Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Next to fall? CW or Motorcyclist mag.

Rocky chill man. Find a good Scotch. We're talking recreational media here not IP.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Pete

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
    Rocky chill man. Find a good Scotch. We're talking recreational media here not IP.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Just the reality about the cloud without the rosy colored glasses. Its been a big money pit and waste of resources for too many. My physical in-house servers have cost us much less and been many times more reliable providing critical data a greater speeds than the Cloud Vapor has been. I deal with Cloud Lemmings all day long who still have not realized that the problems they have accessing their data be it simply speed of access or lack of 100% 365 day a year availability has been 99% of the time from the Cloud based systems and not the physical in-house ones.

1. Save pdf magazine to your external hard drive on your desk.
    2. Periodically back up said hard drive with a second hard drive kept in safe place
    3. Add magazines to your Ipad or other tablet (new Ipads are as big as a sheet of paper and cheaper than bifocals)
    4. Erase magazines off Ipad as you read them.

I hated using the digital magazines five years ago when I first got an Ipad, but was thinking about it the other day that I haven't bought a hard copy of anything in well over a year now. I have easily 1000 bike magazines (hard copy) from the 90's and 00's. Thinking about scanning them in throughout 2018 and ditching the hard copies in my garage altogether. Would almost make space for another bike!

Pulse Height Discrimination

What I just LOVE about moto websites is how they've become de facto bulletin boards for low-value press releases of every description: Joe Backmarker is now sponsored by Shit Bull track stands, Shoerai Helmets the Official Skidlid of Moto Toto, all that shiz. Or, Super Star rider's wife pregnant with twins. Five seconds of your life you'll never, ever get back...and an image you'll never un-see. I mean, how creepy is some of this stuff?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB1636B6-C123-40FB-A052-026C4A5BC570.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	348919  

apriliaforum Member
    I love printed version as well. The latest Motorcyclist, presently sitting on the toilet tank, has a nice article written by Chris Cantle about a ride with a friend, through the Italian Alps on a Tuono and a Shiver. It's mostly about the beauty of Italy but is sprinkled with respect and love of the Tuono. I've read it...more than twice...it helps keep me alive while I wait

The beagle on the right is guilty of something

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by sburns2421 View Post
    1. Save pdf magazine to your external hard drive on your desk.
    2. Periodically back up said hard drive with a second hard drive kept in safe place
    3. Add magazines to your Ipad or other tablet (new Ipads are as big as a sheet of paper and cheaper than bifocals)
    4. Erase magazines off Ipad as you read them.

I hated using the digital magazines five years ago when I first got an Ipad, but was thinking about it the other day that I haven't bought a hard copy of anything in well over a year now. I have easily 1000 bike magazines (hard copy) from the 90's and 00's. Thinking about scanning them in throughout 2018 and ditching the hard copies in my garage altogether. Would almost make space for another bike!
    Only drawback is you have to pay extra for a sturdy one that you can easily be read outside on a sunny day and of course in addition to the cost of the miracle device eat the cost of the palindrome of backup hard drives which are only temporary.

Stopped all subscriptions well over 2 decades ago myself and only read pinpointed articles on what interests me now. Why pay for 50 to 100 pages of advertising for the few pages of stuff that I might like to read. Gives me a lot more time to do real stuff like ride, build things, go fishing, etc. Tablet works for me indoors but still limited by battery life when not near an outlet and if you get them wet your chances of coming out of it with something still readable are a bit more debatable than with paper. Never had a paper magazine become unreadable from dropping it or rolling it up to swat the dog, etc either. Books on the other hand I do still get and greatly prefer to digital. If I put a book mark in place and put the book down even for an extended period of time the chances are pretty good even a year later that the bookmark will be exactly where I left it and not be lost. How many times has anyone answered the door or phone and found when they got back to it that the digital device had shut down on a low batter event or such and lost their place? Too many times. If you were using your phone as your reader your chances increase that your place could be lost when you switched apps to answer the call.

Not going off the grid since I have to be available 24/7 to support data but really don't have to drag digital media with me wherever I go either.

I thought about scanning too and have two double sided high speed scanners with 500 sheet feed trays capable of scanning 100 full color pages per minute double sided along with the trimmers to accurately cut off the bindings so the pages will feed accurately but then you have to do at least some basic OCR and indexing of the media to make it worth while to support basic searches. Then comes the issue of format that takes the least drive space - EPub, DeJaVue and CITT4 will most times take far less space than a PDF however how much longer will they continue to be supported.

Its a love/hate relationship.

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Kevin Cameron's articles are the only reason I still pick up a Cycle World from time to time, print is effectively dead indeed. At my local grocery store there are literally dozens of Gun magazines, some as specific as to be only about a certain model or type, a few diesel truck magazines and the rest is your typical lifestyle pulp. There MIGHT be two choices, usually something dirt oriented and something HD oriented.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    Kevin Cameron's articles are the only reason I still pick up a Cycle World from time to time, print is effectively dead indeed. At my local grocery store there are literally dozens of Gun magazines, some as specific as to be only about a certain model or type, a few diesel truck magazines and the rest is your typical lifestyle pulp. There MIGHT be two choices, usually something dirt oriented and something HD oriented.
    I wonder how many guys just log into forums for racing news or interesting motorcycle stuff.
    Seriously

I still like print magazines for my 'peace time' because I don't like to get poop on my electronics. My wife swears I'm just reading in there to hide from the kids. She is correct.

I subscribe to Road Racing World and I have gift subscriptions to a couple other mags.

You can learn a lot from magazines in 10 min snips, especially if you subscribe to ones that are not already in your knowledge field. I get tired of reading about bikes and cars, because after years and years I am rarely surprised by the knowledge I find. Reading mags about politics, business, and computers has been more interesting lately.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdawg View Post
    The beagle on the right is guilty of something
    Aw shit!

Nearly pissed myself with that one!

Road Runner my only choice for subscription. Quality stuff!

Cycle World is going to a quarterly "coffee table" book format now. Good luck with that.
    [SIZE=1]For: single-payer healthcare, border control, path to citizenship, personal responsibility
    Against: Clintons, ACA, Trump's twitter, nation-building, intellectual dishonesty.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by sburns2421 View Post
    Cycle World is going to a quarterly "coffee table" book format now. Good luck with that.
    Aw chit......
    I am up for renewal with CW.
    I decided to let the Motorcyclist subscription die at the end of the year..

What to do....

Will RIDER magazine be the only subscription left for me?

see ya
    bill

Capolavoro

If you haven't already, and especially if you are a fan of the Italian moto scene, thumb through the Jan/Feb issue of Motorcyclist magazine. What a real pleasure! Che bella.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast