Thread: Graves slip on......anyone with opinion?

apriliaforum newb

Graves slip on......anyone with opinion?

I have a Ď17 Tuono and am looking at slip on options. AF1 offers the Graves can. Says it has titanium link and C.F. end can. Seems like a decent value. Looks like the huge ďGRAVESĒ logo is maybe just a decal that might be easy to remove? I searched but found little about this can. Right now leaning towards Open Flash Tablet. Theses together will accomplish what Iím after...... I 🤔 think. Anyone with personal experience with the Graves can or opinions on my blowing a wad of cash to make my cycle annoy the neighbors?

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapperJ View Post
    I have a Ď17 Tuono and am looking at slip on options. AF1 offers the Graves can. Says it has titanium link and C.F. end can. Seems like a decent value. Looks like the huge ďGRAVESĒ logo is maybe just a decal that might be easy to remove? I searched but found little about this can. Right now leaning towards Open Flash Tablet. Theses together will accomplish what Iím after...... I 🤔 think. Anyone with personal experience with the Graves can or opinions on my blowing a wad of cash to make my cycle annoy the neighbors?
    Sorry i cant help with first hand experience with graves...But i have had a austin racing GP! can on a ducati streetfighter fit and quality was first class.

Hopefully someone with experience will comment shortly.

apriliaforum newb
    I believe there is a member on here that has the Graves pipe, and if it's the same person he has a video on youtube. It's a Blue tuono with carbon wheels.If I remember correctly he had problems with it on the low end and with back to graves and they made him a longer can for it.

apriliaforum expert
    Shaman666(I think that’s his alias) has one on his RSV4.
    Check out he RSV4 section....it’s where all the cool kids hang out.

I have one and I absolutely love mine. It's loud, but not obnoxiously loud, and it looks fantastic. I have one on a '14. At low RPM's it's honestly not so loud that it matters. Over 5500-6000rpm (when the valve opens), it's a bit loud, but nothing too loud. I wouldn't even take it off for long trips.

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks all for your insight. Seems most things have an Ape tax so saving a few dollars on the can will help with tires
    and stuff. If the wait isn’t long I may have to hit the buy it nw button.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Very nice!
    DT

That'd be me. Love the pipe. The shorty gave me surging issues around 4k rpm (or was it 3.5k? - can't remember... been a minute) even with the Race ECU. Chuck made me a longer pipe and it helped tremendously. Not sure he's offering the original "shorty" version anymore. I think all the newer designs are longer as a result of what we discovered with mine.

With the silencer in, she's slightly louder than stock with a throatier midrange bark. Not as bassy and muffled sounding by comparison. With the silencer out, she's deeper and angrier with an excellent rasp and growl. The AR and SC pipes sound good to me... but they're F'kn Loud AF! The Akrapovic sounds too polite... a lot like the stock pipe but a hair bit louder... exhibiting the same muffled/muted top end with a deeper tone (compared to most all other aftermarket pipes). The Graves is loud... but not obnoxious by any means. The majority of the shorty pipes are just too loud for these overworked professional ears. The Leo Vince and Arrow pipes sound great, too - a nice blend of throaty snarl and tolerable amplitude.

Quote Originally Posted by 1216bertha View Post
    I believe there is a member on here that has the Graves pipe, and if it's the same person he has a video on youtube. It's a Blue tuono with carbon wheels.If I remember correctly he had problems with it on the low end and with back to graves and they made him a longer can for it.
    Last edited by TL2Bass; 12-31-2017 at 03:45 AM. Reason: typo
    www.thailongly.com
    www.flickr.com/tl2bass
    @TL2Bass (Instagram/Twitter)
    2016 Tuono 1100 RR
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT 1050

Motorcycle.com Contributing Editor / Guest Tester
    www.motorcycle.com

STG Sponsored Rider
    www.sportbiketrackgear.com

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by TL2Bass View Post
    That'd be me... I think all the newer designs are longer as a result of what we discovered with mine.

With the silencer in, she's slightly louder than stock with a throatier midrange bark. Not as bassy and muffled sounding by comparison. With the silencer out, she's deeper and angrier with an excellent rasp and growl....
    With the current design is ECU mapping required or just a nice to have. Also, AF1's comments: "*Please note: There is no removable noise baffle and does not include ECU unlock codes" is that a typo?

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by avs View Post
    With the current design is ECU mapping required or just a nice to have. Also, AF1's comments: "*Please note: There is no removable noise baffle and does not include ECU unlock codes" is that a typo?
    No it wouldn’t be a typo.Its just stating that the bike doesn’t come with a dB killer/baffle And doesn’t come with an unlock code ie flash your stock ECU to Race mapping.
    The Aprilia branded Akrapovic does come with an unlock code.

FYI, I run my Graves with the stock ECU. No remapping. Runs great and no surging or whatever.

I did leave the servo valve thing connected.
    Last edited by antarius; 01-01-2018 at 10:00 PM.

Graves slip on......anyone with opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by antarius View Post
    FYI, I run my Graves with the stock ECU. No remapping. Runs great and I surging or whatever.

Yeah the ECU is really unnecessary the more I see. Itís just a recommendation that everyone has taken as a strict rule. Saying ďitís too lean at certain throttle inputs that could cause damage to the engine.Ē Iíve been on here for the last week asking all the questions about the ECU and thatís all Iíve heard. Sounds like a crock of shit to me. There are examples on here and YouTube of people not using the ECU without any problems. I wonít be wasting the extra money on the ECU until I see a dyno run PROVING otherwise. Until then itís all people guessing it might be lean.

This is for the 16 as thatís what Iíve been doing all my research on. Doesnít apply to the 17 because I hear that servo is removed with the slip on causing a fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaholic View Post
    Yeah the ECU is really unnecessary the more I see. It’s just a recommendation that everyone has taken as a strict rule. Saying “it’s too lean at certain throttle inputs that could cause damage to the engine.” I’ve been on here for the last week asking all the questions about the ECU and that’s all I’ve heard. Sounds like a crock of shit to me. There are examples on here and YouTube of people not using the ECU without any problems. I won’t be wasting the extra money on the ECU until I see a dyno run PROVING otherwise. Until then it’s all people guessing it might be lean.

This is for the 16 as that’s what I’ve been doing all my research on. Doesn’t apply to the 17 because I hear that servo is removed with the slip on causing a fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you leave the cat and the flapper in, there is no doubt you can run with the stock tune with any slip on. Remove all that and it won't run as well as it would with a tune...period. It will also backfire on decel like crazy unless you block off the pair system (which the tunes do through the ECU by shutting off the solenoid). Go ride a bike with an exhaust that has been tuned and ride one with a race slip on and the stock ECU if you can and you will notice a big difference in drivability, I guarantee it! You do whatever you want though!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by murphc13 View Post
    No it wouldnít be a typo.Its just stating that the bike doesnít come with a dB killer/baffle And doesnít come with an unlock code ie flash your stock ECU to Race mapping.
    The Aprilia branded Akrapovic does come with an unlock code.
    Sorry, my question was too vague. TL2Bass referred to behavior with Silencer in and out, while AF1's comment seemed to conflict with that.

Quote Originally Posted by antarius View Post
    FYI, I run my Graves with the stock ECU. No remapping. Runs great and no surging or whatever.

Thanks, that would be my situation with Calif gas.