Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Sena SMH10R Comm system

  1. #1
    apriliaforum Member rsvrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    LI, NY
    Posts
    238

    Sena SMH10R Comm system

    Recently received a Sena SMH10R comm system for Christmas. My only concern is: will I be able to hear anything over my Tuono's exhaust? I have the SC project CF oval slip on, which is kind of loud, but not as loud as something like the the CRT, from what I'm to understand. Anyone running the same basic set up? Does the noise cancelling feature work? How do you turn on the noise cancelling feature?
    '12 Tuono V4 APRC
    '03 Ducati ST4S

  2. #2
    apriliaforum expert InvictaZ3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ashland OR
    Posts
    727
    Not above 35mph on mine

  3. #3
    apriliaforum expert zedx9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Central Oregon
    Posts
    721
    Maybe get the adapter to use earbuds? I've never used a Sena product but I do know that with my Autocom system, I use earbuds for audio and noise cancellation. With ear plugs and the standard speakers it was difficult to hear at freeway speeds. My plan is to get the Sena 20s (or whatever latest iteration/gizmo they have) and use ear buds.

  4. #4
    apriliaforum Member Ametts21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    157
    I have been using the 10s for a couple seasons. It uses the 20s speakers, running in a agv dual evo so not the loudest helmet but not the most quite. I can hear mine at highway speeds on my dorsoduro, I would assume the exhaust isn't as much of an issue compared to wind noise at those speeds. As far as communication with other riders go you can hear no problem at any speeds. I would recommend the 10s or 20s over the R forctge reason of they have better speakers and better range although not as sleek as the R

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    apriliaforum expert spencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    New Oxford, PA
    Posts
    2,580
    I have the 10S, as do 3 of my riding buds....cant say enough good things about it. Im on a 04T, akra slipon....so not very loud. (motorcycle mechanically) Noise cancellation is superb, most people have no clue Im riding a motorcycle while im talking to them on the phone. Intercom is crystal clear for around 1/3 mile in town, 1/2 mile country. Battery that lasts well over 10 hours of continuous use. If I had to complain about something it would be the radio, it simply does not pull channels like a car. I tend to use pandora or some internet based music if riding by myself or commuting. I would also recommend against VOX intercom, annoying when singing along with a song and it cuts out and goes into intercom mode.
    2004 Tuono

  6. #6
    apriliaforum Member Ametts21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer View Post
    I have the 10S, as do 3 of my riding buds....cant say enough good things about it. Im on a 04T, akra slipon....so not very loud. (motorcycle mechanically) Noise cancellation is superb, most people have no clue Im riding a motorcycle while im talking to them on the phone. Intercom is crystal clear for around 1/3 mile in town, 1/2 mile country. Battery that lasts well over 10 hours of continuous use. If I had to complain about something it would be the radio, it simply does not pull channels like a car. I tend to use pandora or some internet based music if riding by myself or commuting. I would also recommend against VOX intercom, annoying when singing along with a song and it cuts out and goes into intercom mode.
    I love mine as Well! I guess we should of clarified for the OP that as far as I know the noise cancellation is for the output for calls, I don't think it's dynamic for the listener like say Bose noise isolation headphones are. The only complaint I have is the pairing method seems to be hit or miss at times, if it's the same people you always pair with it works okay but I've spent many minutes sweating my ass of in leathers trying to get paired but it does eventually work. "Intercom failed try again later" haunts me. And I wouldn't waste time with any other brand besides SENA

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    apriliaforum prov-nov
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    61
    I have the smh10 and haven’t had a problem. I commute about 40 miles each way with gutted 09 tuono exhaust. I wear a shoei qwest. I’ll wear a pair of acoustic ear plugs to cut down on the wind but I’m always able to hear the headset even above 100. The noise cancellation is impressive as I’ve called into conferences and nobody was any wiser unless I really opened the throttle to pass a grandma or two.

  8. #8
    apriliaforum expert spencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    New Oxford, PA
    Posts
    2,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Ametts21 View Post
    The only complaint I have is the pairing method seems to be hit or miss at times, if it's the same people you always pair with it works okay but I've spent many minutes sweating my ass of in leathers trying to get paired but it does eventually work. "Intercom failed try again later" haunts me.
    agreed. Although we actually broke out the instructions last time and it worked fairly quickly. Once all paired up (4 to our group) we dont turn them off, even if we stop for lunch or to sight see the SENA stays on and connected to the other units. I have a power outlet in my tankbag, usually connect charger after 10-11 hours of use.
    2004 Tuono

  9. #9
    apriliaforum prov-nov
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    South TX
    Posts
    34
    Jeez, I guess I need to try a Sena. I’m half-deaf from a lifetime of concerts, loud cars/bikes, and guns. The two helmet communication systems I’ve tried are worthless above about 40 mph, except on my 650 Versys, which is so quiet to begin with that it might as well be electric. On anything with even a moderate exhaust note I can’t hear a damned thing even with the volume maxed out.

  10. #10
    apriliaforum Member Ametts21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes7 View Post
    Jeez, I guess I need to try a Sena. Iím half-deaf from a lifetime of concerts, loud cars/bikes, and guns. The two helmet communication systems Iíve tried are worthless above about 40 mph, except on my 650 Versys, which is so quiet to begin with that it might as well be electric. On anything with even a moderate exhaust note I canít hear a damned thing even with the volume maxed out.
    Always recommend SENA. Best out there try them, before you write off bluetooth coms

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    apriliaforum prov-nov
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    South TX
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Ametts21 View Post
    Always recommend SENA. Best out there try them, before you write off bluetooth coms

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Thanks, will do. I ride with a neighbor and other than a good set of twisties I’ve found that I enjoy just BSing with him about the road, the week, our families, etc. It kind of sucks when every other word out of my mouth is “WHAT?”

  12. #12
    apriliaforum Member Ametts21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes7 View Post
    Thanks, will do. I ride with a neighbor and other than a good set of twisties Iíve found that I enjoy just BSing with him about the road, the week, our families, etc. It kind of sucks when every other word out of my mouth is ďWHAT?Ē
    Sena 10s is a good choice but the w0s is probably the best bang for the buck st the moment as the new model just came out

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. SENA SMH10R Bluetooth headset KIT(2)
    By Mbyrne93 in forum Other Stuff For Sale
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-30-2017, 11:49 AM
  2. SENA SMH10R (2) Bluetooth Headset
    By Mbyrne93 in forum Aprilia Parts and Accessories for Sale / Wanted
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2017, 04:24 PM
  3. Beo Comm System
    By BeoLuva in forum Aprilia and Piaggio 500cc
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-02-2007, 04:34 PM
  4. EVO Comms System
    By Flashfish in forum RSVR and RSVR Factory (2004-2009)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2007, 08:05 AM
  5. Atlantic Comm System
    By AtlanticGuy in forum Aprilia and Piaggio 500cc
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 03:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •