40, rebuilt a 1934 MG PA to near concours condition and flashed around University in a 1960 MGA Coupe, that I had also re-built.

After Uni I had a brief spell in the motor trade, during which time I met a guy called Mike who raced Formula Fords. We became friends and I acted as his mechanic on the UK club circuit. The most notable point of Mike’s career was when he raced against a new upstart from South Africa, who was incredibly quick and we all knew that he would probably go places, if he could only just stay on the track long enough; his name was Jody Scheckter.

My biking days revived briefly when I bought my son a 450cc Yamaha scrambler that his cousin had retired from club competition. Together we used to flash around the farmland which belonged to his friend’s Grandfather and had all been “set aside”, because under the EU that paid better than actually farming it (roll on Brexit!).

Just before I retired and moved here to Malta, I built a Formula27 kit car from paper plans and raw materials. The only “kit” body parts that I bought were the wings and the nose cone.

Name:  DSC00725.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  126.7 KB

Shortly after moving here my daughter wanted to sell her BMW 650CS and use the money to buy a horse. Being an incurable petrol head and the ever helpful Dad, I bought it from her, then my wife and I rode it all the way back from the UK. One thing that I learnt from that adventure was that a 650CS was not the best choice for a two up touring bike. Shortly afterwards I sold the BM and bought a Yamaha FJR1300, which we again rode all the way back from the UK. I kept that bike for around two years and loved every moment, but when my wife announced that she was retiring from biking, I decided that it was just too much machine for one up touring. I sold it to my riding buddy here and bought a Triumph Tiger 1050, which I still have. Over a few years I have made many modifications, turning it from a useful bike into a very capable and quick bike which I never tire of riding and touring on. Most of the stuff that I did to it is documented on the Tiger 1050 forum.

A couple of years ago I bought a fully rebuilt and sorted 1987 Yamaha XJ1200TX as a long term investment punt. However I think that it was not such a wise buy because the handling and brakes are not up to the performance of the engine. I fear that one day I am going to hurt myself badly, because I find it hard not to use the silky power.

I have always had a love affair with Italian bikes for their beauty and design. However in the past their deserved poor reputation for reliability had kept me from ever owning one. But recently there has been an itch growing in me for the Aprilia Tuono, which has been irritated and heightened by every recent flattering review that has been written about the bike. By now you have probably worked out that I am no spring chicken, and I have it on fairly good authority that when the time comes, I won’t be able to take anything with me. So I thought that while I still have the marbles, the health and a bit of dosh, why the heck shouldn't I just well and truly scratch that itch till it goes??

That’s how I got here.
    The Third Law of Human Dynamics: For every opportunity to communicate there is an equal and opposite opportunity to misunderstand

Quote Originally Posted by Donger View Post
    Indeed. I was never a happier owner of my bike. Ape community is much more user/owner friendly.
    Donger, you remind me of a story from a couple years ago. The Aprilia USA guys under the tent at Laguna Seca had an Italian gent making gratis (and good!) espressos for the public. A nice gesture! Meanwhile, across the way on Ducati Island, guys lined up to BUY espressos but for this privilege they had to show specific proofs of ownership and not all of 'em had it on their person. Some Duc feathers were being ruffled!

Way back when...I needed my FZ6 Dyno tuned. Googled Austin Area Dynos, found AF1. Met the team there. Many years and bikes later I still have my 2012 Tuono. It's really old this year...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Pete

apriliaforum Junkie
    Been a big bore Kawi guy for most of my 30+ years riding. Started out with the ZX 11 back in the early 90's. Then had a ZRX 1100 for a few years. After that rode a ZZR 1200 before moving up to the ZX 14 in 2008.

Got an itch for a Ducati in 2009 so bought a 1098 to go along with my ZX 14. Rode the 1098 for a couple of years until i heard that Ducati was doing away with the trellis frame and revamping the engine. Got rid of the 1098 and got an 1198 SP.

I really thought that I'd have the SP forever. That's how much I liked the bike. Unfortunately (or not) I saw the RSV4 RF last December at a show and a fire was lit. My 1198 was due for teh 7500 mile valve job and belt replacement. Was going to be around a grand for the service. Said to hell with it and put that grand toward my Aprilia instead and sold the Ducati.............and here I am.

Got rid of the ZX 14 and replaced it with a BMW K 1300s HP.

That's it in a nutshell.

BTW

Never was accused of being a Ducati snob

apriliaforum Member
    Back in middle school, I had a moped that was my first introduction to motorized 2 wheel vehicles. Then, in 2000, I got my first motorcycle-- an Aprilia RS50. I outgrew that quickly in a matter of weeks. But not before I tried riding it on the highway and seized the engine Then I had it upgraded with a big bore kit, clutch and pipe. Woke it up nicely but still too slow. So I purchased a brand new RS250 street bike which I rode for several years. Loved it. Regretfully i sold it and replaced it with a Ducati 696. Outgrew that and got a Diavel. Then I added a Panigale 899 which I kept for a few months. After sell the 899, I picked up a 2014 RSV4 which I still have. Then I picked up an XDiavel which I kept for a few months. Sold that and replaced it with a KTM 1290 Super Duke (still have it). Then picked up a 2017 Tuono (still have it). Then added a R3 which I used as my track bike. Sold it and replaced i with a fully built KTM RC390. That's who I ended up with 2 Aprilias and 2 KTMs. Unlike all my Ducatis, they tend to be long-term bikes
    In the Garage:
    2018 Panigale V4 S (coming soon!)
    2017 Tuono Factory
    2016 KTM RC390
    2015 KTM 1290 Superduke R
    2014 RSV4 R
    2011 Ferrari 458
    2013 Scion FR-S
    2016 AMG GT S
    2016 Mazda MX5
    2016 Mazda CX5
    2017 Charger Hellcat
    OpenFlash Tablet
    Free Tunes || 3-Touch Programming || Digital Gauge Displays || Datalogging || Handheld Convenience || No Laptop Required

apriliaforum expert
    Got my first taste of riding in 5th grade on a friends Honda Z 50 and lusted after a motorcycle or mini bike for years after that!! My parents were staunchly against it as my mom was an ER nurse and had first hand experience with Motorcycle riders, hehe. Well....flash forward to college and in my second year at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale (Aviation major), me and 3 other friends moved into an apartment. 2 of my roommates had bikes one of which was a 1977 Honda CB 550 Four which I rode a lot, learned on it and got my license. My room mate offered it to me for purchase for 700 dollars as he had just bought a 1983 Honda Interceptor. I jumped on it and never told my parents and left it at school for the summer with one of my room mates. I finally broke it to my parents and at first they were ticked but after I showed responsibility and always wore ATGATT they accepted it. Well thirty something years later I am still an avid rider. After the CB550 came a 1980 KZ650, a new 1990 CBR600 Hurricane, a 1986 Honda nighthawk S (loved this bike!), A 1997 BMW K100 (humongous mistake!!!) and a 2003 FZ1.....had this one a while as it was a fantastic bike!

When I turned 40 I took a break from the street and taught my 10 year old how to ride and we dove into an 8 year stretch of strictly MX riding along with various bikes...CR125, CR250, Service Honda 500AF and finally a YZ250. After 8 years of that, went back to the street and picked up a 2000 VFR800 which I regret selling. Sold that for a 2013 Triumph Tiger 800 and then a 2016 FZ-09 which until I bought the 17 Tuono last July was by far one of the most fun bikes I have ever owned. I dare say I still might like that triple motor better then the V4 but the total Tuono package is insanely amazing! First Italian bike and it was quite a leap. So far so good and I hope it stays that way, lol. I am currently also in the market for a KTM 690 Enduro R (second bike).
    Last edited by CRFan1; 01-04-2018 at 09:07 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast