Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016 All three lights on Mod

apriliaforum expert KbomonFalco's Avatar

2016+17 All three lights on Mod

This mod will allow the low beams to stay on with the high beam. You retain the Flash to Pass and the high beam indicator still functions normal. This will work with the OEM incandescent bulbs, or LED’s. Understand that this will add an additional 55w load on the electrical system if using the OEM bulbs. The alternator is rated at 450 watts, so this shouldn't be an issue, but could possibly cause a strain on the stator.

Here are a couple of options. One adds a jumper in the headlight switch connector. This is a little difficult, as you need to split the instrument cluster case to gain access. The second option adds a diode at the headlight disconnect connector. This connector is easier to access.

Both require removing the front fairing to gain access. I have described this in an earlier thread: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...l-With-Photo-s

The wire jumper option (for 2016 only) was mentioned in an earlier thread: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...=1#post4037703

Here are the instructions for the diode option (2016 and 2017)…..

Gain access to the 6 pin headlight connector following the front fairing removal steps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Headlight Connector.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	348743

Use a small flat blade screwdriver to remove the pink/black and white wires. Note their location so you put them back in the same location. Add an IN4000 series diode as shown in the photo. Make sure to install the diode with the line (cathode) towards the white wire. I used an IN4005.

Name:	Diode Jumper.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	348744

I used clear heatshrink to insulate the wires and help illustrate the diode. Make sure the lock tabs are bent back out enough to secure the pins and re-insert them in the same location they were removed from.

Name:	All done.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	348745

I’ve included a wiring schematic for those that are interested. Now put everything together and enjoy a better night time riding experience.
    Hi-Lo Headlight Jumper_Diode Option.pdf
    Last edited by KbomonFalco; 01-03-2018 at 04:46 PM. Reason: added 2017 note, OEM bulb disclaimer.
    2001 SL1000 Falco (Handed down to KbomJr)
    2000.5 RSV-R Mille (Track)
    2016 Tuono V4 1100 Factory (His)
    2016 Tuono V4 1100 RR (Hers)

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thank you for your time and effort to share this with us.

apriliaforum Member
    Will this work on the rsv4 as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by letsride View Post
    Will this work on the rsv4 as well?
    I don't have the RSV4 wiring diagrams, but I'm pretty sure it would be the same. It may depend on the model year. If you can send me the diagram I'll look it over. Just PM me.

apriliaforum prov-nov Mike_in_nh's Avatar
    Super simple great mod! Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_in_nh View Post
    Super simple great mod! Thanks for sharing
    Your welcome! Cheers back.

I have the 2017 wiring diagram and it looks the same on the headlight end. So the diode mod will work for 2017 as well. The jumper mod is a bit different.

Thanks for sharing!! The US high beam mode leaves a TON to be desired when riding at night...

apriliaforum expert
    I wonder how much stress that will put on the stator... assuming the bulbs are 55 watts each.. that's putting a 1/3 more load from the lights on the stator
    55 w / 12 volts = 4.5 amps more from the R/R- stator assy.

somebody should use an DC amp meter clamp and see how much amps are drawn from the R/R and see how much the stator is rated..

..since that the stator was downgraded ( weaker magnets) from the previous design that would overheat and toast pretty early on.. let's hope it's ok.

If I'm not mistaken only the US models operate in the silly mode where the Low beams turn off when the high beams are on...
    I also don't believe that US and Euro models have a different stator - so good call out, but my hunch is that it's sized fine based on the Euro Bikes having the same stator and working with both highs and lows on at the same time when Hi Beam selected.

Quote Originally Posted by fr0st View Post
    I wonder how much stress that will put on the stator... assuming the bulbs are 55 watts each.. that's putting a 1/3 more load from the lights on the stator
    55 w / 12 volts = 4.5 amps more from the R/R- stator assy. somebody should use an DC amp meter clamp and see how much amps are drawn from the R/R and see how much the stator is rated..
    ..since that the stator was downgraded ( weaker magnets) from the previous design that would overheat and toast pretty early on.. let's hope it's ok.
    Frost,

You are correct. The Service Manual states the alternator is rated at 450 watts. So effectively you are adding 55 watts to the normal low beam circuit. I have switched over to LED headlights so this isn't an issue for me. I cannot predict what effect this will have long term for the stator. As you mentioned, the earlier stators were prone to fail. Time will only tell if we see this on the newer design. I will amend my post to reflect this concern. Thanks for the comments.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by KbomonFalco View Post
    Frost,

You are correct. The Service Manual states the alternator is rated at 450 watts. So effectively you are adding 55 watts to the normal low beam circuit. I have switched over to LED headlights so this isn't an issue for me. I cannot predict what effect this will have long term for the stator. As you mentioned, the earlier stators were prone to fail. Time will only tell if we see this on the newer design. I will amend my post to reflect this concern. Thanks for the comments.

owning a 2012, i had my share of stator issues so... just the thought adding adding extra load , doesn't look good in my book.. i could be wrong though, like omse have mentionned here, the EU spec bikes might have be already working the lights already.. if so, then no biggie..

just like the previous V4 1000 had one light for low and one light for high beams on the US version...which gave a whole new meaning to "candle light rating" but the EU spec had both working lows and high beams.... and everybody here ordered the stuff to do it off AF1...sorta..

if the EU bikes have the 3 lamps working shouldn't be probleme then.. if not, that should raise questions

apriliaforum Member Lost Down Under's Avatar
    Hey KbomonFalco, absolutely fantastic write up. I can even understand what you've done.
    Just one question though. My local has a 1N4004 DO-41 (1A 400v) on the shelf. Not being an electrical whiz I'm not sure if this will do the trick. What are your thoughts?
    If it's not upside down, you're not trying hard enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Down Under View Post
    Hey KbomonFalco, absolutely fantastic write up. I can even understand what you've done.
    Just one question though. My local has a 1N4004 DO-41 (1A 400v) on the shelf. Not being an electrical whiz I'm not sure if this will do the trick. What are your thoughts?
    That will work. Any of the IN4000 series will do the trick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1N400x...purpose_diodes

apriliaforum Member Lost Down Under's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KbomonFalco View Post
    That will work. Any of the IN4000 series will do the trick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1N400x...purpose_diodes
    Thank you very much.
    If it's not upside down, you're not trying hard enough!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Isn't it easier to put the diode in the switch on the left handlebar? I've seen someone do that before but no one has done a detailed write up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast