Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Next to fall? CW or Motorcyclist mag.

apriliaforum expert

Next to fall? CW or Motorcyclist mag.

Hi,
    Yes, I am bored.... hahha

So, I noticed that other than the EIC and Contributors, CW and Motorcyclist have the same staff.....

Will we be down to American Iron......

see ya
    bill

Haven't even read through a magazine in years mostly watch reviews on YouTube or whatever written content they have online. Motorcyclists has some great YouTube content, the on two wheels series with Ari Henning and the other guy is really entertaining.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

apriliaforum expert
    Motorcyclist has turned into a hipster magazine.......not renewing, lol

The death of Sport Rider was the end of my American rag subscription. Although, as someone mentioned, some of the digital content being produced with Ari Henning is at least bearable. TBH though, I've always preferred the brit bike mags, so the death of the American motorcycle magazines doesn't really hurt my feelings. Although, the fact that they are gone certainly won't be helping the riding and racing scene in the US.
    I find tinsel very distracting.

Cycle World has the largest US subscription base, right?

Quote Originally Posted by NUMBER41 View Post
    The death of Sport Rider was the end of my American rag subscription. Although, as someone mentioned, some of the digital content being produced with Ari Henning is at least bearable. TBH though, I've always preferred the brit bike mags, so the death of the American motorcycle magazines doesn't really hurt my feelings. Although, the fact that they are gone certainly won't be helping the riding and racing scene in the US.
    I think a lot of the motorcycle and racing scene died off when ama superbike faded away into nothing. That was some of the best times of my child hood was going to VIR and Mid Ohio, this was also the most popular time for bike magazines I'd bet, I know cycle world sponsored about everything back then, back when they had the huge sized magazines like newspaper almost (atleast i think that was cycle world)

Edited: I believe that was cycle news

As for "newspapers", RRW stilll does a good job, but too many politics.............
    I find tinsel very distracting.

apriliaforum expert
    Flip through a Cycle World or Motorcyclist from 10, 15, 20 years ago. They were double the size and covered a bigger breadth of motorcycles in general. Editors would have went to far-flung places for five laps on the champion's race bike, or in some cases (Don Canet) even raced in big races like the Daytona 200.

There would be plenty of ads for sure, but also plenty of content.

What I see now is 60-70 pages. 20 pages of ads, 20 pages of stupid electric bikes or cruisers, and economy bike "shootout", some adventure bike staycation feature, something bought from a freelancer that may or may not be interesting, and maybe a handful of pages related to sportbikes, racing or racing technology.

Or...
    I can go buy Fast Bikes or Performance Bikes if I want to read about new sportbikes, or Practical Sportsbike (my fav) or Classic Motorcycle Mechanics if I need an 80's or 90's fix. And nearly every page is interesting. Or just watch MCN or The Bike Show videos on youtube for free.

Who do I think will be killed off first? I would say Motorcyclist first before Cycle World. But both may bite the dust in the next couple of years.

It has to be a tough business for sure. Don't see it getting any easier.

I do recall when having a subscription to Motorcyclist the issues got smaller and smaller, when it seemed like there was still enough contact out there to write about. Wonder if they were forced to cut back on the # of pages due to increasing print costs.

MC garage is cool with Ari and the commute reviews by Zack are pretty good. Narration while running an RSV4 around COTA was nice.

CW has been posting vids with Kevin Cameron...could be a sign

USA Millennials are more concerned with social media, video games, and their next bong hit than cars let alone motorbikes

Quote Originally Posted by Tdawg View Post
    MC garage is cool with Ari and the commute reviews by Zack are pretty good. Narration while running an RSV4 around COTA was nice.

CW has been posting vids with Kevin Cameron...could be a sign

USA Millennials are more concerned with social media, video games, and their next bong hit than cars let alone motorbikes
    Hey now! I'm a millennial (24). But you're right for the most part, I have a lot of friends that ride but then again that's how I met them was riding.

LOL! Okay. Most I know on the west coast. Maybe too harsh. House/rent costs, can’t really afford a garage and insurance...

"Print Is Dead"

That was Dean F Adams' war cry in the early days of his website, amasuperbike.com (now superbikeplanet.com). But looking at his site today it too is a faint shadow of its former self. There's some F irony for you!

The Good Ones

Over the years I've been privileged to read stuff by Rob Walker, Henny Ray Abrams, Gordon Jennings, LJK Setright, Paul Frère, Phil Schilling, Pete Lyons, Kevin Cameron, Henry N Manney, Denis Jenkinson, Patrick Bedard, and so many other talented wordsmiths. They informed, while being entertaining. Painting pictures with words is not an "app".

apriliaforum expert
    Hi,
    Anybody remember Popular Cycling?
    I used to motocross and I loved that magazine!

I may be giving away my age.. hahaha

I bought the first 1976 YZ 125 (monoshock) the dealer got in Mattoon IL. I think.... august 1975.

First race ever, I was in third place at the first corner and got t-boned. Finished in the back... oops....
    bent the handlebars. Straightened them (bent back into shape) and finished well up in the pack in the second moto.

ahhh.... good times...

see ya
    bill

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast