Thread: Tasmanian Touring NZ?

Tasmanian Touring NZ?

Have a friend that is planning a trip to NZ with his son, both competent extreme adventure riders.
    Age group for additional info, 40 to 70.
    Have done just about every off the beaten track journey in OZ without guides or back up vehicles - Cape York, Simpson Desert (actually I'm pretty sure all the deserts), Strzelecki Track, Gibb river road & more
    The pics & movies I've seen of their trips are awesome.

If anyone would like to meet up with them at any time of their tour, they are 2 of the best people you will ever meet, with great stories of their adventures.

What they are looking for is advice on touring NZ & as there are a few of you NZers here that know what it's all about, I thought I'd put this out there for an exploratory for my friend.

Specific advice on;

1: Out of the way places to visit, Nth & Sth Island. Coordinates would be nice.

2: best place to buy 2 second hand bikes when they get there, either Nth or Sth island. With the expectation of reselling after the tour.

3: Bikes preferred would be Suzuki DR 600-700

BTW; they are planning this for possibly Easter '18.

Thanks for any feed back.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Hey Plocky, tell them to order this book, its perfect for riding NZs best roads, and also gravel roads, theres plenty of information in here, and its a great read. as for bikes, you can hire them here, or look on Trade Me, in the motor vehicle section. Im heading down to the South Island on the 5th Feb for 2 weeks of road riding on my 1290GT, I'm not doing gravel roads.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2755.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	515.2 KB 
ID:	348713
    "The Earth is our ancestor....A restless Planet is our creator"..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler.

Thanks Dave, you're a legend.
    That book looks perfect & I just had a look on Trade Me, plenty of bikes for them to look at.
    I'll pass this info on.
    Cheers.

If this video doesn't get them excited (you to Plocky) then nothing will, Ive riden about 30 or more of these roads. We live in paradise
    Last edited by DaveNZ; 12-29-2017 at 11:40 PM.
    "The Earth is our ancestor....A restless Planet is our creator"..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler.

Mate, looks a lot like Tassie.
    Just a bit bigger with different but similarly spectacular terrain.

Thanks for your enthusiasm, you're making me want to go there now, actually nahh I love it here.
    Going riding with Wolf tomorrow, so will show him the video & send a link to his son down south on the email.

Cheers, Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by plocky View Post
    Mate, looks a lot like Tassie.
    Just a bit bigger with different but similarly spectacular terrain.

Thanks for your enthusiasm, you're making me want to go there now, actually nahh I love it here.
    Going riding with Wolf tomorrow, so will show him the video & send a link to his son down south on the email.

Cheers, Paul.
    Im going fishing tomorrow morning, nice early tide, so hoping to get some nice snapper and gurnard. Been very warm and sunny, a little cloud would be appreciated.