Thread: Headlight Uprate?

Headlight Uprate?

After putting in some extended mileage on dark backroads I'm pondering an upgrade to the Rally's headlights. I suspect our stock H11 bulbs are not of the highest quality so swapping to more efficient H11 bulbs is a reasonable first step. The goal is not fashion, "blue", or "HID-look", just more lumens on the road in a proper spread. The new bulbs must not be short-lived, either.

I do keep an eye on developments in LED bulb technology, and understand the challenges of designing an LED bulb to work well in a reflector and lens assembly made for halogen bulbs. It would be outstanding if a breakthrough could me made with this tech. More light with less power draw and less heat would be fantastic.

apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    my reflectors are torched. completely burnt. i would not do much except maybe see what is available for an led swap. i'm trying to get a picture in my mind of doing a retrofit led projector install. time keeps getting in the way.
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

Extent of Condition

Interesting...is that a poor coating batch or a common mode failure of this component? It has me wondering about attaching a heat sink to the back side of these reflectors, to reduce temperatures. But plastic is a pretty lousy heat conductor anyway and that might not do much for the reflectors' peak temperatures. Darn!

I did find this pretty cool resource in the UK who can re-plate headlight reflectors, including plastic ones! http://www.vmclimited.co.uk/index.php

Tweaking Aim

Turning the elevation adjuster screw ~1.5 turns clockwise made a good improvement in beam throw, and oncoming drivers aren't objecting. It's not very easy to access this adjuster, though! I just added an 8mm ratcheting flex head combo wrench to my toolkit for future tweaking.

apriliaforum Member

Headlight Uprate?

Well what did I discover today ...

Now to see how a warranty claim goes. Thankfully I have the OEM lamps so they wonít get me on that one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SudEst View Post
    Well what did I discover today ...

Now to see how a warranty claim goes. Thankfully I have the OEM lamps so they wonít get me on that one

I imagine that they will tell you what they told me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

For the vision impaired and possibly the dumb (me), what did you discover? I donít see it. Iím in this thread because I wonít ride after dark because the headlights do little to brighten the night.

2017 RSV4RR Akrapovič slip/ aRacing ECU software

apriliaforum Member
    In this close up you can see how the heat from the lamp has caused the plastic underneath to burn and itís discoloured

One Hump Or Two?

SudEst, is this scorching on both sides or just one so far? How much running time do you have on them?

The fundamental issue seems to be a poorly-plated reflector, and who knows if a warranty replacement would be any better quality? Assuming it isn't, the best available solution would be an effective H11 LED bulb that reduces heat output to the reflector. I'm going to pursue this option now.

apriliaforum Member

Headlight Uprate?

Itís on both sides but Iíve shown the left as thatís the worse of the two. Hard to find an LED that is effective with those reflectors I believe.

But by all means let me know if you do. As I commute year round I do actually need effective headlights, not just to be seen but to see the road and illuminate signs etc

Effective Headlights

In 100% agreement that these are needed, meaning more lumens on the road in a smooth pattern with minimal glare to other drivers. Less heat on the reflector would be icing on the cake! At the moment the most advanced H11 LED might be PIAA's new G3 series which debuted late in 2017. They claim major progress in getting the diode and column geometry to approximate a halogen's filament placement; apparently the column in thinner to mimimize dark spotting plus it can be "clocked" to match the stock bulb. All very nice claims! But claims won't light the road. Still, I'm tempted to bite the bullet and see what can be done with a pair. I'll never miss the money. When I'm dead.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo J View Post
    In 100% agreement that these are needed, meaning more lumens on the road in a smooth pattern with minimal glare to other drivers. Less heat on the reflector would be icing on the cake! At the moment the most advanced H11 LED might be PIAA's new G3 series which debuted late in 2017. They claim major progress in getting the diode and column geometry to approximate a halogen's filament placement; apparently the column in thinner to mimimize dark spotting plus it can be "clocked" to match the stock bulb. All very nice claims! But claims won't light the road. Still, I'm tempted to bite the bullet and see what can be done with a pair. I'll never miss the money. When I'm dead.
    I just went to the website. Big claims and a pricetag to match!

The equivalent product from Philips is similarly expensive. And it still carries a disclaimer that it's not road legal.

As if I need to make it any easier on some moto-hating highway patrol officer...

In fact, Philips don't officially list LEDs for motos and I wonder if it's because of a packaging problem with heat sinks etc?

You'll find some LED bulbs will come with a disclaimer saying modification may be required.

apriliaforum Member
    Oh and what is Philips is trying to tell us in this picture?

"nine out of ten sleaze bags agree, kerb crawling is made easier with Philips..."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phillips.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	486.5 KB 
ID:	349990

Headlight Revolution dot com

I found these two videos on automotive LED technology really enlightening!

Performance test of 15 bulbs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQF5ESBHLrw

Tech tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sonh4lHu4XE

Based on all of that I think the Supernova V3 is in pole position for my project. Amongst the best in overall lumens and an excellent beam pattern.