Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How smooth is your Futura running

How smooth is your Futura running

I have worked a lot on my bike over the years and there are very few areas of the bike I have not touched/inspected.

I have a problem that my pinkie fingers go to sleep during cruising.
    I use a throttle rocker as well which helps bit.

I know that this can happen because of a lot of different reasons and not always bike related, but what is your experience regarding bike vibrations?
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

When I was a new rider, I used to grip the bars very tightly causing my hand to go to sleep. A Throttle Rocker and the mantra "relax your hands" solved that problem, and the bike handled so much better! The Futura was so much smoother than my previous BMW R1100RS that vibration was never a problem. Are you getting vibes from wheels out of balance? Are you getting vibes at all?
    Twinz - John
    Montpelier, VT

Gone but not forgotten:
    '04 RST 1000 Futura
    '94 R1100RS
    '84 R100CS
    '76 R75/6 w/S fairing
    '80 Guzzi V50 II
    '73 Guzzi V7 Sport

The bike I traded in to get the Futura was a K1100RS. Man, did that thing sizzle. It put my hands and feet to sleep with a bit more upright ride position that put less pressure on my hands.

I picked up an FZ07 (aka MT07) Yamaha and my biggest complaint with that bike is that it starts to buzz right where things get fun - 5k and up. It's not put my hands to sleep, but annoying enough that I'll be swapping to a countershaft sprocket with an extra tooth so I can cruise at 70 w/o hitting that 5k rev.

One thing i did to the Fut early on was to raise the bars up a tad. 1/2" under the clamps was enough to take a big bunch of pressure from my hands and make the bike far more comfy.

As for vibration, I've never really considered this bike to be bad and have had (and have) way worse.

If yer still using the OE grips - I am - that rubber as to be getting a bit hard by now. Maybe a new set of grips can soak up some of the strum.

After slicing thru a sensory nerve in the middle finger of my right hand a couple years ago (that surgery didn't fix), I now have a permanent sizzle in that finger. It's a really combination of numb, stiffness and needles. Throttle Rockers are my friend as well as my middle finger is just along for the ride these days..

My vibes are not coming from the wheels.
    I have daytona heated grips which may not be as good as the original to absorb vibrations.
    I may try a original style drive sprocket with the rubber damper next time https://www.ognibenechaintech.com/en...anaggi-OE.html.
    Don´t think it will make a difference as the drive train is pretty new and of good quality, but it cannot hurt.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

Mine is butter smooth right now......

of course, it's in the garage as it's snowing currently.

I get a little numbness in the right hand if I'm just droning along on the interstate (which I seldom do), but out in the twisty stuff where I'm moving around and working the throttle and brakes, it doesn't bother me at all.
    JD

'01 Futura

I replaced my front sprocket a while ago with one w/o the rubber and never noticed a change other than going from an old to new chain.

Guess you could always put a wrench on the motor mounts. They're usually more likely to be gorilla tight, but easy enough to check when you have the plastic off.

My throttle tube was a bit loose - it would slide a bit on the bar. That caused a bit of vibration. I added a thin washer between the grip and the cluster to take up the end play and though it wasn't much, it was noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by photoRotor View Post
    Mine is butter smooth right now......

of course, it's in the garage as it's snowing currently.

I get a little numbness in the right hand if I'm just droning along on the interstate (which I seldom do), but out in the twisty stuff where I'm moving around and working the throttle and brakes, it doesn't bother me at all.

The rain just changed to snow here. I've still not poured fuel into the snow thrower - I DARE IT TO SNOW, heh, heh.

Oddly enough, my Aprilia bikes have never given me any problems with numb hands. I recently tried out a BMW XR 1000 and that thing put my hands to sleep in 20 minutes.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post
    Oddly enough, my Aprilia bikes have never given me any problems with numb hands. I recently tried out a BMW XR 1000 and that thing put my hands to sleep in 20 minutes.
    If there's a gripe about that bike and the 1000S, it's the hand numbing tingle.

It's gotten a bit harder on my old bones to assume the Fut's riding position, but vibration has never been a problem for me either.

Other than that, what's your impression of that thing?
    JD

'01 Futura

Quote Originally Posted by photoRotor View Post
    Other than that, what's your impression of that thing?
    Other than that it seemed like a brilliant bike. The quick shifter seemed a bit abrupt, rather than seamless, but other than that is if quite good. Granted, I rode it on track two up which may have been a contributor to the hands, but I never ran into that on the Futura two up on track.

We are looking for something more comfy for me and the Missus, which is why we tried it. We also tried a KTM 1190 Super Adventure which we REALLY liked, but the heat coming off of it was a bit of a turn off.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

I've heard that the buzzy Beemer bars can be resolved with aftermarket bar ends. Might be worth researching if you liked the bike other than that.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    '07 Aprilia Tuono 1000 R
    '02 Aprilia Futura
    '02 Suzuki Bandit 1200
    '02 KTM 520 MXC SM

Quote Originally Posted by gubby07 View Post
    I've heard that the buzzy Beemer bars can be resolved with aftermarket bar ends. Might be worth researching if you liked the bike other than that.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    My friend that owns the bike has not found a solution yet...
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I know it’s a lot easier said than done on the Futura, but you might want to play with handlebar position. For example, my small finger tends to go numb on bars with too much pullback for me. Or not riding with heavy or snug gloves, which can also cause numbing problems.

Sam

apriliaforum expert
    On my Falco I have heat demon heated grip pads. Put on half a layer of electrical tape and use Renthal dual compound grips. Those grips are nice and soft and make long highway jaunts that much nicer.

For some time I had extra heavy bar-ends by motovation. After I lost one on the highway I went with a bit lighter R&G racing bar-ends. Noticed no difference with lighter bar end weights, but the renthal grips do really help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast