Thread: When to replace rear shock linkage bearings?

apriliaforum Junkie

When to replace rear shock linkage bearings?

Can't seem to find any good info on when to replace the shock linkage sleeves and bearings. Love to see your opinions!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171229_172604.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	515.5 KB 
ID:	348724  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171229_172616.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	501.7 KB 
ID:	348725  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171229_172633.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	501.2 KB 
ID:	348726  

Quote Originally Posted by Yzf600r View Post
    Can't seem to find any good info on when to replace the shock linkage sleeves and bearings. Love to see your opinions!
    I think people replace it when they feel something got worse than it was.

I changed them all last year not because I felt anything rather than the idiot who put the Ohlins shock in.
    Unfortunately the right Ohlins shock doesn't fit because the top of it touches the frame a little causing the bottom of the shock tilt backwards slightly. This idiot forced the bolt in anyway causing the bearings to wear uneven....anyway it is sorted now and it is better than ever.

Back to your question.

I changed everything but the seals (shity springless crap) to genuine aprilia put a lot of waterproof grease in and proper seals.

The original seal has no spring so in no time water and dirt gets in. The one I used called "rotary shaft seal" and has a spring but 1mm wider so you need to press the bearings in a bit more, but I doubt it would cause any problem, since I changed them (4000 miles) no problems.

To push them out I used I think a 17mm socket because the outside diameter is just a bit less then 24mm so it was a nice fit.

The bearings in the swingarm a right PIA if you dont remove the swingarm (which I didn't) get them out is not so bad but to put the new ones in straight is.

I used I think a 19mm socket one end with big flat washers and a threaded bar and nuts through the bearing and used rachet spanners to drive the bearing in, worked pretty good.
    Used vernier caliper to check the depth of them to make sure they are the same. I think I pushed them in around 4.5mm for clearence.

One little problem with these spring loaded seals is you can only put the pin in from the outside. You have to both seals in its place then put two pin in from each side then push one of them out with the other one while you push them together (hope it makes sense).

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p2...duct_info.html

apriliaforum Junkie
    I've decided to replace them. with a fingernail it's very noticeable that the sleeves are worn. They're about 20k old. The seals are fine and have a strong spring, and like you said you have to be careful when inserting the sleeve.

And with the swingarm in removing the swingarm needle bearings will be a PITA with lots of swearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yzf600r View Post
    I've decided to replace them. with a fingernail it's very noticeable that the sleeves are worn. They're about 20k old. The seals are fine and have a strong spring, and like you said you have to be careful when inserting the sleeve.

And with the swingarm in removing the swingarm needle bearings will be a PITA with lots of swearing.
    Somebody might have changed your seals then because mine were green springless and could see the bearings from the side a little bit with the sleeves still inside..LOL

I am slowly learning over the years that if it is apart and you can get the bits replace them!
    Trying to decide whether its worn or not is a losing battle and you may not pull that bit apart for a while so for peace of mind just do it the cost of parts is most often less than your labour if you count up time off riding/work etc. Whats your hourly rate is it worth replacing bits now or doing another tear down.
    no matter the brand of bike, the wind is the same.