Ktm 790

Unless I missed something, this place has been very quiet about this bike:

Name:  KTM-790-DUKE-PROTOTYPE-770x440.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  61.7 KBName:  2018-KTM-790-Duke-61.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  53.4 KB

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bik...-ktm-790-duke/

I am pretty much sold on this bike based on it being approx. 60 pounds lighter than my Dorso............

I'll stick with Italian, over Indian, thank you very much.

Although I do kind of dig the Royal Enfields.

Name:  continental-GT.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  106.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    You don't need to earn my respect.
    I give it freely.
    Whether or not you keep it is entirely up to you.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Should be a fantastic weapon. Shame it's orange (cue Husqvarna version in the offing...)

For the price and intended use, it needs to be better than a 765 or MT09, though. Not really the same concept as a Dorso, either.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

I have for sure noticed, problem is they're about 2 years too late although I think the fact that it's orange and they teased/advertised for almost two years may be a big seller anyways. I love it but it's not a dorso competitor I don't think but if it was slightly taller it could be it is most likely pretty tight for the legs and back, similar to a fz09 which is kind of comfy but still too crunched up for me. The 790 adv they teased though...id be all over that I'd sell my dorso and my ktm xc for that thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Would any of you say it's a different concept than a Shiver?..............which is a Dorsoduro...............which are Hooligan/"Street Fighter" bikes....................which is what a Duke is.

Non-orange version appears to be available:
    Name:  d2.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  51.6 KB

Don't you ever call my Dorsoduro a Shiver, ever again!
    2014 DD 750 ABS - Spark exhaust, Arrow decat, headers (all ceramic coated), BMC filter, BikeMaster DLFP16-BS LiFePO battery, NGK iridium plugs, GPR steering damper, DD 1200 fully adjustable rear shock w/spring swap, 2016 Tuono Factory wheels, 15/44 520 conversion (PBR/Superlite/DID), Strada-7 fork preload adjusters, Samco 2-piece hose kit w/clamps, Engine Ice, Renazco Racing seat, EvoTech tidy tail, Aprilia grab handles, shorty levers, crank-case breather mod, evap-can delete... and a Rapid Bike EVO.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I wouldn't call the Shiver a street fighter. It's really more towards the sporty roadster end of the scale (c.f. R1200R, Speed Triple - but with nothing like the power and torque; so: SV650), and the Dorso is pretty much the same with a ridiculous seat height, and 30 mm extra suspension travel for "adventure". That's regardless of their appearance, of course.

The KTM is still distinctly orange, even in black
    By which I mean KTMs have a certain look. A look I personally don't really like too much. I'd prefer some actual colour choices, though. I'd also really really love to try one out

Anyone see that Benelli finally managed to roll out its 750 twin? It's amazing that it's 360-firing order is now rare amongst production parallel twins.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	benelli-752-s_hd.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	348764
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

Is say the shiver is more like a duke 690, basically I higher end standard with a little more power then like an sv or a fz07 and much higher spec parts, suspension, components. They have been marketing the 790 as much more of a sport/hooligan machine. A street fighter to me is like a tuono/fz09/z1000 more like sport bikes with handlebars. The dorsoduro is kind of a tall suspension standard that has cashed in on the supermoto look and you kind of get the supermoto type of feel riding it atleast the feel for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

apriliaforum Junkie
    I wouldn't class the Yam 09 as a street fighter either. It's got a weird riding position that is actually more motard than anything else - the newest model apparently "corrects" this. The 09 will walk away from our 750s, probably on the rear wheel thanks to a deliberately unhinged approach to its geometry (that ultimately limits any real sporting pretence). As such, it's basically point and squirt, so it's much more muscle bike, only without anything like the bulk.

All the MTs are hooligans, though. The 07 has real punch and is agile, but is not as "sporty" as a Shiver, weirdly - despite being almost as quick. I wouldn't know where to put a Z1000 (or the new Z900), is it muscle, is it a roadster like the Shiver, or is it part of the allegedly staid Japanese standard pack? The Street Triple is a true street fighter - and the MT10 is too, but about as refined as you can get! Telepathic handling from a genuine sports chassis and a proper "race-y" engine are the hallmarks of a street fighter, for me. That approach has a kind of innate hooligan-ness to it if you try to extract the performance on offer.

Honestly, the current SV650 (Gladius in drag) is a good comparison to the Shiver - it's a really good bike! Doesn't feel or look as quality, of course, and simply isn't.
    A Monster, possibly the original naked hooligan, would probably be compared at some point, but I don't know much about the new ones (yet). The 821 just seems boring?

I think a KTM 690, like the new 790, and probably the 1290, is its own "Duke" thing. Not really motard any more, not at all "standard", kind of hooligan in a polo neck. The 790's weight puts it in the class with the Street Triple and the MT09. The STriple's engine takes time to wind up, and the MT is a handful in the bends, so if the KTM combines a punchy engine with sublime handling, it could have the edge on both for some people.

Whatever, all of these bikes redefine what a "standard", naked bike should be. And all in different ways, which is fun. Much of that is indeed just image!
    The mouth waters at the prospect of what Aprilia could come up with, i.e. a street fighter version of a light weight twin-cylinder sports bike, roughly in this capacity range.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

Not a fan of parallel twins, though it's been awhile since I rode one.
    I'd rather be on my bike thinking about god than be in church thinking about my bike 8)

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by maxredline View Post
    This.

Had it been a V/L twin (a smaller Super Duke) I’d be lusting.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by maxredline View Post
    The firing intervals make a huge difference. I've never ridden a 180 or 360 (or 315) twin, mind you. The 270-crank parallel twin has the same sound and firing intervals as a 90 V-Twin, but because both cylinders are in one plane and the intake / exhaust packaging is neater, it loses some character - i.e. it's smoother. It also has the same inertial characteristics: very lively because of the lower flywheel effect than any other twin configuration.

So purely by comparison to a V-Twin, it doesn't lack that much. It fits into a small bike better and is cheaper and easier to make, plus its inherent smoothness means the rest of the bike can be lighter, too. Maybe not as light as something even smoother, e.g. the Street Triple.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum expert High Country's Avatar
    It looks like it would be a cool bike. KTMs of late aren't quite as reliable as the recent Aprilias, but make more power per cc.

I like that other brands are filling in the middleweight gap. Aprilia and Ducati are moving to 900s, but I'd rather stay in the 700 range and shed 75-100 lbs.

Needs luggage options, though.
    2009 Aprilia Dosoduro 750 (Adventurized: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/a...893274&thumb=1)

Quote Originally Posted by IndelibleInk View Post
    (cue Husqvarna version in the offing...)
    That's not going to happen.

The reason KTM bought Husky, is to transition all of their off-road stuff to that brand, and make KTM a pavement only brand.

Or so I'm told...
    You don't need to earn my respect.
    I give it freely.
    Whether or not you keep it is entirely up to you.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Attachment 348986
    Quote Originally Posted by LesRiskey View Post
    That's not going to happen.

The reason KTM bought Husky, is to transition all of their off-road stuff to that brand, and make KTM a pavement only brand.

Or so I'm told...
    I'm guessing Pierer didn't get that memo, what with the Vit- and Svartpilen bikes on their way based on Duke 390s and 690s!

Here's the production version of the 401 Vitpilen:

Name:  husqvarna-vitpilen-401.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  84.6 KB

There was a dressed up 1290 mule that was said to be a Husqvarna "1301" prototype that had a similar visual style to the other concepts. Still an acquired taste, but certainly out there.

Besides, why on earth would KTM squander its brand image as the go-to enduro tool, especially in Europe?

The intent is to use KTM as the sporty and competition brand (no matter the track surface, with off-road as the "backbone") and Husqvarna for "everything else".

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2...view-part-one/
    http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2...view-part-two/
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast