Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello, new member

apriliaforum prov-nov

Hello, new member

I didn't see an introduction thread so I'll say hi here. I've been riding for over 40 years, so you know I'm no Spring chicken . I owned several motorcycles, starting with a 1976 Suzuki RM125 and the last bike I bought was a 2015 Yamaha FZ09. I still have it and a 2004 Busa. I love standards, my favorite so far was a 2003 Yamaha FZ1, and that love has brought me to this forum. I'm ready to buy a 2017 Tuono, and can't decide whether to spend the extra cash for the Factory edition. I ride pretty aggressively, especially for my age , and my weight, about 220 lbs, so the Ohlins suspension sounds awesome. My question is, is it worth it? I like the RR seat better because of the pillion "accommodations", although I don't have any one passenger in mind

From what I've read, the Tuono will be my all time favorite and I can't wait. I currently live in Missouri but have plans upon retiring to move back to California, so to avoid problems registering the bike, I'm planning a trip to Los Angeles to purchase the bike. Not sure if I'll trailer it back or fly there and ride it back.

I've been reading this forum for a few days, lots of great information and a great bunch of people.

apriliaforum expert craigo298er's Avatar
    WAFO

If I were you, I'd see which state I'd have to pay less tax to (assuming MO), but then take registration and titling into account. In SC, there is a $300 max tax limit on motor vehicles, but we pay annual property tax on them. I had a '12 Tuono, and it was amazing. You won't be dissappointed

apriliaforum Member
    Welcome aboard, lots of info regards these bikes here, I'm still trying to organise picking my older model up, bloody Christmas and work getting in the way of the important things in life.

Welcome. Tons of info and smart people here. In reference to titling the bike in CA in the future - these bikes are 50 state legal. As long as you have/can show the homologation sticker on the bike (can't remember where it's located) you'll be fine at the CA DMV. Although, read up on transferring vehicles in... there used to be a 7500 mile requirement on bikes which would stop people from bringing non-CA legal bikes into state. I think that's not in force if the bike is CA legal, but can't remember. CA DMV website will have the info.

apriliaforum Member
    Not sure how long you've been out of California, but I would reconsider. I wouldn't live here, if I didn't have to.

It has totally gone to s**t in the last few years. Really bad. Buy it somewhere else so California doesn't get your tax money, like at AF1......
    2001 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, 2002 Aprilia Caponord, 1983 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III (sold), 1983 Yamaha 650 Turbo (sold), 1972 Honda CB750 (sold), 1981 Moto Guzzi V50 III (totaled), several Vespas and one Lambretta

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thanks for the replies and welcomes guys.

I did a little checking into titling an out of state bike in CA and it appears the 7500 mile rule does apply. I imagine I could put that many miles on it before I move if someone twists my arm . JBBenson, I moved to Missouri in '92, so yes, it's been a while. I know many areas have come across hard times, but I've visited my old stomping grounds, the Venice and Santa Monica area many times and I've always considered it home. Regardless, I appreciate your input very much. I just turned 60 and realize the grass appearing greener is often a mirage. I emailed with a guy at AF1; they have a couple of black RR's and a Factory and the price is the same as in Santa Monica. It would, however be a much easier logistically. I'm going to do more research on the titling issue and make a decision. I've decided to sell the FZ09 and for now, keep the Busa. I've owned it longer than any bike I've had and I've put thousands into it, from a Jay's Performance 1397 engine to having the forks reworked with Ohlins internals and had Race Tech redo the shock. It's a great bike but just too heavy for me to enjoy what I love the best; twisties and an occasional track day.

To keep this thread from being worthless, here are pics of my kids.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Busa.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	539.6 KB 
ID:	348445  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FZ09.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	548.9 KB 
ID:	348446  

getting back to your original question; RR vs factory; if you can afford the factory, why not do it? On the other hand, if you won't know the difference between Sachs and Ohlins then save the money. They are both great bikes, obviously the factory is greater. If you "settle" for the RR but can afford the factory, then you will always wonder "what might have been."

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by drift View Post
    getting back to your original question; RR vs factory; if you can afford the factory, why not do it? On the other hand, if you won't know the difference between Sachs and Ohlins then save the money. They are both great bikes, obviously the factory is greater. If you "settle" for the RR but can afford the factory, then you will always wonder "what might have been."
    Good point. The Tuono doesn't look like a real good passenger bike anyway so the seat consideration is probably moot.

Nope. I would never consider the Tuono worth a damn for passengers, and if you have the extra dosh, get the Factory. Yes, it's worth it.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post
    Nope. I would never consider the Tuono worth a damn for passengers, and if you have the extra dosh, get the Factory. Yes, it's worth it.
    Thanks meanstrk. Coming from a WERA man that means a lot

If it means anything, my Tuono is a standard version, but the suspension is full Factory spec including the wheels. Hell yes it is worth it!

At 52 years old, I am no spring chicken either, but I still coach with N2 Trackdays and use the Tuono in Novice group on occasion.
    Last edited by meanstrk; 12-26-2017 at 11:35 AM.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

apriliaforum expert
    ....or get the RR and patiently wait for a set of Factory Ohlins forks and shock. I have a '16 RR and put a factory Ohlins shock from a '16 on it for $400 (ebay) and a set of '16 Factory Ohlins forks with lower for $1000. I now have an Ohlins TTX for the Tuuono that i paid a mere $575 for. Let's not forget the Ohlins damper for $200 and the Gold Aprilia/OZ forged wheels for $1000 too. That's about $2700 in 'factory-esque' upgrades plus the forged rims that the Tuono Factory doesn't come with.

I think, (as well as my backpacks....errrr ....chicks) that the Tuono is great for passengers. They all praise it.

As has been said many many times before, most mortals can't outride stock suspension on a modern sportbike, especially on the street. Have the Sachs setup properly and ride on. I can't really tell the difference between the Ohlins and the Sachs on the street and I started racing in '94 for what it's worth. Mentally, we may think the Ohlins is better on the street, but are you turning faster times on your favorite backwoods road? I bought the Ohlins bits for the bling and I just can't pass up a good deal on anything.
    Current rigs:

'16 Tuono RR -street
    '13 RSV4 -race
    '13 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special
    '13 Yamaha WR450F
    '12 GSXR 600 - race
    '07 GSXR 750 - race
    '03 KDX 200
    '17 Tao Tao Hellcat - pit bike

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by motoracerx View Post
    .Mentally, we may think the Ohlins is better on the street, but are you turning faster times on your favorite backwoods road? I bought the Ohlins bits for the bling and I just can't pass up a good deal on anything.
    Confidence can be an invaluable weapon, and small differences in performance added to the better state of mind you mentioned can help. I think I'll go with the Factory

Thanks guys

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Oh No View Post
    Confidence can be an invaluable weapon, and small differences in performance added to the better state of mind you mentioned can help. I think I'll go with the Factory

Thanks guys
    Congrats.

I'm sure you would be happy with either but may always wonder what you might have missed in not getting the Factory.

Now you just have to figure out which state to buy it in.

Good luck and keep us posted.

WAfo!

I would think the best part of moving back to CA, other than the weather, is the roads. The roads, the roads, the roads. And the ability to ride them 12 months out of the year.

Keep us posted!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast