Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ECU/Exhaust Swap, Bike Wont Start

apriliaforum newb

ECU/Exhaust Swap, Bike Wont Start

Elo

Tuono Factory -17 APRC

Swapped Exhaust and ECU, done the Handle/Throttle Learning in GuzziDiag.

The only "problem" on dash is a service alarm regarding TC, which i cant calibrate in the snow.
    Bike does its start procedure and all lights works, so everything seem in order

But pressing the starter gives the same reaction as to leave the Killswitch at ON, not the case here.

No clicking noise, doesnt even try to spin the engine.

Checked all fuses below the seat.
    Current Tuono 1100 Factory -17
    Virago xv - custom project
    past MV brutale 675 -14

Side stand down?

apriliaforum newb
    Yup, but its in neutral.
    past MV brutale 675 -14

Has the ECU been set up properly by the seller for your bike??
    If AF1 set it up 100% that it is setup & tested correctly for the information you gave them during purchase. Anyone else???
    Is it running the correct map for your bike?
    Is it the correct ECU for your model?

Take you five minutes to reinstall old ECU & test if bike starts, that should confirm whether it is new ECU prob or not.
    Recheck all connections you undid to change over, especially IMU on back of tank.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

Connect GuzziDiag and check for fault errors in particular the active ones.
    '16 Tuono Factory

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Changing the ecu on a 2017 bike is not as straight forward as on a 2015. You need to visit the dealer to use PADS in order to commission the ecu correctly.

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMacgregor View Post
    Changing the ecu on a 2017 bike is not as straight forward as on a 2015. You need to visit the dealer to use PADS in order to commission the ecu correctly.
    Correct, it need to have the units in the ecu set to mph or kph and that must match what the abs unit is programmed to. Has nothing to do with units on the dash. They are not set as sent from Aprilia. We setup the ecus for a diy install, and we set them to mph for USA and Canadian customers unless otherwise noted

apriliaforum newb
    Appreciate it

Gona swap to standard ecu and check first. If race ecu is the problem i Will take it to dealer come spring.

Happy new year
    past MV brutale 675 -14

Quote Originally Posted by Dayvid View Post
    Appreciate it

Gona swap to standard ecu and check first. If race ecu is the problem i Will take it to dealer come spring.

Happy new year
    Using GuzziDiag what is the map code of the ECU you installed?

Quote Originally Posted by plocky View Post
    Has the ECU been set up properly by the seller for your bike??
    If AF1 set it up 100% that it is setup & tested correctly for the information you gave them during purchase. Anyone else???
    Is it running the correct map for your bike?
    Is it the correct ECU for your model?

Take you five minutes to reinstall old ECU & test if bike starts, that should confirm whether it is new ECU prob or not.
    Recheck all connections you undid to change over, especially IMU on back of tank.
    Hi guys, newbie here!!
    Sorry for starting a new thread, but I thought it relevant to the conversation:
    I am also putting a race ecu in my 2012 as I have installed a new exhaust, and was worried that if I had issues, can I simply just swap out the race ecu with the original without having to do the "learning"?
    I have searched the subject but couldn't find any previous conversations. (Hopefully I didn't just have a blokes look!!)

The reason I ask is that I am still waiting for my OBD11 cable and have a track day coming up soon and don't want to be left with a boat anchor!!

Cheers !!
    Whenever I'm feeling down, I just remember there's another 5 up to go!!

2012 Aprilia RSV4-APRC
    2017 Triumph Tiger 800 XCa
    2016 Sherco 300 SE-F Six Days

apriliaforum Junkie Dirk.diggler's Avatar
    No , as the "learning" sets the throttle parameters for the new ecu
    Not sure if the bike will throw a warning if you try to start it without doing the "learning" but i would wait until you have the proper kit to do the job correctly

Quote Originally Posted by AussieRSV4 View Post
    Hi guys, newbie here!!
    I am also putting a race ecu in my 2012 as I have installed a new exhaust, and was worried that if I had issues, can I simply just swap out the race ecu with the original without having to do the "learning"?
    I have searched the subject but couldn't find any previous conversations. (Hopefully I didn't just have a blokes look!!)

The reason I ask is that I am still waiting for my OBD11 cable and have a track day coming up soon and don't want to be left with a boat anchor!!

Cheers !!
    yes the old ECU will just plug in without learning provided it is from that bike unless you change demand sensor also & ...................
    The new ECU will need learning, surely you have a dealer nearby until you get your cables?
    Maybe if you give an approximate location, there maybe someone friendly nearby that lends you the cables. I would, just drop in.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

Quote Originally Posted by AussieRSV4 View Post
    Hi guys, newbie here!!

Cheers !!
    If your ecu is brand new the learning will need to be done, your bike might well start with it (mine did) but will have no response to the throttle.

If the ecu is secondhand then the learning will have already been done on the previous bike and your bike will run, but it wont run correctly as the ecu was 'calibrated' to the previous bikes throttle (twist grip) and engine butterfly's

Thanks everyone. Greatly appreciated.

I am patient and was not going to fit the race ecu without the gear to do the learning, but was more concerned if my cable ended up being a 'fake dud', and once the old ecu was removed could I simply reinstall it without learning. (Which I now know is the case! Thanks)
    The race ecu was set on another bike, but I do understand that the TPS etc might be out.
    I will just run the pipe with the db killer installed so hopefully the fuel mixture won't be too lean while I wait for the cable.

I am located near Warragul in Victoria, so not really close to anyone I would imagine!! Thanks for the offer though!

I have spent the last month or so going through as many relevant posts as I could find, and doing my research before posting so I don't ask questions that have already been answered, and have found the answers to most of my questions without having to post but this one was making me a bit nervous!

Thanks again. You guys are all very helpful and a great pool of knowledge.

Off to Phillip Island next week after the first round of the Victorian and World supers.........

Cheers!!
    Whenever I'm feeling down, I just remember there's another 5 up to go!!

2012 Aprilia RSV4-APRC
    2017 Triumph Tiger 800 XCa
    2016 Sherco 300 SE-F Six Days

apriliaforum newb
    Going through this exact issue at the moment. The only solution is to have the ECU calibrated on PADS by a dealer. It’s something even the dealer was unaware of when selling the race ECU to me. Having come from Jap bikes to the Ape, these things are no longer a surprise!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast